Gismu audio crowd source project (was: Lojban on Memrise)

Jonathan Jones

Sep 6, 2012, 5:30:01 AM9/6/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Each job will be essentially the same, with the only difference between them being the actual words in your chunk

With that in mind, these are the skills and software that are required to do this job:

You must be able to recognize a gismu from it's pronunciation. This means that you must be able to identify and type the word solely from the audio. If you know Lojban's pronunciation, this is not difficult. This is required because while Lindar recorded the audio /mostly/ in frequency order, some were skipped, and some needed to be re-recorded. If you need a list of the gismu in frequency order, you can find it here: http://www.lojban.org/tiki/Word+frequency+lists%3A+gismu

It is possible that there are more of both unrecorded and badly recorded words (badly recorded being words that are unidentifiable for any reason). If you encounter either in the course of your job, you must be able to contact Lindar, likely preferably via email, to inform him of these words so that he can submit new recordings. In the case of a word or three, preferably to yourself. In the case of a chunk's worth of words, preferably to me so I can add the recording to the chunk list for claimage.

You must possess, on the computer you will be using to work on, Audacity, available for free here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You must possess, on the same computer, the LAME MP3 encoder. You can download it at this site: http://lame.sourceforge.net/, which provides the source code, or you can go here: http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php#Binaries to download a binary, or for Windows users you can download the .dll directly from the instructions page that I will make if I get any volunteers.

You must know how to collect a group of files into an archive. It does not matter if you use .zip, .rar, .7z, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz

, or any other format not mentioned.

You must know how to attach a file to an email.

You must be able to follow written instructions, which you can find here: http://tinyurl.com/gismu-instructions

Finally, you must be willing to sacrifice some of your free time to do the actual job. These last two are in my opinion no-brainers.

If you meet these criteria, please go to http://tinyurl.com/gacsp-signup, claim one or more chunks and type your name into the sign up field so everyone else knows you've claimed that chunk, and follow the download link to download your chunk in mp3 format.

There are 11 chunks total. Each chunk is ~6 minutes of audio, which based on my rather basic math should be ~100 gismu in each chunk.

When you have completed your chunk, place all the files into an archive and email them to me. Then, if you like, grab another chunk. If you don't like, go do something else.

I don't know how good of an incentive this is, but you should know that this audio, once it's been pulled apart into a usable format (the goal of this project), it will be the audio for the various learning programs currently in existence and probably for future ones as well. This means the current lessons on Anki and Memrise specifically, and more generally any other places where someone feels inclined to upload audio for how to pronounce the gismu.

--
mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.e'ucai ko cmima lo pilno be denpa bu .i doi.luk. mi patfu do zo'o
(Come to the Dot Side! Luke, I am your father. :D )

Jonathan Jones

Sep 6, 2012, 6:44:08 PM9/6/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
If anyone who is willing to help is not doing so because they think they don't enough Lojban for the task, this page of the CLL is /all/ the spefically Lojban knowledge that is required:

http://dag.github.com/cll/2/2/:

Lojban has six recognized vowels: “a”, “e”, “i”, “o”, “u” and “y”. The first five are roughly pronounced as “a” as in “father”, “e” as in “let”, “i” as in “machine”, “o” as in “dome” and “u” as in “flute”. “y” is pronounced as the sound called “schwa”, that is, as the unstressed “a” as in “about” or “around”.

Twelve consonants in Lojban are pronounced more or less as their counterparts are in English: “b”, “d”, “f”, “k”, “l”, “m”, “n”, “p”, “r”, “t”, “v” and “z”. The letter “c”, on the other hand is pronounced as the “sh” in “hush”, while “j” is its voiced counterpart, the sound of the “s” in “pleasure”. “g” is always pronounced as it is in “gift”, never as in “giant”. “s” is as in “sell”, never as in “rose”. The sound of “x” is not found in English in normal words. It is found as “ch” in Scottish “loch”, as “j” in Spanish “junta”, and as “ch” in German “Bach”; it also appears in the English interjection “yecchh!”. It gets easier to say as you practice it. The letter “r” can be trilled, but doesn’t have to be.

