how to say "for obvious reasons"?

scot...@libero.it

Jul 19, 2015, 10:37:32 AM7/19/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I've been studying modals and I was wondering how you could say things like "I did this for obvious reasons".
The best translation I can think of is mi pu co'e mu'i tu'a lo li'armi mukti, but I don't find this very convincing since tu'a [sumti] = lo nu/su'u [sumti] co'e, and I don't know what that co'e could be in this case. One answer that comes to mind is that tu'a lo li'armi mukti = lo su'u lo li'armi mukti cu zasti, but when you say that you did something for obvious reasons it doesn't seem to me that you're saying I did something because a self evident motive exists.
Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

selpa'i

Jul 19, 2015, 10:49:55 AM7/19/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
scot...@libero.it:
> I've been studying modals and I was wondering how you could say things
> like "I did this for obvious reasons".
> The best translation I can think of is *mi pu co'e mu'i tu'a lo li'armi
> mukti*, but I don't find this very convincing since *tu'a [sumti]* = *lo
> nu/su'u [sumti] co'e*, and I don't know what that co'e could be in this
> case.

(Welcome to the list!)

I think I would say {mi pu co'e mu'i lo jai li'armi}, where {lo jai
li'armi} is implicitly {lo mukti poi lo du'u mi pu co'e mu'i ke'a cu
li'armi} - "motivations which are such that it's obvious that they are
the motivations for doing co'e", in short "obvious motivations".

mi'e la selpa'i mu'o

Message has been deleted

ScottMtc

Jul 19, 2015, 11:47:35 AM7/19/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
(Welcome to the list!)
(^_^)

{mi pu co'e mu'i lo jai li'armi}, where  {lo mukti poi lo du'u mi pu co'e mu'i ke'a cu

li'armi} - "motivations which are such that it's obvious that they are
the motivations for doing co'e", in short "obvious motivations".

.oi that's convoluted, but I got it. Thanks. If someone would say that differently I'd like to hear their version too.

Bob LeChevalier

Jul 19, 2015, 1:48:39 PM7/19/15
On 7/19/2015 10:10 AM, scot...@libero.it wrote:
> I've been studying modals and I was wondering how you could say things
> like "I did this for obvious reasons".
> The best translation I can think of is *mi pu co'e mu'i tu'a lo li'armi
> mukti*, but I don't find this very convincing since *tu'a [sumti]* = *lo
> nu/su'u [sumti] co'e*, and I don't know what that co'e could be in this
> case. One answer that comes to mind is that *tu'a lo li'armi mukti* =
> *lo su'u lo li'armi mukti cu zasti*, but when you say that you did
> something for obvious reasons it doesn't seem to me that you're saying
> /I did something because a self evident motive exists/.
> Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Depending on what you mean by "obvious" :
mu'i zu'i (for the usual/normally implied motive)

mu'i zo'e (for some plausible motive that isn't worth stating - since
this is the default, actually saying zo'e adds emphasis, i.e "for a
motive I should not need to make explicit") - this may be semantically
more or less the same as your attempt to use co'e, but is much simpler

mu'i leka/leza'i ri racli (motivated by it being the rational thing -
with reasoning not made explicit)

there are other meanings of "obvious" that would bring in different
brivla instead of racli, such as sarcu, fadni, lakne, kampu, probably
needing some sort of abstraction like I used in the racli example, but
perhaps with different structure because of the way the places are defined

lojbab

ScottMtc

Jul 20, 2015, 9:27:15 AM7/20/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
Depending on what you mean by "obvious" :
mu'i zu'i (for the usual/normally implied motive)
This is a nice one. Thanks. I wasn't too familiar with zu'i and I didn't think about using zo'e, although, I don't really like zo'e here... it's too generic (mu'i zoe sounds more like "some motive I don't care to say, for whatever reason")

by obvious reason I meant a reason that I think my listener will intuitively understand.