[Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Email Ballot 2016-04: Amend Gun Rights Resolution

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 14, 2016, 2:13:17 AM8/14/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
We have an electronic mail ballot.

Votes are due to the LNC-Business list by August 23, 2016 at 11:59:59pm Pacific time.

Co-Sponsors:  Starchild, Vohra, Harlos, Demarest

Motion:  amend the resolution adopted in Email Ballot 2016-03 as follows:

WHEREAS, Libertarians affirm that self-defense is an inherent human right; and

WHEREAS, the Platform of the Libertarian Party opposes all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition; and

WHEREAS, the Platform of the Libertarian Party affirms the right of due process and denydenies the legitimacy of laws against victimless "crimes”; and

WHEREAS, the governments in the United States have has steadily encroached upon these rights by illegitimately regulating and restricting access for to firearms and ammunition and may further seek to deprive people who have been convicted of no crime of their inherent right to full abrogate civil rights, and indeed the basic human right, to self-defense by prohibiting access denying their civil and inherent rights to obtain firearms and ammunition even in cases where a person has not been convicted of any crime; and

WHEREAS some recent statements by Libertarian candidates appearing in the media have the potential to cause confusion among members of the public regarding how Libertarians view these issues;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Libertarian National Committee opposes any law or policy which would deny or restrict any person's access to any firearms or ammunition to any person simply for being placed as a result of their name appearing on any a government watch or no-fly list, and reaffirms its call to repeal both our party's opposition to any further and oppose any existing or proposed regulations on firearms and ammunition as described above and our demand that all such existing regulations be repealed, and calls upon Libertarian candidates to uphold our party's pro-freedom stance.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 14, 2016, 3:56:56 AM8/14/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Aye
--
In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 14, 2016, 6:52:46 AM8/14/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Thanks for adding the strikeouts I forgot to include in a couple places Alicia. You are very thorough!

I vote yes on the motion.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                               (415) 625-FREE

On Aug 13, 2016, at 11:12 PM, Alicia Mattson wrote:

[...]

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 14, 2016, 7:56:01 AM8/14/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org, david.d...@firstdata.com

I vote Aye on Email Ballot 2016-04 to “amend the resolution adopted in Email Ballot 2016-03”.

~David Pratt Demarest

Region 6 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (NE, IA, IL, MN, MO, ND, WI)

[...]

Untitled attachment 00212.txt

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 14, 2016, 2:57:39 PM8/14/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
No

Sam Goldstein
Libertarian National Committee
Member at Large
8925 N Meridian St, Ste 101
Indianapolis IN 46260

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 15, 2016, 10:05:48 AM8/15/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Aye

On Aug 14, 2016 3:37 PM, "Brett Bittner" <brett....@lp.org> wrote:
I vote no in my capacity as Region 3 Representative.

Brett C. Bittner

Region 3 Representative

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Brett Bittner <brett....@gmail.com> wrote:
I vote no in my capacity as Region 3 Representative.

Brett C. Bittner

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 16, 2016, 10:53:54 PM8/16/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote no.

Tim Hagan

Aug 21, 2016, 8:00:49 AM8/21/16
to Ed Marsh, lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Yes on Starchild's Amendment.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 21, 2016, 12:11:57 PM8/21/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

I vote No.

Whitney Bilyeu

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 21, 2016, 12:54:19 PM8/21/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Nay.

Patrick McKnight
Region 8 Rep

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 22, 2016, 9:27:59 PM8/22/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

I vote No.

Aaron Starr

(805) 404-8693 Mobile

star...@gmail.com

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 23, 2016, 5:51:13 PM8/23/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I vote no.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 25, 2016, 5:01:43 PM8/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Voting has ended for the email ballot shown below.

Voting "aye":  Demarest, Harlos, Hayes, Lark, Starchild, Vohra

Voting "nay":  Bilyeu, Bittner, Goldstein, Hagan, Katz, Marsh, Mattson, McKnight, Starr

With a final vote tally of 6-9, the motion did not meet the 3/4 vote threshold required by Bylaws Article 7.11 to adopt public policy resolutions, so it FAILS.

For 10 days there has been no objection to correcting the deny/denies grammatical error in the original version of email ballot 2016-03, so that has been approved.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 25, 2016, 5:17:45 PM8/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

RONR states that ASPA takes a majority with notice, 2/3, or q majority of the entire membership. However, it also states (don't have the book with me so I can't give the exact words ) that the vote required for ASPA is at least what was required to adopt originally. Our SRO increasing the vote threshold, then, carries with it ASPA.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 25, 2016, 7:33:46 PM8/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
If it did not work that way we could always get around the 3/4 vote by simply replacing an old public policy resolution with a new one.

Aaron Starr

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 25, 2016, 11:13:53 PM8/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
The motion to amend the public policy resolution is simply a proposal that we adopt a different public policy resolution, so it is still subject to the bylaw requirement for adopting public policy resolutions.

-Alicia

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 25, 2016, 11:27:24 PM8/25/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Thank you every one, it makes perfect sense.