The Lojban diphthongs “ai”, “ei”, “oi”, and “au” are pronounced much as in the English words “sigh”, “say”, “boy”, and “how”. Other Lojban diphthongs begin with an “i” pronounced like English “y” (for example, “io” is pronounced “yo”) or else with a “u” pronounced like English “w” (for example, “ua” is pronounced “wa”).

All Lojban words are pronounced as they are spelled: there are no silent letters.

la .lindar.

Sep 7, 2012, 1:22:59 AM9/7/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
As incentive for participation, I will award participants one of the following:

1. A wicked-awesome commissioned drawing with Lojban stuffs on it.
2. A hand-written thank-you note in Lojban.
3. A picture of me somewhere in Hollywood holding up a sign that says, in Lojban, whatever you would like.
4. A musical vignette, in Lojban, about how awesome you are.

Álvaro Vallejo

Sep 8, 2012, 4:07:36 PM9/8/12
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com, loj...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This thread seems interesting, but I think it is incomplete. What is the background here? It just starts in the middle of I don't know what: "Each job will be essentially the same, with the only difference between them being the actual words in your chunk ..."

I thank in advance any clarification, maybe I can help with this.

BR,

Álvaro

Jonathan Jones

Sep 8, 2012, 4:27:25 PM9/8/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Exactly what you will be doing and how are laid out here: http://tinyurl.com/gismu-instructions

And as I already said on the top post, this audio, once it's been pulled apart into a usable format (the goal of this project), it will be the audio for the various learning programs currently in existence and probably for future ones as well. This means the current lessons on Anki and Memrise specifically, and more generally any other places where someone feels inclined to upload audio for how to pronounce the gismu.

That's why the thread is named "Gismu audio crowd source project": because it is a Project, which is being Crowd Sourced, to complete work on the Audio for the Gismu.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 8, 2012, 5:37:21 PM9/8/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I have edited the Project's instructions (http://tinyurl.com/gismu-instructions) to be more readable, and added a step I had originally forgotten which details what to do when you have finished with your chunk.

If you have already downloaded the instructions before this edit, I invite you to replace your copy with the newly edited one. Thank you.

iesk

Sep 9, 2012, 4:21:00 PM9/9/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
@ Lindar:

I am now working on chunk 8. One odd thing so far: As heard by me, you definitely say {pano panlo pano}. Which is interesting insofar as, if you didn’t mis-pronounce it two times out of three, my (German-native) ear recognises your (suppressed American-English-background, I guess) realisation of /l/ as … well, nothing.

By the way, I find your pronunciation surprisingly excellent so far! (The surprise is not because it is you who did the reading – I’m not familiar with your voice or usual accent – but because I hear no recognisable accent at all. It’s great!) Thanks for the audio.

iesk

la .lindar.

Sep 9, 2012, 5:03:05 PM9/9/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Please post here or e-mail me personally if there are errors or you need repeats. I'm going to re-record a mess of them later on (not today it seems) in one go. Also, if you're participating and want to grab one of those participation gifts, please let me know. The gifts are a hand-written thank-you note in Lojban (North America only, otherwise you'll get a scan of it e-mailed to you), a music vignette with Lojban lyrics, or a picture of me in Hollywood holding up a sign in Lojban saying whatever you'd like.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 9, 2012, 5:17:32 PM9/9/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunk11 is officially completed. It contained 58 gismu total, and, as it was longer than the other chunks by ~30 seconds, this means that there are obviously huge chunks of missing words. When all the chunks are complete, I'll compare what we have to the full gismu list and let Lindar know what we're missing.

