[Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Definition of Staff

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 22, 2017, 9:13:42 AM4/22/17
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Colleagues,

What does the term "staff" mean in relation to the LNC? I haven't found that term defined. Is there some official definition of this that I can be pointed to? What does everyone on the LNC consider it to mean?

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 22, 2017, 9:34:32 AM4/22/17
to Libertarian National Committee list
I view it more broadly at times, and more narrowly at times. Aren't volunteers "staff" at times?  I think they are.

-Caryn Ann

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:30 AM, Brett Bittner <brett....@lp.org> wrote:
To me, it is a term that means anyone that is employed or contracted by the Party.

While I realize that may not be the appropriate legal (read: tax implication) term, it is how I use it.

I hope this helps,

Brett

**This message sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

On Apr 22, 2017 9:13 AM, "Daniel Hayes" <daniel...@icloud.com> wrote:
Colleagues,

What does the term "staff" mean in relation to the LNC?  I haven't found that term defined.  Is there some official definition of this that I can be pointed to? What does everyone on the LNC consider it to mean?

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos
Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Har...@LP.org
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee

A haiku to the Statement of Principles:
We defend your rights
And oppose the use of force
Taxation is theft

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 22, 2017, 12:48:15 PM4/22/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I agree with Brett.  Paid employees and paid contractors are staff and volunteers are
volunteers.  A broader definition might lead to problems we don't anticipate at this time.

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 22, 2017, 1:30:13 PM4/22/17
to Libertarian National Committee list
I agree the broader definition leads to problems.  But I think it is the way it works out in reality like it or not.  Is Nick staff?  No, technically not.  Are we?  No, technically not.  But when members hear us speak, they don't always see the difference.

Thus my comments.

-Caryn Ann

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 22, 2017, 2:51:14 PM4/22/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I don't think there is any confusion between staff and the governing board of
an organization.  Staff implements the policies set by the board and is directly
supervised by the Chair.

Sam

Sam Goldstein

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos <carynan...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 22, 2017, 3:53:27 PM4/22/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
There may not be with us.  I don't think it is so clear with members.

But that is the extent of my comments. I certainly don't consider any committee member staff.

I don't think this line is clear with volunteers.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 24, 2017, 10:55:39 PM4/24/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I don't consider LNC members/officers to be staff.
I do acknowledge that 'staff' is paid, and 'volunteer staff' is not.
I would say that both types of staff members are subject to the will of the LNC and/or ED when it comes to party-related activities.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 24, 2017, 11:00:17 PM4/24/17
to Libertarian National Committee list
Whitney hit it - there is volunteer "staff."

I didn't word things this way but I just noticed on the LPCO page we have "Volunteer Staff" listed.

There is paid staff.  And there is volunteer staff.

- Caryn Ann

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 24, 2017, 11:06:17 PM4/24/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I am not concerned with how affiliates define staff.  I am talking about how the term is used within the LNC.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Apr 24, 2017, 11:10:15 PM4/24/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Based on this thread, I think the answer to Mr. Hayes' question is "not consistently."

Joshua A. Katz