Getting LOD thesaurus IDs into Wikidata

Ethan Gruber

Nov 12, 2015, 8:32:13 AM11/12/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

By now, many of us have discovered how useful of a tool Wikidata is for coreferencing thesauri. There are IDs in Wikidata for many of the LAM thesauri that we use, from VIAF to Geonames to the Getty vocabularies.

Does anyone in the list have knowledge about how to get new IDs from other thesauri into Wikidata?

Ethan

Bob Kosovsky

Nov 12, 2015, 8:43:15 AM11/12/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Folks into Wikidata have their own email list where you could ask that question.  Subscribe at:

blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blog/author/44   Twitter: @kos2
 Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users
- My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions -

Maarten Brinkerink

Nov 12, 2015, 9:27:10 AM11/12/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Do please report back what their answer was!

Best,

Maarten

Vladimir Alexiev

Nov 14, 2015, 11:39:04 AM11/14/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
> Does anyone in the list have knowledge about how to get new IDs from other thesauri into Wikidata?

Hi Ethan!

Which one(s) do you want to put in?

- first you make a property proposal at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Authority_control. I can help you with the formatting, just do {{ping|Vladimir Alexiev}} in there
- there you describe the authority (dataset) and what data is available. It's pretty much a prerequisite to have a resolvable page for every resource (that goes into formatterURL).
- you also describe where the data can be obtained and what's the easiest format to consume
- then you ping Magnus at https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Magnus_Manske
to load the dataset for coreferencing at https://tools.wmflabs.org/mix-n-match/.

See some shots and news here: https://twitter.com/hashtag/coreferencing

There's also https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Authority_control where we could discuss some more special topics.

Cheers!

Ethan Gruber

Nov 16, 2015, 1:01:58 PM11/16/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to get Nomisma IDs into the system first.

Ethan

Tom Morris

Nov 16, 2015, 1:19:23 PM11/16/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Ethan Gruber <ewg4...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to get Nomisma IDs into the system first.

If that's this Nomisma: http://nomisma.org/id/ephesus
it, at least for this example, is already linked to Wikidata with skos:closeMatch to http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q47611

The fact that it's closeMatch, not exactMatch, may mean that it's not appropriate to add the ID going the other direction since the semantics of that is usually exactMatch.

If you've got a triple store loaded with both the Nomisma RDF and the Wikidata RDF, you should be able to take advantage of the current links to query across the two of them together.

Tom

Ethan Gruber

Nov 16, 2015, 1:36:11 PM11/16/15
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Mints in numismatics are corporate entities that may or may not have been located at a particular known geospatial location, so http://nomisma.org/id/epheusus isn't really exactly the same thing as the Wikidata entity for Ephesus. We do have other Nomisma entities that are exact matches for Wikidata entities and perhaps exist in no other LAM authority records.

It's great to see that there are some tools available for coreferencing already. We have a lot of dbpedia or wikidata URIs as skos:exactMatch in Nomisma already, so hopefully this will be a fairly simple process.