Lindar, Salad (Nathan), may be contacting you about his reward shortly.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM, la .lindar. <lindar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please post here or e-mail me personally if there are errors or you need repeats. I'm going to re-record a mess of them later on (not today it seems) in one go. Also, if you're participating and want to grab one of those participation gifts, please let me know. The gifts are a hand-written thank-you note in Lojban (North America only, otherwise you'll get a scan of it e-mailed to you), a music vignette with Lojban lyrics, or a picture of me in Hollywood holding up a sign in Lojban saying whatever you'd like.

selpa'i

Sep 9, 2012, 6:12:44 PM9/9/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Completed chunk 4, which had 43 gismu in it. Took me roughly 30 minutes,
so those that haven't helped yet don't need to worry, it's not a huge
chunk of work.

mu'o mi'e la selpa'i

--
pilno zo le xu .i lo dei bangu cu se cmene zo lojbo .e nai zo lejbo

doị mèlbi mlenì'u
.i do càtlu ki'u
ma fe la xàmpre ŭu
.i do tìnsa càrmi
gi'e sìrji se tàrmi
.i taị bo pu cìtka lo gràna ku

la .lindar.

Sep 9, 2012, 7:49:35 PM9/9/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
According to the progress reports we're about one quarter of the way through.
Good job! That's super awesome! Thank you so much!

Jonathan Jones

Sep 9, 2012, 8:39:46 PM9/9/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, each of the chunks has less than half the expected amount of gismu. I had done my math based on each chunks having ~100 gismu each, with the final chunk having ~150. All of them chunks thus far have less than half of that. Since I know I'm not missing any audio, that means roughly half the gismu list hasn't been recorded. I'll find out which half when the current work is finished.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM, la .lindar. <lindar...@gmail.com> wrote:
According to the progress reports we're about one quarter of the way through.
Good job! That's super awesome! Thank you so much!

Pierre Abbat

Sep 10, 2012, 12:13:31 AM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I just selected another piece of speech and played it. "tiʀse ... tiʀse ...
tiʀse ... tirse ... tirse ... tirse ... ciblu". What do we call globin? :)

Pierre

--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 10, 2012, 1:05:51 AM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Pierre Abbat <ph...@phma.optus.nu> wrote:
I just selected another piece of speech and played it. "tiʀse ... tiʀse ...
tiʀse ... tirse ... tirse ... tirse ... ciblu". What do we call globin? :)

At a guess? blulanbi

Pierre

--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 10, 2012, 1:18:47 AM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunk10 is officially finished. It contained 54 gismu. This brings the total of completed gismu to 251, with 127 more near completion, and the total completed chunks of 11 to 2, with 3 nearing completion. I am exempting Chunk0- the work on this I did before crowd-sourcing it- from the chunk numbers.

Thank you again to Salad, I believe you are now entitled to two "gifts" from Lindar.

la .lindar.

Sep 10, 2012, 4:11:18 AM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Craaaaaaaaaap... apparently I skipped a big bit? I was reading from the list of words in the gismu deck on Memrise, so maybe that deck isn't complete? Ugh... Oh well... Did you get both files when you started the whole thing? I have them both saved to my Google Drive, so please make sure you've got both of them. If that's still not the whole list then please try to get me something by Wednesday when I'll have a day off and the apartment to myself.

For those of you that are helping, please let me know what gift you want and fill in the request portion if applicable.

la .lindar.

Sep 10, 2012, 4:11:39 AM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

iesk

Sep 10, 2012, 12:22:49 PM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I will. There is one unrecognisable (to me) word. Otherwise I'm done. I will mail the mystery word to you. Net access problems at home ... Just wanted to let you know that I'm not abandoning the work, can't edit progress file via phone for some reason. -Iesk PS: probably tomorrow cet -Iesk pps: can't delete any words i write here without deleting the whole message, stupid new Google groups, stupid Android phone aaaaarrrrgggh. -Iesk ppps: yes, it's brolken English Day over here. -Iesk

Jonathan Jones

Sep 10, 2012, 4:22:11 PM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunks 2,3,5, and 6 are officially finished. They contained 36, 44, 42, and 45 gismu respectively. There were  3 gismu in these chunks total that overlapped with chunk0, bringing the overlap total to 43. This brings the total of completed gismu to 361, and the total completed chunks of 11 to 6.

Thanks go to linkfree, who is now entitled to four "gifts" from Lindar.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 10, 2012, 4:25:07 PM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 4 is officially finished. It contained 43 gismu. This brings the total of completed gismu to 458, and the total completed chunks of 11 to 7.

