Re: [Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Proposal for LNC's consideration

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 21, 2017, 10:12:17 PM4/21/17
to Carlos Sierra, Libertarian National Committee list

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your message and interest in contracting with the Libertarian Party, and apologies for just now getting around to reading this and responding, what with travel and all. I'm a bit confused though;we heard from Paladin Communications at our meeting last weekend, but this is the first I recall hearing about a proposal from your company Renegade Public Affairs and partners IVC Media and NationBuilder. After reading the attached documents you've sent us, I do have some questions/concerns.

1) Your proposal contains language that appears to take credit for a surprisingly large amount of the Johnson/Weld campaign and its metrics or accomplishments (e.g. "Our team oversaw the entire field operation in all 50 states for the Johnson-Weld campaign... Through our efforts, we recruited and trained more than 75,000 volunteers, state directors, volunteer directors, and field organizers in their respective states" and "In partnership with the LNC, we were able to obtain ballot access in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. at an affordable cost to the LNC and the Johnson-Weld Campaign") What detailed evidence can you provide that it was your team's involvement, and not that of other paid and unpaid campaign workers and party members, that was mainly responsible for these and other accomplishments cited, and that the positive things you mention wouldn't have happened anyway without your involvement? On the flip side, are you willing to accept blame for any aspects of the campaign that did not go well? If so, please describe.

2) If we were to take your team up on its proposal, how committed would you be to transparency (e.g. disclosing the full terms of any contract you might sign with us, how much each person employed by your team is being paid and exactly what work they are doing, etc.)? Can you point to anything your team members did proactively to enhance transparency in the Johnson-Weld campaign, or on other projects with which you've been involved? What effect do you think paying your requested terms ($25,000 per month retainer for 300 hours minimum work per month plus 25% of all new online donations and 10% of store sales, not counting additional thousands per month in NationBuilder fees) would have on the motivation of people to donate to the LP, knowing that a minimum of 25% of their donations would effectively be going to overhead (over and above any existing overhead)? What effect do you think paying your team members up to $83 per hour (based on monthly retainer and hours proposal) would have on the motivation of volunteers to donate their time to the party? How would you address these considerations and factor them into your approach?

3) Are you familiar with the Cluetrain Manifesto (Cluetrain.com)? If not, please check it out and share your thoughts about the marketing and communications advice found there: What parts do you agree with? Disagree with? How would the Cluetrain insights impact your work on developing strategy, marketing, etc., for the Libertarian Party, if at all?

4) What do the Non-Aggression Principle and the Libertarian Party's Statement of Principles mean to you? How important is it in your view that the Libertarian Party be a bottom-up organization run by its members, as opposed to a top-down organization run like a typical corporation, and what relation if any do you think the party's governance structure and culture have to keeping the Libertarian Party libertarian? What in your view should the LP do to avoid the fate of the establishment parties that make up the dominant 2-party cartel, namely becoming statist organizations dominated by people in it for the money and/or power rather than for the cause of freedom, and that serve the interests of their elected officials and leaders and the monied special interests that fund them, rather than the interests of their grassroots supporters? How would accepting your proposal help the LP avoid this fate?

5) Maintaining a balanced budget while accepting your proposal would obviously require us to cut spending in other areas, unless you and your partners would be willing to make any payments to you contingent upon revenues increasing enough to cover them without affecting any other priorities. Looking at the LP's current budget – a recent draft budget is attached – where would you recommend we cut spending and why?

If you choose to respond, please endeavor to fully address each question asked while keeping your answers reasonably succinct (say, no more than 10 times longer than this message), avoid marketing jargon, and be as specific as you can.

Love & Liberty,
                                   ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                                 (415) 625-FREE
                                   @StarchildSF

LNC_Budget_2017_DRAFT_7A.xls
Libertarian National Committee Proposal.pdf
Libertarian National Committee Proposal 2.pdf