Confusion with {be}

Nathan Daly

Jan 30, 2015, 11:52:06 AM1/30/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
I don't really understand what {be} really is, can you guys explain to me what it's supposed to do in an easily understood way?

Gleki Arxokuna

Jan 30, 2015, 12:14:56 PM1/30/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
In short in corresponds to English "of" that is attached to nouns.

{sazri} = to drive
{sazri lo karce} = to drive a car
{lo sazri} = driver
{lo sazri be lo karce} = driver of a car

http://mw.lojban.org/lmw/The_Crash_Course_(a_draft)#Places_for_nouns

I hope a more precise explanation will follow in this thread.

I don't really understand what {be} really is, can you guys explain to me what it's supposed to do in an easily understood way?

Michael Turniansky

Jan 30, 2015, 1:46:44 PM1/30/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com
  Functionally, it ties together the selbri (the "verb", if you will, of the sentence) with the sumti (argument) that follows it:

lo gerku [ku] cu klama lo zarci [ku] -- The dog goes to the store.
lo gerku cu klama be lo zarci -- The dog is a goer-to-the-store

  These two sentences basically mean the same thing (there is a slight difference in meaning which we needn't go into right now unless you are interested).  So why the be?  Well, it becomes necessary if you want to talk about a compound subject.  What if I wanted to say "The goer to the store is fast?"  I can't say *"lo klama [ku] lo zarci [ku] cu sutra" because that means "the goer is fast in performing the store (whatever THAT means!?=the x2 of sutra).  So in order for the location, the store, to be linked together with the action of going, I need "be":
   lo klama be lo zarci [ku] [be'o] [ku]  cu sutra (the goer-to-the-store is fast)
                  --gejyspa

ravas

Jan 30, 2015, 2:22:46 PM1/30/15
to lojban-b...@googlegroups.com, flesk...@gmail.com

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 8:52:06 AM UTC-8, Nathan Daly wrote:
I don't really understand what {be} really is, can you guys explain to me what it's supposed to do in an easily understood way?

be
sumti link to attach sumti (default x2) to a selbri; used in descriptions.

I have completed four trips around the sun.
mi ba'o vo roi mo'u litru lo sruri be lo solri

{lo solri} becomes the x2 of {sruri} by using {be}.
If we did not use {be}, then {lo solri} would be the x3 of {litru}.

sruri
    x1 encircles/encloses/is surrounding x2 in direction(s)/dimension(s)/plane x3.