Thanks go to selpa'i, who may or may not ask for one of from Lindar's gifts.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 10, 2012, 4:32:05 PM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 9 is officially finished. It contained 49 gismu. This brings the total of completed gismu to 507, and the total completed chunks of 11 to 8.

Thank you again Salad, for the three chunks you've brought to completion.

The remaining three chunks have been claimed and are in progress. The people working on these are Pierre, whose latest report says he has finished 38 gismu and is thus nearly finished, livefree, who had just begun work on chunk7, and iesk, who is working on chunk8 and is having some computer problems.

Thanks again to all of you who have helped so far, and to anyone who wants to help and hasn't had a chance yet: Once we finish these chunks, we will be able to determine which gismu has not recorded audio for yet, and so we'll have a bunch more chunks put onto the sign up sheet a few days or so after the first 11 are all finished, so don't be discouraged.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 10, 2012, 11:40:48 PM9/10/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Chunks 1 and 7 are officially finished. They contained 40 and 50 gismu respectively. This brings the total of completed gismu to 578, and the total completed chunks to 10.

Thanks go to Pierre and livefree for these two chunks. We are now just waiting for  iesk, who is working on chunk8 and is having some computer problems.

iesk

Sep 11, 2012, 9:01:50 AM9/11/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
done

Jonathan Jones

Sep 11, 2012, 4:07:28 PM9/11/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 8 is officially finished. This brings the total completed gismu to 623. All 11 chunks have been completed, so I will now figure out which gismu still need to be recorded and will send the list to Lindar, who will then record the new chunks, and I will let you all know when those are available.

Thanks to iesk for getting this done.

la .lindar.

Sep 11, 2012, 4:30:09 PM9/11/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
For those of you that want participation gifts, let me know so I can get them started now. la .iesk. is getting some pictures of Hollywood stuffs.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 11, 2012, 5:27:03 PM9/11/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
For anyone that's interested, here's the current state of the project.

Attached are three text files. "gismu.txt" is a list of all the gismum with the completed ones marked with a "//". "completed_gismu.txt" contains a list of all the gismu that are finished thus far. "gismu-second half.txt" contains the list of all the words that remain. All three text files are in alphabetical order.
completed_gismu.txt
gismu.txt
gismu-second half.txt

la .lindar.

Sep 13, 2012, 3:07:26 AM9/13/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting tomorrow, Thursday, after work.

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 12:45:28 AM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2twDfvSFg4nN2tyak1DT0FJWms

Chunk 12
(Sorry!!)

Next chunk coming soon.

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 1:19:55 AM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2twDfvSFg4nSFJDbUtFUmQyMlk

Chunk 13
(Kids, don't drink and voice act.)

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 3:34:31 AM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 14: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2twDfvSFg4nN2hKZzR5TGx4bG8

Oh man... I'm so sorry. Seriously.
I hope it's fun and not annoying.

More to come tomorrow.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 16, 2012, 3:44:41 AM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I haven't listened to any of these, so unless you're talking about the fact that you originally said you'd do these on Wednesday and it's now Saturday (or Sunday depending on where you live and how you count days (like for me, it's almost 2a.m. Saturday night, because I haven't gone to sleep yet)), what are you apologizing for?

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 5:09:19 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I haven't listened to any of these, so unless you're talking about the fact that you originally said you'd do these on Wednesday and it's now Saturday (or Sunday depending on where you live and how you count days (like for me, it's almost 2a.m. Saturday night, because I haven't gone to sleep yet)), what are you apologizing for?

Well, for being late (they made me come into work that day even though I told them I have therapy every Wednesday and I had other work to do) and for how much pissing around I was doing in each recording. Also, I was pretty drunk last night, so I flip-flop between really grabby/silly and sad/apologetic. I had fun, though. Gonna do more today after lunch. I'll probably finish today if I keep on it. It'll be about six hours, so I might not get all of it done today, but I'm sure going to try.

I very much would like to give thanks to everybody that is currently helping out.
You all are very fantastic!

