[Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Email Ballot 2016-12: LPKY SCOTUS Appeal

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 25, 2016, 3:08:06 PM9/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
We have an electronic mail ballot.

Votes are due to the LNC-Business list by October 5, 2016 at 11:59:59pm Pacific time.

Co-Sponsors:  Katz, Harlos, Redpath, Hayes

Motion:  The LNC will allocate from Legal Offense $2000 to fund a petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court in the Kentucky Ballot Access case.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 25, 2016, 3:09:26 PM9/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Yes

In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos
Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Har...@LP.org
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 25, 2016, 3:28:28 PM9/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote Yes.

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 25, 2016, 3:30:16 PM9/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Yes

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 25, 2016, 3:51:05 PM9/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I'm going to want more information on this before I vote.  Sometimes there are quite strategic considerations to whether or not a particular case should be appealed, and those things should not be discussed in front of Democrats and Republicans on a public list.

I checked Ballot Access News and didn't see this case in the first three pages of articles.  Can someone post the link where I can get a little more detail so I'm not voting in the dark?

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 25, 2016, 4:17:31 PM9/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I'm going to need a clarification on the two Kentucky ballots. The LNC has a Legal Offense Restricted Fund Account, which is from donations earmarked for that fund. We also have a Litigation line item in the budget. The Legal Offense Fund contains $25. The 2016 Budget has $5,559 left in the 75-Litigation line. However, the Litigation budget line also covers the appeal of the FEC lawsuit concerning contribution limits on bequests. E-mail ballot 2016-06 authorized $5000 from "Legal Offense budget line" for Arizona ballot access.

We have several options if the Kentucky motions pass:

Pay these out of the Legal Offense Fund, and wait for that restricted fund to get enough donations.

Transfer enough of the Unrestricted Cash to the Legal Offense Restricted Fund to fund the motions.

Pay these from the 75-Litigation line in the 2016 Budget, which would need to be increased.

Budgets get reset at the beginning of each year. If the funds are not needed until next year, we can include them in the 2017 Budget's 75-Litigation line.

Or give the Treasurer free reign to decide. (not my preference)

What is the intent of the mover of the motion?

Thanks,
Tim Hagan

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 27, 2016, 12:55:47 PM9/27/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote yes on e-mail ballot 2016-12
Ed Marsh
Region 2 Rep
Florida,Georgia,Tennessee

Sep 27, 2016, 5:26:26 PM9/27/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Here are the links from BAN on the KY ballot access case.  Unfortunately, we received word today that the petition to have it re-heard en banc was rejected by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.  I still think it would be wise for the LNC to hold an Executive Session meeting with Chris Wiest and Oliver Hall to have questions answered.

Case filed in federal court:

Oral arguments:

Case expedited:

Appeal to 6th Circuit:

Filing for re-hearing en banc:

---

Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
LPKY Judicial Committee

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 27, 2016, 10:43:43 PM9/27/16
to Ed Marsh, lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Alicia, I vote YES on e-mail ballot 2016-12

Thoughts?

Celebrate Life, Set the Bar High and LIVE FREE!

The Invisible Hand of Self-Interest is Mightier Than the Sword of Government!

~David Pratt Demarest

http://www.lpne.org

secr...@lpne.org

dpdem...@centurylink.net

david.d...@firstdata.com

Cell: 402-981-6469

Home: 402-493-0873

Sep 28, 2016, 1:52:58 PM9/28/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

As Region 3 alternate, I vote aye on SCOTUS appeal.

---

Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
LNC Region 3 Alternate Representative
LPKY Judicial Committee

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 28, 2016, 4:01:19 PM9/28/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

I vote yes.

Patrick McKnight
Region 8 Rep

On Sep 28, 2016 2:34 PM, "William Redpath" <wred...@gmail.com> wrote:
I vote Yes.  Bill Redpath

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Oct 3, 2016, 4:13:49 PM10/3/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote AYE.

Whitney Bilyeu
Region 7 Representative

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 9:22 PM, James Lark <jw...@eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:
Dear colleagues:

    I hope all is well with you.  I am writing in my capacity as Region 5 representative to vote "aye" on the motion.

    As always, thanks for your work for liberty.

    Take care,
    Jim

    James W. Lark, III
    Advisor, The Liberty Coalition
    University of Virginia

    Region 5 Representative, Libertarian National Committee
-----

On 9/25/2016 3:07 PM, Alicia Mattson wrote:
We have an electronic mail ballot.

Votes are due to the LNC-Business list by October 5, 2016 at 11:59:59pm Pacific time.

Co-Sponsors:  Katz, Harlos, Redpath, Hayes

Motion:  The LNC will allocate from Legal Offense $2000 to fund a petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court in the Kentucky Ballot Access case.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Oct 3, 2016, 11:28:35 PM10/3/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote yes.

Tim Hagan

Oct 5, 2016, 5:20:35 AM10/5/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I abstain on this one.

Frankly, I don't feel I know enough to cast an educated vote.  Thank you, Ken, for the numerous links you provided to details about the case.  I read them and also looked at the linked briefs.  To a non-lawyer, Mr. Wiest seems to make pretty clear explanations of how outrageous the situation is, and seems to do a good job of debunking the counter-arguments.

Just being right isn't always enough to make a particular case well suited for a SCOTUS appeal.  The potential side effects of a stupidly adverse ruling have to be considered.  Right now the court is missing one judge, so it is being fairly cautious about which cases it will accept because of the high potential for 4-4 ties.  Does that increase the chances that we'll spend money to no avail because the court won't take the case?

Ken had suggested that perhaps we have a phone call with our legal advisors, but here we are at the end of the vote and we haven't had that conversation.  This is an example of what I said on a previous thread about the need to sometimes gather info prior to starting email ballots because the voting deadline comes whether or not you've received the information you wanted in the meantime.

When he's giving us such a bargain, I doubt that Mr. Wiest is inclined to waste his own time and effort on a case he doesn't believe can effect change.  That thought alone almost pushes me to vote, but not quite.

Without the minimum step of having a conversation with our legal counsel, I still feel like I'd be voting somewhat blindly, so I'm abstaining.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Oct 5, 2016, 6:21:33 PM10/5/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote no.

Joshua A. Katz
Westbrook CT Planning Commission (L in R seat)

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Oct 7, 2016, 2:47:23 AM10/7/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Voting has ended for the email ballot shown below.

Voting "aye":  Bilyeu, Demarest, Goldstein, Hagan, Harlos, Hayes, Lark, Marsh, McKnight, Moellman, Redpath

Voting "nay":  Katz

Express Abstention:  Mattson

With a final vote tally of 11-1, the motion PASSES.