[Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Motion- LP of Colorado and Riot Fest - request for co-sponsors

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 23, 2016, 9:03:17 PM6/23/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I brought this up on the list before and took the discussion off list with Wes, Robert, and Nick, and it was decided that this is something that the LNC would need to decide.

The background once again, and this blurb is from the Chair of the LPCO Jay North:

==Colorado would like to have the LNC help fund Riot Fest in Denver Colorado for September 2-4.  The cost of the event is $800, $200 for insurance and $100 for additional volunteer passes.  The minimum cost to LPCO for the event is $1000.  LPCO is requesting the LNC to help cover the costs of the event as Riot Fest is a national event held in Colorado.  The LPCO has already approved funding of $800.  LPCO would like LNC to contribute at least $200 or more as they see fit.  LPCO will share all contact information gathered at the event.==

Thus in accordance with Colorado's request, I propose these motions:

Move that the LNC provide $600.00 to LPCO for the Riot Fest event.

Move that the LNC direct Andy Burns attend the event and to bring national materials, as he sees fit, to be given and sold, with any proceeds thereof going to the LNC.

I would like to add my own commentary.  I am bringing these at the request of Colorado as their regional representative.  However, I have a conflict of interest in that I sit on the LPCO board and thus would abstain from any vote on this matter.  And I would like to remind any affiliate in my region that if they had an event that had a national scope that they wished for me to bring to the attention of the LNC in this manner, I would do so.

--
In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 23, 2016, 9:41:09 PM6/23/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

I will co-sponsor this with you, Caryn Ann.

Brett

**This message sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 8:28:19 AM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Thank you Brett.  Will anyone else?

Some may note that Joshua brought up points on future policy and indicated that it could help be shaped by debate on this motion.

Yes I could wait and try to get this in theJuly  meeting (which I am now convinced was a big mistake to get done in one day but was too green to know better to object in Orlando) but that likely will be too late for CO as this space sells out quickly and will be opened up any day (though it may be by then and thus I would bring it up)

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 9:09:38 AM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I would co-sponsor the first part of the motion concerning funding (although I think it would could be handled quicker and easier in person at the upcoming LNC meeting).  I object to the LNC dictating the use of staff resources and would oppose this part of the motion.

Live Free,

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 11:35:03 AM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Okay so I have two co-sponsors for the first part.... will anyone else please consider this?

We will have very limited time in Vegas (and it may be too late for CO to get the booth by then), so I would like to dispose of this via email.

In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos
Region 1 Representative
(Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington)

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 3:06:16 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I will also co sponsor the motion.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 4:54:27 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Andy Burns is not an employee of the LNC.  He is a contractor.  That means we have to avoid doing things that a judge would say made him an employee and obligated us to payroll taxes and other benefits of being an employee.

We can't dictate to him very much about how his job is done.  We can give him goals we want accomplished, but he has great freedom to decide how that gets done, what days/hours he works, etc.

If we adopt a motion directing him as though he is an employee, that's legally problematic.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 5:04:53 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Plus we would have to pay Andy's expenses for this state visit.  I still sponsor only the first part of the motion and
I'm not clear on the intent of the other co-sponsors.

Sam

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 5:06:00 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Thank you Alicia, I will withdraw that request on the second motion and notify LPCO.

However, there are three co-sponsors in addition to myself on the first motion.  I believe this means that the first one can be requested for email vote?  Am I correct?

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 5:12:39 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Caryn,

I think you have to refine your motion as to where the money will come from in the current budget.  You might want to ask Tim Hagan (off line) if there is enough left in Affiliate Support.

Sam

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 5:17:51 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Sam will I have to then ask the three co-sponsors if they agree again?

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 5:21:47 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

I doubt they would object unless you find a strange place to get the money!

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 24, 2016, 5:24:34 PM6/24/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
LOL I was going to say Sam was paying for it.  I sent Tim an email.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 25, 2016, 10:50:47 PM6/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I heard from Tim that there is $24,600 left in budget for affiliate support.  So I would slightly amend my motion to:

Move that the LNC provide $600.00 to LPCO for the Riot Fest event.  These funds would come from the budget for Affiliate Support.

I want to be sure that my co-sponsors Brett, Daniel, and Sam do not object to that addition.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 25, 2016, 11:12:06 PM6/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I will co-sponsor this motion.

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 25, 2016, 11:50:48 PM6/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I will co-sponsor this new motion.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 26, 2016, 9:27:39 AM6/26/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Sorry for my delayed response, everyone.

I reaffirm my willingness to co-sponsor Caryn Ann's motion as it now reads.