After the gismu, who is up for doing all of the cmavo?
Then there's jbonunsla 2012 footage that still needs editing!
Then I have other projects for you!
Also, we could make audio books in Lojban.
=D

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 7:34:07 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 7:41:05 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 12-redux - The audio was messed up on chunk 12 at the beginning, so I redid some of them.

Jonathan Jones

Sep 16, 2012, 7:44:53 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Okay, is this the entire chunk12, or just the part that was messed up?

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM, la .lindar. <lindar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chunk 12-redux - The audio was messed up on chunk 12 at the beginning, so I redid some of them.

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 8:11:27 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Okay, is this the entire chunk12, or just the part that was messed up?

Just the messed up part.

Also, here's chunk 17.

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 8:25:52 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 9:13:14 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 19 !!
YAAAAYYY!!!
Getting close to done and I'm doing these a lot faster now that I'm not dicking around. Yaaaaay!

la .lindar.

Sep 16, 2012, 9:44:03 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com

Jonathan Jones

Sep 16, 2012, 11:06:20 PM9/16/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Okay, all but 5 of the new chunks have been recorded, so those of you who are willing to work on this, go ahead and start claiming your chunks now.

This time around, all but the final chunk have exactly 50 gismu apiece, and they're in alphabetical order.

la .lindar.

Sep 17, 2012, 12:24:42 AM9/17/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunk 21

There are some words that have really done me in. I suspect I'm going to have a list of things I've messed up from this and it's going to be about 20 words that have BL and LR consonant clusters.

la .lindar.

Sep 17, 2012, 1:04:43 AM9/17/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com

la .lindar.

Sep 17, 2012, 1:16:22 AM9/17/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com

la .lindar.

Sep 17, 2012, 1:31:36 AM9/17/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com

la .lindar.

Sep 17, 2012, 1:59:46 AM9/17/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
xD !!!!
aionys, I died laughing at your final note.
I was waiting the whole time to see what you put at the end.
"...get yourself something alcoholic to drink."
Can I at least finish the one in my hand first?
I lol'd.

I'm sure there are a few words I have to redo, but oh well.

=D

la .lindar.

Sep 21, 2012, 11:35:43 AM9/21/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
*bump*
There's still work that needs to be done. If you haven't volunteered, please do so. It only takes 30-60 minutes of your day to do one of these chunks.
Message has been deleted

Jonathan Jones

Sep 25, 2012, 7:11:38 PM9/25/12
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com, loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunks13, 15 and 21 are officially finished. Thanks go to livefree, .iesk., and .triliyn.

We still have 9 chunks that are unclaimed, so anyone that's willing to help, get off your butt!

Jonathan Jones

Sep 28, 2012, 2:49:54 PM9/28/12
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com, loj...@googlegroups.com
Chunks 12, 14, 17, and 19 are officially finished. Thanks go to Daniel Lyons for completing these chunks.

Chunk 18 is finished as well, thanks to .pier.

We now have 1,019 of the 1352 gismu audio finished, and only 6 more chunks to go until we're finished with this project. Keep up the good work!

Daniel Lyons

Sep 28, 2012, 4:44:28 PM9/28/12

On Friday, September 28, 2012 12:49:57 PM UTC-6, aionys wrote:
Chunks 12, 14, 17, and 19 are officially finished. Thanks go to Daniel Lyons for completing these chunks.

I hope there's somewhere to upload Lindar's hard lemonade remarks, even though they aren't germane to this project. It was rather cool to hear some casual Lojban.

Jonathan Jones

Nov 27, 2012, 8:01:44 PM11/27/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Minor update: I went onto the sign-up page to claim one of the chunks myself, and it turns out that now the only chunk that hasn't been claimed is Chunk25.

So, who wants to be the really awesome person that claims that final chunk?

For anyone that doesn't remember what we're doing here, the first message in this thread tells you what software, skills, etc. you need, and provides links to all the required stuff, including the instructions, which I'll repost here:

You must possess, on the same computer, the LAME MP3 encoder. You can download it at this site: http://lame.sourceforge.net/, which provides the source code, or you can go here: http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php#Binaries to download a binary, or for Windows users you can download the .dll directly from the sign-up page.