loj...@fagricipni.com

Sep 19, 2015, 1:12:08 PM9/19/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
mi'e fagri cipni

>On 19.09.2015 04:29, H. Felton wrote:
>> coi ro do .i mi'e fagri cipni
>
>coi do
>
>> Well, I'm am the prodigal child returning. OK, that's probably not
> the most apropos of metaphors; but I do feel bad for disappearing
> so long ago. I still have The Complete Lojban Language book and have
> been reading it again. Unfortunately, I have also forgotten a lot
> of things.
>
> mi ze'u pu [1] na'e gleki
> I have not been happy for a long time.
> * I am best trying to describe my depression here.
>
>I use "dribi'a" for "depression". I thought it was on jbovlaste, but I
>see it's not. I shall add it.
>
>> [1] I believe that this is the correct order: for a long time [ze'u]
>> in the past [pu].
>
>Yes, depending on what you mean. If the long time in the past is
>adjacent to the present moment, then "ze'u pu" is the right order.

drani
That is correct.
(The statement of my intended meaning, the first sumti is an implied
"zo'e", so what is correct is vague, but should be apparent.)

>> .i mi co'a ca gleki
>> I am starting to become happy.

>> .i vecnu lo cukta .a lo junla [2] mi
>> I bought a book and a clock.
>
>".a" is inclusive or, you need ".e".

.e'e nai
I should have caught that one; though, oddly enough, it is still a
correct statement, just not what I meant.

Note, I am presently including English translations of most of my
Lojban, so that mistakes in my Lojban can be caught, just as you did
here.

>I'd say it as:
>
>"mi .erve lo cukta .e lo junla"
>
>(".erve" is just a shortening of "terve'u")

".erve" for "terve'u"? How does that work?

>mi'e la selpa'i mu'o

"la selpa'i"? Would "beloved" be an intended translation of your
name?

mu'o

selpahi

Sep 20, 2015, 7:53:11 AM9/20/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
la fagri cipni cu cusku di'e
>> ".a" is inclusive or, you need ".e".
>
> .e'e nai

( This is another thing that has changed, see:
https://mw.lojban.org/papri/BPFK_Section:_Irrealis_Attitudinals#cmavo:_.e.27e_.28UI1.29
)

>> I'd say it as:
>>
>> "mi .erve lo cukta .e lo junla"
>>
>> (".erve" is just a shortening of "terve'u")
>
> ".erve" for "terve'u"? How does that work?

".erve" is just another word that is defined in the dictionary:

http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/dict/erve

>> mi'e la selpa'i mu'o
>
> "la selpa'i"? Would "beloved" be an intended translation of your
> name?

Well, "Beloved" (with a capital B) is a possible translation, or
Amando/Amanda, etc, but I wouldn't actually translate my name to any of
those. The meaning of "selpa'i" is "beloved", but I'm just selpa'i, even
in English.

That reminds me. When you said "mi'e fagri cipni" you said "I am a fire
bird". You need to use "la" to refer to something as a name.

H. Felton

Sep 20, 2015, 12:11:40 PM9/20/15
to Lojban Beginners
coi mi'e la fagri cipni

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 7:53:11 AM UTC-4, selpa'i wrote:
> la fagri cipni cu cusku di'e
>>> ".a" is inclusive or, you need ".e".
>>
>> .e'e nai
>
> ( This is another thing that has changed, see:
> https://mw.lojban.org/papri/BPFK_Section:_Irrealis_Attitudinals#cmavo:_.e.27e_.28UI1.29
> )
The new definition is definitely not what I meant to say.

> That reminds me. When you said "mi'e fagri cipni" you said "I am a fire
> bird". You need to use "la" to refer to something as a name.

I just checked The Book, and, yes the vocatives take a "le"-type
descriptor when fed a selbri; I'd have to be pretty weird in what I
considered a "fire bird".

>> "la selpa'i"?  Would "beloved" be an intended translation of your
>> name?
>
> Well, "Beloved" (with a capital B) is a possible translation, or
> Amando/Amanda, etc, but I wouldn't actually translate my name to any of
> those. The meaning of "selpa'i" is "beloved", but I'm just selpa'i, even
> in English.

Perhaps translation is the wrong word.  I have never used the name
"Phoenix" in RL, but I started using as it as a username at a low
point in my life, meaning to refer to the legend of the Phoenix as
described in this little interaction in 2010: Odyssey Two / 2010: The
Year We Make Contact:

    [Chandra: ] " ... Now please open a new file -- here is the
    name."  ... Chandra typed out: PHOENIX.

    "Do you know what that is?" he asked Sal.

    "A fabulous bird, reborn from the ashes of its earlier life."

Well, fairly quickly I found that it had been used at many sites.  I
was also trying to come up with my lojbo cmene (Lojbanic name) at the
time.  For a brief time I used "la ror,k" (this was pre-dotside) as my
lojbo cmene.  I started out by trying to Lojbanize the sounds of
"Phoenix", but then I started thinking of how to make a brivla of it
instead, which was legal by the book, but at the time I knew of no one
with a selbri name; I finally decided to go with a tanru (which is
a selbri).

The point is that I did choose my name for the meaning rather than
the sound.  Though, I could imagine someone choosing a selbri name
for sound.  One example of a possibility that I have seen is
"la ka trina" for someone named "Katrina" in English.  There's also
the interesting question of whether one could use "la marca" for
"Marsha".  "marca" is a _morphologically_ valid brivla, though an
unassigned gismu.  The only problem I see with making brivla cmene
with unassigned gismu or using unassigned rafsi is that a meaning
might later be assigned, possibly leaving one with unflattering
meaning for one's name.

Long story, short.  I chose "la fagri cipni" because of the meaning
of the selbri.  I now see that a "translation" of "Amanda" would be
one way to end up with a cmene of "la selpa'i"; I hadn't thought of
using the meaning that a non-Lojban name was derived from as a source
for a lojbo cmene.

mi'e la fagri cipni mu'o