List of Lojban words for its grammatical classes

Timothy Lawrence

May 24, 2016, 10:06:50 PM5/24/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
What are the words for the available "grammatical classes" or "selma'o" in Lojban?

I see use of terms like "ZAhO" in English descriptions of Lojban but this must be ungrammatical in Lojban (which is all lowercase except for nonstandard stress, as far as I am aware)?

How are these discussed in Lojban?

Thanks,

Timotheos

Michael Turniansky

May 24, 2016, 10:14:46 PM5/24/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
 In terms of the grammatical classes, they use capital letters just to stand out more.  "h" is the capital version of ' So, ZAhO is the grammatical class typidifed by the word za'o
          --gejyspa

Timothy Lawrence

May 24, 2016, 11:04:08 PM5/24/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

Yes, but "za'o" can't be used in Lojban for both that word and its structural class because Lojban has only one definition per word.

In particular, how is this answered in Lojban?

ma selma'o zo za'o

(I hope that's correct Lojban?)

And what are the other word classes?

Yes, but "za'o" can't be used in Lojban for both that word and its structural class because Lojban has only one definition per word.

In particular, how is this answered in Lojban?

ma selma'o zo za'o

(I hope that's correct Lojban?)

la'e zo za'o  I think is probably the correct answer, although I'm not sure that's quite been settled by the lojbanic community.

And what are the other word classes?

  Well the front page of vlasisku ( http://vlasisku.lojban.org/ ) give you a nice cloud of them

             --gejyspa

Ilmen

May 25, 2016, 5:48:12 AM5/25/16
On 25/05/2016 05:04, Timothy Lawrence wrote:

Yes, but "za'o" can't be used in Lojban for both that word and its structural class because Lojban has only one definition per word.

In particular, how is this answered in Lojban?

ma selma'o zo za'o

(I hope that's correct Lojban?)

And what are the other word classes?

In order to talk about cmavo belonging to a particular selmaho in Lojban, you can either:
• use {lo cmavo be lo se cmavo be zo za'o} (= "the cmavo of the same selmaho as {za'o}), or {lo selma'o dunli be zo za'o} (= "the things equal to {za'o} in their selmaho");
• or use the experimenetal cmavo {ma'oi}, which belongs to the ZO selmaho (thus, same grammatical behavior as {zo}):  {lo cmavo be ma'oi za'o} = "the cmavo of selmaho ZAhO".

Here's a nice mindmap that classifies selmaho:
https://mind42.com/mindmap/03d7fb74-986c-4418-bb14-2dfb86d21dbc

mi'e la .ilmen. mu'o

Andrew

May 25, 2016, 5:52:23 PM5/25/16
to Lojban Beginners
I don't see this used nearly as often as the all-caps class name, but I think properly lojbo class names start with cmavr. So the lojbanic version of the class name ZAhO would be {cmavrza'o}.

See http://vlasisku.lojban.org/vlasisku/cmavrza'o

Timothy Lawrence

May 26, 2016, 11:17:07 PM5/26/16
to Lojban Beginners

"cmavrza'o" is a fu'ivla, i.e. a loanword? Does Lojban not have native terms for its own grammar?

I am by no means a Lojban expert, but I was presuming the logical construction would be to combine words with the base "selma'o".

Perhaps like:
temci (time interval) + selma'o (structure word class)
= temselma'o
= the class of structure words concerned with time intervals
= "ZEhA" (I think?)

May 27, 2016, 12:58:45 AM5/27/16
to Lojban Beginners, timothy....@connect.qut.edu.au
Calling {cmavrza'o} a fu'ivla does seem odd to me too, but the words are clearly "borrowed" from Lojban. {cmavrza'o} = {cmavo} + {za'o}. It's not like {admine}, which is clearly borrowed from the same Latin roots as the English word "administer".

Michael Turniansky

May 27, 2016, 11:05:56 AM5/27/16
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
selm'a o isn't a "base", though... it's the lujvo form of se cmavo .  "cmavrza'o" is of a class we call "zi'evla" ("free word"), which are lojban short forms that resemble fu'ivla, but come from strictly lojbanic roots.
        --gejyspa