Chumash Ethnobotany "...and dried them in the sun for fifteen or twenty days."

ravas

Jan 24, 2015, 12:22:44 AM1/24/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
After collecting the acorns, the Chumash spread them out on mats and dried them in the sun for fifteen or twenty days.
la .tcumac. bagi crepu da poi cindynarge gi pejgau da lo matci gi'e sudgau da sepi'o le solri

I'm aware of {djedi}; however, I don't know how to put it all together.

e'o sidju

Jorge Llambías

Jan 24, 2015, 7:27:41 AM1/24/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
... ze'a lo djedi be li pa mu ji'i re no

mu'o mi'e xorxes

selpa'i

Jan 24, 2015, 7:43:55 AM1/24/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
la .ravas. cu cusku di'e
> After collecting the acorns, the Chumash spread them out on mats and
> dried them in the sun for fifteen or twenty days.
> la .tcumac. bagi crepu da poi cindynarge gi pejgau da lo matci gi'e
> sudgau da sepi'o le solri

(keeping your sentence structure)

la .tcumac. ba gi crepu lo cindynarge gi pejgau ri lo matci gi'e gasnu
lo nu lo solgu'i ze'a lo djedi be li ji'i pamu ji'i reno cu jai sudri'a
lo cindynarge

Yes, it looks a bit more complicated, but using {gasnu} is important to
get the right scope. You don't necesserily want to say that the "making
it happen" takes 20 days (it should only take a minute or so to place
them on the mats). The caused event however is to last 20 days.

(In your sentence, there is a slight problem with quantification. {crepu
da poi cindynarge} talks about singular (.i.e. individual) acorns, but
then you continue to say that each acorn individually "spreads out" on a
mat. I'd prefer a plural referent in the x1 of preja. Under the current
singularist logic, you have to use {lo} or the experimental {su'oi} to
get plurals. I'm putting this in brackets because it's too advanced for
the beginners list, but important enough to be mentioned. There is a lot
that can be said about the translated sentence!)

mi'e la selpu'a si selpa'i mu'o

ravas

Jan 25, 2015, 1:52:50 AM1/25/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
xorxes: ... ze'a lo djedi be li pa mu ji'i re no

ki'esai .io

selpa'i:

(keeping your sentence structure)

xu do zmanei lo frica stura

la .tcumac. ba gi crepu lo cindynarge gi pejgau ri lo matci gi'e gasnu
lo nu lo solgu'i ze'a lo djedi be li ji'i pamu ji'i reno cu jai sudri'a
lo cindynarge

ki'esai .io

Pierre Abbat

Jan 25, 2015, 10:09:00 PM1/25/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I'd say "lo tcumaco" (arbitrary end vowel).
ba lo nu crepu loi cindynarge kei lo tcumaco cu pejgau ra lo matci gi'e gasnu
lo nu lo solgu'i cu sudri'a ru ze'a lo djedi be li pamu bi'i reno

mu'omi'e .piier.
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

ravas

Jan 26, 2015, 4:06:07 AM1/26/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com, ph...@bezitopo.org

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 7:09:00 PM UTC-8, Pierre Abbat wrote:

I'd say "lo tcumaco" (arbitrary end vowel).
ba lo nu crepu loi cindynarge kei lo tcumaco cu pejgau ra lo matci gi'e gasnu
lo nu lo solgu'i cu sudri'a ru ze'a lo djedi be li pamu bi'i reno

 ki'esai .piier.

pe'a mu co galtu