Re: [Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Seeking cosponsors - candidate support

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 12, 2017, 11:53:19 PM6/12/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Perhaps someone should determine whether that level of contribution will result in the LNC having to file reports in Nebraska.

http://www.nadc.nebraska.gov/

Aaron Starr

(805) 404-8693 Mobile

star...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 12:39:19 AM6/13/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I will co-sponsor.

In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos
Region 1 Representative, Libertarian National Committee (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Washington) - Caryn.Ann. Har...@LP.org
Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado
Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee

A haiku to the Statement of Principles:
We defend your rights
And oppose the use of force
Taxation is theft

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 12:02:36 PM6/13/17
to Libertarian National Committee list

Staff has had a practice over many years to inform candidates that the national LP almost never contributes cash directly to campaigns, with the only instance being $50,000 in 2011.  "Almost never" no longer applies with the LNC having given cash contributions to the John Moore, Mark Miller and Mark Wicks campaigns, paying filing fees in Montana in 2016, and perhaps a few other instances I'm not thinking of at the moment (there have been a few requests that the LNC has voted down over the past several years if I remember correctly). Going forward, I think it's misleading for me to tell candidates the national LP almost never contributes. Instead, I'll be informing candidates that staff is not authorized to give cash contributions from the national LP directly to candidates, the LNC makes those decisions. Though cash contributions from the national LP are still rare, to get a cash contribution from the national LP, contact the LNC to make your case--probably starting with your regional representative if you have one--otherwise with the chair, vice chair, and at-large members.

I'll do a phone conference session on candidate recruitment tomorrow night.

Two popular questions that often come up regarding candidates are:

1: "What kind of support can the national LP give to candidates?" I'll mention the above, along with other minor less direct support.

2:  "Why doesn't the national LP pick one candidate for a state level race for the entire nation to get behind, instead of running for lots of office?" Among other things, I plan to say we are not putting all of our eggs in one basket. Things don't work well that way. We are gong to recruit as many candidates as possible for the 2018 election, with 2,000 being our stretch goal. But, for those interested in focusing on a single campaign, Laura Ebke's re-election campaign would probably be a top choice. The LNC would probably need to vote to endorse an "actual" top choice, but the sense I get is that Senator Ebke would likely be that top choice.

For the intermediate to long-term, if requested, staff could probably come up with a more objective and strategic decision making process for cash contributions to candidates, or perhaps the LNC could form a committee for that. In the short run, I think what I outlined above is how things are actually working.

Wes Benedict, Executive Director
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
1444 Duke St., Alexandria, VA 22314
(202) 333-0008 ext. 232, wes.be...@lp.org
facebook.com/libertarians @LPNational
Join the Libertarian Party at: http://lp.org/membership

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 12:39:32 PM6/13/17
to Libertarian National Committee list
Brett, I have the same concerns that we do not have a process. But I also do not want to avoid supporting candidates until we do, particularly current office holders.

-Caryn Ann

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 6:13 AM, Brett Bittner <brett....@lp.org> wrote:
IIRC, the proponents of giving the Wicks campaign the money authorized by this committee indicated that we would have some parameters/guidelines/process for future giving as a result of the funds disbursed in short order for the social election. I have not seen such a plan or discussion for such a plan.

Until such a time as we define those, I am unwilling to cosponsor any motion regarding or support giving funds to any candidate.

Brett C. Bittner

Region 3 Representative
Libertarian National Committee

317.537.8344

**This message sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

On Jun 13, 2017 01:29, "David Demarest" <dprattd...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will co-sponsor​.

On Jun 12, 2017 11:39 PM, "Caryn Ann Harlos" <carynan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will co-sponsor.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:53 PM Aaron Starr <star...@gmail.com> wrote:

Perhaps someone should determine whether that level of contribution will result in the LNC having to file reports in Nebraska.

http://www.nadc.nebraska.gov/

Aaron Starr

(805) 404-8693 Mobile

star...@gmail.com

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 12:42:03 PM6/13/17
to Libertarian National Committee list
Wes, I think you are correct.

But I don't think I see the LNC ever voting for a "top choice" race- I think that would cause a lot of resentments in states and be demotivating to other affiliates and candidates.

-Caryn Ann

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 12:59:14 PM6/13/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Is it time to readdress our earlier discussion about creating a candidate recruitment and support committee?

Thoughts?

~David

2018 Omaha Roads to Liberty Un-Convention

~David Pratt Demarest

LNC Region 6 Representative (IA, IL, MN, MO, ND, NE, WI)

Secretary, LPNE State Central Committee

Cell:      402-981-6469

Home: 402-493-0873

Untitled attachment 01982.txt

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 1:02:01 PM6/13/17
to Libertarian National Committee list
I think Nick is recruiting for a Candidate Support rep - similar to the position that Andy Burns has for affiliate support.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 2:13:47 PM6/13/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Let's get something together perhaps for August meeting?

I likely will be coming with a request from my region soon.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:10 PM Brett Bittner <brett....@lp.org> wrote:
Speaking as someone who has actually run for re-election, there seems to be less urgency to give to Senator Ebke at this time. Her election is over a year away, and I'd hope her budget isn't greatly affected by the amount proposed being given at a time when we can establish some objective criteria for considering such requests.

I wholeheartedly support that we give funds to candidates where we find that we'll have a significant impact on the outcome of the race or get a "win" for the LP. I think supporting our elected Libertarians in this manner is a terrific use of donor funds, and I look forward to considering this one we have established criteria for such requests.

Brett C. Bittner

Region 3 Representative
Libertarian National Committee

317.537.8344

**This message sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 2:18:07 PM6/13/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

Hmmm – I see some advantages of a staff member over another committee provided our staff salary budget can adequately cover it. It might get more concrete results but at the expense of the benefits of collaboration.

Untitled attachment 02010.txt

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 2:20:35 PM6/13/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I just gave Nebraska State Senator Laura Ebke a call to check. She is in no hurry right now.  Her only reporting requirement this year is December 31st. That's when she "needs" the money.  Filing for the primary is March 2018 and the election is May 2018.

Incumbents with decent sized "war chests" can dissuade others from running.  On the converse, someone with a very anemic campaign bank account might encourage others to run.

According to her, organizations outside the state have no requirement to report to Nebraska, but the candidate does as do internal organizations. I expect the treasurer to check that of course.

We as the LNC are restricted by FEC rules from soliciting donations for non federal candidates.
What we as individuals do however is left to us.  Outside of this publicly viewable email we can personally encourage others to donate to non federal candidates.

This is something we have two meetings to use to decide before it matters.  Let's take up the "standards" issue in August.  And the issue of IF and how much either then or at the December meeting.

In the interest of disclosure I have already personally donated to Senator Ebke's campaign twice.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 10:29:16 PM6/13/17
to Lnc-business
Yes, I did check. Nebraska partially defines a "major out-of-state contributor" as an association which (sic) is not organized under the laws of Nebraska and makes contributions totaling more than $10,000 during any calendar year, and does not include a committee registered with the Federal Election Commission.  Any "major out-of-state contributor" is required to report its political contributions. The LNC is not required to report since we are registered with the FEC.

The prohibition on soliciting non-federal funds also applies to any agent or officer acting in behalf of a national party committee, so do not use your LNC title when encouraging others to donate to non-federal funds.

Tim Hagan

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Jun 13, 2017, 10:37:34 PM6/13/17
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
For this year, we budgeted $12,000 for Candidate, Campaign, & Initiatives with it covering four candidate training seminars with projected expenses of $3,000 each. Is the intent of the motion to reduce the amount of candidate training offered this year?

Tim Hagan