Question about learning grammar

James Woodburn

Apr 21, 2015, 1:17:10 PM4/21/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
First, I am just learning (second week), and while I believe I am believe that I have a good handle on things so far, I believe that I would do better with some examples to work through.

I have worked through the first 10 wave lessons, and have been going through the Wave lessons on Memrise.  Which while helpful for learning the "vocabulary", it isn't doing a lot for me as far as learning the grammar.  The Wave lessons had an Exercise in the first or second lesson, but that has been it.

I have also worked through some of the Crash Course by la gleki (thank you for the work).  The crash course has a number of "task" to complete, but that is only for Lesson 1.

Are there any additional resources that I can tap into that I haven't seen yet?  I know that there are some texts available that I can work through as well, but am not sure what a good introductory text might be (kind of a "Dick and Jane" book might be nice.)

Finally, I would like to ask about my name.  My actual name isn't very original or unique.  However, I played Everquest for a number of years had a Dwarven Cleric that I named Hobbletoe Clubfoot, and that I use for most of my on-line activities.  So, I was thinking that my lojban name could be, la .'abltos.  Would that be correct for Hobbletoe?

Thank you.

Robert Slaughter

Apr 21, 2015, 1:23:49 PM4/21/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
The Level 0 book, which has parts a bit dated, is a traditional textbook mode resource. Including a good walk-through of the grammar basics.

http://www.lojban.org/publications/level0/lojbanLevel0.pdf

Then there is the CLL (Complete Lojban language) 0.99:

It's has both errat from when published, as well as recent changes not reflected within.

Bob Slaughter
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." -- Plato
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." -- Albert Einstein

selpa'i

Apr 21, 2015, 1:36:20 PM4/21/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
la'o me. James Woodburn .me cusku di'e
> First, I am just learning (second week)

Welcome! Enjoy the ride.

> , and while I believe I am
> believe that I have a good handle on things so far, I believe that I
> would do better with some examples to work through.

I believe that, too. Sadly all the textbooks are short on examples.

> I have worked through the first 10 wave lessons, and have been going
> through the Wave lessons on Memrise. Which while helpful for learning
> the "vocabulary", it isn't doing a lot for me as far as learning the
> grammar. The Wave lessons had an Exercise in the first or second
> lesson, but that has been it.
>
> I have also worked through some of the Crash Course by la gleki (thank
> you for the work). The crash course has a number of "task" to complete,
> but that is only for Lesson 1.
>
> Are there any additional resources that I can tap into that I haven't
> seen yet? I know that there are some texts available that I can work
> through as well, but am not sure what a good introductory text might be
> (kind of a "Dick and Jane" book might be nice.)

There is the much older Lojban for Beginners:
http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/lojbanbrochure/lessons/book1.html

Some people seem to like it better than e.g. the Wave Lessons, and it
has more examples, but you should be aware that it teaches a slightly
older version of Lojban (lacking xorlo and dotside, for example).

There is also the CLL: https://lojban.github.io/cll/

The Lojban reference grammar. Not a textbook, but it can be useful if
you want to look up how a certain part of the grammar works.

I would suggest that you read whatever you can find, take what you find
useful from each of them, skip the stuff you don't care about, and then
try to read real texts as soon as you possibly can. There aren't really
hard or easy texts; you'll usually see the same grammar used every time,
and it's really not a lot of grammar, though you'll see a lot of
different words of course, which is good because learning words in
context is the best method. My personal recommendations are:

The Little Prince (translated by xorxes):
http://students.mimuw.edu.pl/~js/lpp/lpp.html

Alice in Wonderland (translated by xorxes):
http://alis.lojban.org/

Read them a million times, as I have.

(The Wizard of Oz also exists (http://selpahi.de/oz.html))

> Finally, I would like to ask about my name. My actual name isn't very
> original or unique. However, I played Everquest for a number of years
> had a Dwarven Cleric that I named Hobbletoe Clubfoot, and that I use for
> most of my on-line activities. So, I was thinking that my lojban name
> could be, la .'abltos. Would that be correct for Hobbletoe?

Almost. {'} can only appear between vowels. We usually use {x} to render
word-initial "h", so it'd be {la .xabltos.}.

mi'e la selpa'i mu'o