Ordering rafsi in a lujvo

volcpitar

Jan 24, 2015, 11:34:29 PM1/24/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I looked up "house" and "apartment" on Jbovlaste and found "zdadi'u" and "kumyzda."  Why would "zdadi'u" not be more appropriate for "apartment building"?  How can the order of the rafsi in the two terms be inconsistent?

ravas

Jan 25, 2015, 4:57:33 PM1/25/15

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 8:34:29 PM UTC-8, volcpitar wrote:
I looked up "house" and "apartment" on Jbovlaste and found "zdadi'u" and "kumyzda."

I like using http://vlasisku.lojban.org/
Then you can place your mouse over the parts of a lujvo and see the gismu place structure.

Why would "zdadi'u" not be more appropriate for "apartment building"?

{kumyzda} splits into {kumfa zdani} which we can think of as "room type of home"
So it's referring to an apartment, not an apartment building.

How can the order of the rafsi in the two terms be inconsistent?

{zdadi'u} splits into {zdani dinju} which we can think of as "home type of building".
I think you will agree this makes more sense than "building type of home" since homes are generally buildings now.
This brings us to the fact that using zdadi'u will be overly specific in most cases (zdani is enough).

----

I'll leave explanation of lujvo creation and place structure for people who are qualified.
I haven't read about it yet: http://alexburka.com/lojban/cll/lojban.html#12

Pierre Abbat

Jan 25, 2015, 10:13:24 PM1/25/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
lo zdadi'u is a house building. It can contain one house or many, but it's not
a factory building, a bird's nest, or a cave. lo kumyzda is a house which is a
room in a building. An apartment is a section of a building, with its own
door, used as a house. Normally it is divided into rooms, but "kumyzda"
interprets the whole connected mass of rooms as one room.

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do