Running two servers on a Linksys box

MarkFromCanada1

Aug 25, 2010, 2:47:48 AM8/25/10
to The London Ontario Linux User's Group (LOLUG)
I have a stable (but older) server on my Linksys and have just
finished installing a new tower running Apache22. I have a listen
error saying the address is already in use and make_sock could not
bind addresss 192.168.2.102:80. Apache does not like the reference to
port 80.

My new server has a connection and is speaking to the world, as I can
FTP successfully directly within the linksys between computers.
Sendmail was workking too, before I turned it off during testing. It
is only Apache which will not start.

While I am comfortable with servers & code, this is the first time I
have tried to throw a second server on the line. Networks is not my
forte. For all I know it could be the Linksys settings, operating
system install or the Apache install.

My goal is to eventually use the old computer as a mail server and
migrate the DNS/web server to the second machine.

I would like to test things, before I interrupt production, though. I
was hoping to get a clean boot and manual access to the Linksys IP
address for testing before swapping boxes.

===

If anyone could throw me a bone as to things to consider when running
multiple boxes on a Linksys I could use some insight.

JP

Aug 25, 2010, 3:21:04 AM8/25/10
to lo...@googlegroups.com
if you have 2 servers, you can use netstat -lnp
on each machine. that will tell you which procs are listening where.
or lsof -i:80

John Van Ostrand

Aug 25, 2010, 8:50:26 AM8/25/10
to lo...@googlegroups.com
That error means that another service using the same port is already running
on that box. So there is already a web server running.

This can happen also if a service is restarted and the previous instance
still has a thread left over.

Look for another web server anc use "netstat -lnp" to see what is listening
on web ports.

===

MarkFromCanada1

Aug 26, 2010, 1:42:56 AM8/26/10
to The London Ontario Linux User's Group (LOLUG)

Thanks to all. The new operating system install came with a server
'silently" installed. When I removed it, apach22 came up clean.
(well, it ias a new system and new server so now I am in test mode.
Thanks a gain.

The port 80 in use was indeed a confliching Apache server.