Relative Clauses and Terminators

loj...@fagricipni.com

Sep 23, 2015, 11:30:16 PM9/23/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
mi'e la fagri cipni

mi djica lo nu mi klama lo zarci be lo cukta
I want the event of my going to a store that sells books.
I want to go to a book store.

If I wanted to get to the third place of "djica" here I believe that
I would need two terminators here: either "ku ku" or "be'o ku". The
first terminator, either "ku" or "be'o", terminates "lo cukta"; the
second, "ku" in both cases, terminates "lo zarci ...".

mu'o mi'e la fagri cipni

Jonathan Jones

Sep 23, 2015, 11:56:44 PM9/23/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
The sumti {lo zarci be lo cukta} doesn't need to be terminated, but you would need a kei to break out of the {lonu mi klama}.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.e'ucai ko cmima lo pilno be denpa bu .i doi.luk. mi patfu do zo'o
(Come to the Dot Side! Luke, I am your father. :D )

Jonathan Jones

Sep 23, 2015, 11:58:41 PM9/23/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com

Pierre Abbat

Sep 24, 2015, 9:52:09 PM9/24/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
The terminator for "nu" (and anything else in NU) is "kei". So if you put
"kei" after "cukta", you have "mi djica lo (nu mi klama lo zarci be lo cukta
kei)", which is equivalent to "mi djica lo brode", and you can put the x3 of
"djica" after that. Or you can put another selbri and make a tanru out of the
nu-clause.

NU begins a subordinate clause, the pronoun of which is "ce'u". A relative
clause is begun by NOI, whose terminator is "ku'o", and whose pronoun is
"ke'a". So:

do ckaji lo ka ce'u klama lo zarci
You have the property of going to a store.

mi klama lo zarci be lo cukta poi mi tcidu bu'u lo zdani be lo jbixa'u
I'm going to a store that sells the book I read at the neighbor's house.

If you do want to terminate the sentence with "ku" and then fill the third
place of "djica", you need three of them. Here's an example I came up with
years ago:
lo nu punji lo sovda be lo cipnrkuku ku ku ku zvati lo zdani be lo na'e
cipnrkuku ku ku
Laying the egg of a cuckoo is in the nest of a non-cuckoo.

Pierre
--
lo ponse be lo mruli ku po'o cu ga'ezga roda lo ka dinko