Diplomacy as Lojban proficiency test.

Robin Lee Powell

Feb 24, 2012, 2:32:29 PM2/24/12
to lojba...@lojban.org

So we've started a Diplomacy game (
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=80849 ). Diplomacy is
a game with extremely simple rules, where winning the game is based
more-or-less entirely on your ability to negotiate with the other
players (and then betray them at the best time :D).

I think this is a very good format for demonstrating proficiency, in
a manner similar to my commentary earlier about "if you can figure
out co-operative puzzles, you are competent". I imagine that
whether or not you can win at diplomacy with turns of a given length
says quite a bit about your proficiency with Lojban. Turns of, say,
two minutes long would push your Lojban ability to the limit, I
imagine.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ : Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
.i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i danfu lu na go'i li'u .e

Michael Turniansky

Feb 24, 2012, 2:55:13 PM2/24/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojba...@lojban.org
  Except I've always disliked that game :-/ (And I own over 300 board games).  Ah, well.  Might have to bite the bullet for the good of the jbocecmu
     --gejyspa

selpa'i

Feb 24, 2012, 3:07:59 PM2/24/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
It says I need a password to join in. What is the password?

--
lo xlarai se cinmo cu ka nonkansa kei na gi'e ka ba'o se tolmorji zo'e noi do ba ze'e na kakne lo nu tolmorji fi ke'a

MorphemeAddict

Feb 24, 2012, 3:38:18 PM2/24/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com, lojba...@lojban.org
This game sounds less a test of language ability than of game-playing or negotiating ability.

stevo

Matthew Walton

Feb 24, 2012, 4:05:21 PM2/24/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
But you can't negotiate if you don't speak the language to a level
beyond {mi pendo do}.

Robin Lee Powell

Feb 24, 2012, 6:52:43 PM2/24/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know the game is full, but I believe the password was
japvla

-Robin

MorphemeAddict

Feb 25, 2012, 2:33:06 AM2/25/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
True, but even speaking the language fluently doesn't mean a person will be able to play well.

stevo

Robin Lee Powell

Feb 25, 2012, 2:38:05 AM2/25/12
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Speaking well may or may not lead to being successful; failing to
speak effectively will without question lead to failure, however.

Over a sequence of games, assuming short turns and real differences
in fluency, some people will sometimes win, and some people will
never win; the former are advanced and the turns made shorter,
continue until bored.

It was a fairly idle thought, regardless.

-Robin