[Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Example of How Libertarianism works and a call for Attention/Help

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 17, 2016, 11:42:31 AM8/17/16
to lnc-business
 Members,
I tried to send this yesterday but apparently our LP Firewall decided to blacklist my mobile IP. Hopefully Mr. Kraus got that fixed for me.

I am not sure if everyone is aware of what's going on in Louisiana right now.  We have a major disaster on our hands.  It's kind of surreal for me because while the NOLA area has gotten some moderately heavy rain, it's not even the hardest rain I have seen in the last 3 months.  Yet, only 40 or so miles to the west we have whole towns virtually underwater. I suspect NOLA got spared by a sliver though we have an advanced flood control system that might have mitigated some of it.  I don't watch the news hardly ever, so when I see friends of mine talking on Facebook about the water in their homes and businesses, or having to be rescued in a boat, it's kind of stunning. So many of them are so close, but things are so normal over in my direction.

I'd like everyone to keep in mind what's going here.  If the opportunity arises for some assistance, please lend a hand however you can.  In the meantime, I wanted to share this story written by Kevin Boyd.   Kevin keeps writing things that surprise me and that tell me his inner libertarian is struggling to break free of his "conservatism".  I am not remotely close to him but members expect to meet Kevin in 2018 as I suspect he will be lurking around our convention.   This particular story shows the "We can do it, who needs the government" attitude that pervades Louisiana.  Most of them are libertarians at their core and Libertarians waiting to happen.  Here's Kevin's story about the "Cajun Navy" getting out and saving the lives of people and animals.

Don't forget to pay attention and do what you can to help out, we have a lot of Libertarians that lost everything.  Some had insurance but others were not in flood zones and got caught by surprise.
There have been more than a few libertarians that have asked for Gary Johnson to address what is going on.  This is being called a 500 year flood. What is know as a monsoon depression sort of parked over the Baton Rouge area resulting in historic flooding.   A monsoon depression is like a hurricane without the wind.  It draws the water from the gulf and dumps it in the affected areas.

Once again, just letting people know what is going on as I have seen more than one request for attention from the National LP and our nominee.  I realize we are a political party in the midst of doing what parties do, and we don't have a ton of resources but anything helps.

Here's Kevin's short article.

http://thehayride.com/2016/08/meet-the-heroes-of-the-cajun-navy-who-are-saving-many-lives-as-louisiana-floods/

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 17, 2016, 12:37:02 PM8/17/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

My parent's home in Baton Rouge was spared, but my 86 year-old uncle's apartment took on 4 inches of flood water, and he stubbornly never left of course. Many of my friends and a few of my wife's in-laws flooded as well.

One of our primary yard sign vendors just happens to be in Baton Rouge and was surrounded by flood waters but stayed dry (I had my father drive out to see them because they weren't returning calls or emails). We have over 5,000 signs on order with them. Many of their employees were unable to work due to their own homes flooding or road closures so those orders are delayed. I've added more suppliers since then and expect only minor interruptions due to the flood. We were already behind on filling sign orders but I have been ordering heavily and hiring packaging temps rapidly lately and hope to be to the point again where we are able to pack and ship orders within 48 hours of receiving them soon. But it may take 10 days for us to work through our backlog and get to that point. Map of road closures a few days ago around that sign company is below.

As usual, the Libertarian Party of Louisiana waited until the last minute to turn in electors to the Secretary of State and just got them in on the very last day. 2012 was turned in on the last day after I made calls to the state chair to personally meet him at the S.O.S. office (that year the delay was blamed on electors not returning calls, gasoline bills, etc.  I think in 2008 they missed the deadline due to hurricane (as the excuse that time) and our nominee failed to make the ballot.

Too many states are waiting till the last minute to finish petition drives or turn in paperwork. It is very frustrating and burns up critical staff and LNC committee time and adds unneeded stress and cost. Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, riots, heart attacks and family emergencies happen routinely and the odds of problems are especially high when you consider 50 states involved.  We've got to figure out how to get our affiliates to work ahead. Maybe we can recruit some "preppers" to petition in advance and turn in paperwork or at least to instill the sense of urgency. I have a financial incentive idea for the future.

Give my best to all struggling to overcome the natural disasters in Louisiana and a kick in the derriere to my friend Rufus for waiting till the last minute to get the paperwork in.

Wes Benedict, Executive Director
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
1444 Duke St., Alexandria, VA 22314
(202) 333-0008 ext. 232, wes.be...@lp.org
facebook.com/libertarians @LPNational
Join the Libertarian Party at: http://lp.org/membership

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 19, 2016, 2:57:17 AM8/19/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Sounds like shades of Hurricane Katrina again! I wonder how much of this was likewise preventable... It reminds me of a book I read (technically an audio book I listened to) by Dave Eggers called Zeitoun. It's the true story of one small business owner and his family, and how they were impacted by government-perpetrated injustice in the wake of Katrina. Contains some good libertarian themes about people helping themselves and each other, as well as about the inefficiency, stupidity, and cruelty of the State.

If we let members post on our website, we could have online community forums for natural disasters like this, dedicated to putting Libertarians in touch with other Libertarians and helping each other out.

Love & Liberty,
                                   ((( starchild )))
At-Large Representative, Libertarian National Committee
                                (415) 625-FREE

On Aug 17, 2016, at 9:41 AM, Wes Benedict wrote:

[...]

<clfnpemdmnggaond.png>

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Aug 19, 2016, 3:11:39 AM8/19/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org, lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
And expect goverment to try and use this as an excuse to grow in 3.. oh wait..never mind.  It already did..

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member