Results from the International Linked Data Survey for Implementers

Richard Wallis

Sep 9, 2014, 4:09:17 AM9/9/14
to lod...@googlegroups.com
On behalf of OCLC Research:

Many thanks to all of you who participated in the international linked data survey for implementers or disseminated the survey link! I’ve been summarizing the results in a series of HangingTogether posts, which just concluded today:

·        Linked Data Survey results 1 – Who’s doing it

·        Linked Data Survey results 6 - Advice from the implementers

At the end of the last post is a link to the spreadsheet with the compilation of all survey responses (minus the contact information which we promised respondents we’d keep confidential). Feel free to apply your own filters to the responses, or look at them more closely.

We also updated OCLC Linked Data Research activity page to include the link to the above spreadsheet and the hangingtogether blog series (the sixth one to be added soon) so they’re all in one place.

I’d be interested in your reactions!

Cheers,

Karen S-Y

Richard Wallis

Sep 9, 2014, 7:49:48 AM9/9/14
to lod...@googlegroups.com
On behalf of Karen at OCLC Research:

Jon Voss

Sep 9, 2014, 12:58:43 PM9/9/14
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this Richard (and Karen), it's amazing work. And I really appreciate that you've shared your analysis as well as the raw responses.  It's *hugely* helpful in getting a broader understanding of the community (at least the library subset) innovating in this space.

I think we've got a lot of work to do yet on the Open part of Linked Open Data, which to me is a critical part of growing a sustainable ecosystem of open knowledge.  There's been a lot of progress, and I'd say the pendulum is swinging toward Open, with the five largest datasets clearly utilizing open licenses. But it gets pretty muddy after that.  This is why I think we have to keep pushing for Linked Open Data, and continue to support ongoing discussions, development of legal/policy tools, and reinforcing rewards for utilizing open licenses.

I've taken the liberty of rewriting Karen's table in part 4 with the largest linked datasets, just adding in a couple of columns related to licensing.

Jon

The largest linked data datasets reporting in descending order, with licensing:

Project/Service Source Size License Open?
WorldCat.org OCLC 15 billion triples e) CCO 1.0 Universal Yes
WorldCat.org Works OCLC  5 billion triples e) CCO 1.0 Universal Yes
Europeana Europeana Foundation  3,798,446,742 triples for the pilot LOD service e) CCO 1.0 Universal Yes
The European Library The European Library 2,131,947,229 triples e) CCO 1.0 Universal Yes
Linked Open Data Research Libraries UK 936,054,853 triples a) We don’t announce any explicit license. No
Opendata Charles University in Prague 750 million triples Other (please specify) The license is based on French State Open License; the linked dataset has not yet been released No
Semantic Web Collection British Museum 100-500 million triples Other (please specify) Open Data licence Yes?
Drug Encyclopedia Charles University in Prague 100-500 million triples e) CCO 1.0 Universal Yes
Cedar project DANS 100-500 million triples Other (please specify) TBD Not Yet
id.loc.gov Library of Congress 100-500 million triples a) We don’t announce any explicit license. No?
British National Bibliography British Library   50-100 million triples Other (please specify) Open as possible, but also dealing with research project data and enrichment. No?
British Art collection Yale Center for British Art   57 million triples Other (please specify) see http://britishart.yale.edu/open-data-and-data-services-terms-use Yes?

Licenses: 16 projects/services do not announce any explicit license. Of the ones that do, CC0 1.0 Universal is the most common (15), followed by Public Domain Dedication and License or PPDL (7).  A few apply Open Data Commons Attribution (ODC-BY), Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODC-ODbl) or ODC-ShareAlike Community Norms. Other licenses mentioned: ODC-BY-SA (Attribution-ShareAlike), but considering ODC-BY; Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (BY-NC-ND); French State Open License-based; and a link to a specific set of data services terms.

Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director

ph. 415-935-4701

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco

Owen Stephens

Sep 9, 2014, 1:24:38 PM9/9/14
to lod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

Agree about licensing completely, but just wanted to correct the RLUK line (5th line) - this is released under a CC0 license (this is correct in the spreadsheet)
Perhaps also worth noting though that this (afaik) part of the TEL release so essentially line 5 is a subset of line 4 I think

Owen

Jon Voss

Sep 9, 2014, 1:59:45 PM9/9/14
to lod...@googlegroups.com, Owen Stephens
Thanks Owen!
I totally screwed up my table.  Here it is corrected.

Jon

Project/Service Source Size License Open?
WorldCat.org OCLC 15 billion triples
ODC-BY ~Yes
WorldCat.org Works OCLC  5 billion triples
ODC-BY ~Yes
Europeana Europeana Foundation  3,798,446,742 triples for the pilot LOD service
CC0 1.0 Universal Yes
The European Library The European Library 2,131,947,229 triples
CC0 1.0 Universal Yes
Linked Open Data Research Libraries UK 936,054,853 triples
CC0 1.0 Universal Yes
Opendata Charles University in Prague 750 million triples a) We don’t announce any explicit license. No
Semantic Web Collection British Museum 100-500 million triples
Other (please specify) Open Data licence (no assertion on the website) ~Yes?
Drug Encyclopedia Charles University in Prague 100-500 million triples
a) We don’t announce any explicit license. No
Cedar project DANS 100-500 million triples
a) We don’t announce any explicit license. No
id.loc.gov Library of Congress 100-500 million triples
b) Public Domain Dedication and License (PDDL) Yes