{trene3} is weird

Gleki Arxokuna

Nov 5, 2014, 4:35:40 AM11/5/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
What if a train moves from one railroad to another one?
All places of any given brivla must be inherent and inseparable. How can trene3 be inherent if usually train cars are constructed and trains can be assembled without having any particular railroad in mind?

Pierre Abbat

Nov 5, 2014, 7:27:50 PM11/5/14
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
You could put the track width there. That is an inherent property of the
train, unless you take the set of wheels off and put another set of wheels on
(there are places where they do this so that trains can continue on a track
with a different width).

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do

Michael Turniansky

Stela Selckiku

Feb 4, 2015, 5:51:30 PM2/4/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM, Gleki Arxokuna <gleki.is...@gmail.com> wrote:
What if a train moves from one railroad to another one?

It becomes a trene fi a different railroad.

All places of any given brivla must be inherent and inseparable. How can trene3 be inherent if usually train cars are constructed and trains can be assembled without having any particular railroad in mind?

It's worse than that: A train car isn't even a se trene at all until it's linked with other se trene to form a trene.

So maybe just give up and stop trying to have {trene} be a direct translation of "train" and just think about what it means? :)

It seems to me from the structure that what {trene} is talking about is the situation where there's a system of tracks (te trene) and on it run various chains (trene) of loosely connected cars (se trene) which are propelled around the system by some sort of propulsion system (ve trene). That's a sensible coherent thought, a useful thing there is in the world. It doesn't translate "train" or "train car" or anything like that, it only describes the whole relationship at once, you have to pull the pieces out with lujvo. Fortunately you get two really awesome rafsi for trene, -re'e- and -ren-, an end piece and also a middle piece with really meldy consonants, .u'a.

<3,
selkik

Bob LeChevalier

Feb 4, 2015, 8:17:16 PM2/4/15
On 2/4/2015 5:50 PM, Stela Selckiku wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM, Gleki Arxokuna
> <gleki.is...@gmail.com <mailto:gleki.is...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> What if a train moves from one railroad to another one?

It doesn't/cannot. It may move from one set of tracks to another, but
it remains part of the same rail system.

The generic English definition closest to x1 of trene is:
"a succession of vehicles or pack animals traveling in the same direction"

If one goes to a generic train, such as a caravan, there may be no
iron-tracks at all. The caravan may travel on a highway system, or
perhaps it is camels traveling on the x3 "The Silk Road" (from the
Middle East to China)

> It becomes a trene fi a different railroad.
>
> All places of any given brivla must be inherent and inseparable. How
> can trene3 be inherent if usually train cars are constructed and
> trains can be assembled without having any particular railroad in mind?

Rail train cars may be owned by several organizations, but the railroad
is operated by a single one, which assembles those cars into a train.

lojbab

MorphemeAddict

Feb 4, 2015, 10:25:19 PM2/4/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Here is the definition I have. Maybe it's obsolete now.
x1 is a train [vehicle] of cars/units x2 (mass) for rails/system/railroad x3, propelled by x4.
[a railed vehicle or train of vehicles; also subway (tu'unre'e), metro, trolley, tramway (= lajre'e), roller coaster; monorail (= dadre'e); cable car, sky car, ski lift (= cildadre'e)]

It seems pretty clear to me that it's talking only about railed transport systems and not caravans or animals.

stevo

Gleki Arxokuna

Feb 5, 2015, 1:35:00 AM2/5/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

So maybe just give up and stop trying to have {trene} be a direct translation of "train" and just think about what it means? :)

No, it's the job of authors of dictionaries to provide definitions that won't be confusing for other people.

So if it's a caravan then let it be defined that way in a better English style.