Distinction between jibni and simsa?

loj...@fagricipni.com

Sep 28, 2015, 10:25:41 PM9/28/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
mi'e la fagri cipni

From the gismu.txt list

jibni: x1 is near/close to/approximates x2 in property/quantity x3 (ka/ni)
simsa: x1 is similar/parallel to x2 in property/quantity x3 (ka/ni);
x1 looks/appears like x2

I assume that the "looks ... like" in "simsa"'s definition does not
mean that the property x3 must be an appearance-related property.
So what is the real difference in meaning between "jibni" and
"simsa". They both seem to mean basically the same thing. I
encountered this because I am working through the memrise gismu
course and this is giving me trouble in getting the correct word. I
also had some problems with "simlu" but it seems to mean _appears to
be_ under conditions x4; all I keep seeming to come up with are
visual effects; eg, under illumination with a restricted range of
light objects of one color will appear to be another color. But I
think I get the basic concept.

I'm not getting the difference between "jibni" and "simsa".

mu'o mi'e la fagri cipni

Pierre Abbat

Sep 29, 2015, 12:26:13 AM9/29/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
"jibni" is the opposite of "darno". If you're talking about any sort of
distance (or time), use "jibni"; if you're talking about resemblance, use
"simsa".

lo balfipmabru lo bakni cu jbimau lo ri'erxi'a lo pu'u jutfarvi .iku'i lo
bakni lo balfipmabru cu smimau lo ri'erxi'a lo ka citka lo stagi
Whales are closer than cows to hippopotami in evolution, but cows are more
like hippopotami than whales are in that they eat vegetables.

Pierre
--
When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.

Gleki Arxokuna

Sep 29, 2015, 1:53:32 AM9/29/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

I'm not getting the difference between "jibni" and "simsa".

jibni is used when the difference is something generally measurable, whereas simsa is about difference in quality.