[Lnc-votes] [Lnc-business] Comment from Alaska Chair

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 29, 2016, 8:17:07 PM9/29/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
From Chair Shanigan:

Our race in Alaska is close.  The Libertarian senate candidate Joe Miller is polling at 32% and the republican Lisa Murkowski is polling at 36%.  We need to get the word out that this could be the first libertarian in the US Senate.  Please help.  National has been silent when Joe is the highest polling libertarian in America.

=======

--
In Liberty,
Caryn Ann Harlos

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 29, 2016, 8:28:51 PM9/29/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
What poll was that in? What is the state of Joe Miller's campaign? Has LP Alaska donated to his campaign? How much has he raised?
Does he have a website? If I get some more information I might be willing to  co sponsor a motion.  This is potentially exciting news.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 29, 2016, 8:30:55 PM9/29/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 29, 2016, 8:38:29 PM9/29/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
I took a quick glance.  I remember the Murkowski election now.  Dunno how I couldn't recall a name like Joe Miller off the top of my head. Must be an Aleppo moment.

I am less enthused from my reading. I can still be moved but not looking to enable a Republican retread just looking for ballot access that plans to caucus with the Republicans.  That doesn't discount him for me, I just need a LOT more info.  I know NOTHING about his policy stances.

Daniel Hayes
LNC At Large Member

Sent from my iPhone

lnc-...@hq.lp.org

Sep 30, 2016, 11:40:25 AM9/30/16
to lnc-bu...@hq.lp.org
Republican retread or not, a volunteer took a position which sets to make a statement, that the GOP and DEM parties are not the only viable options for voters, and that gentleman has given voters a choice and an opportunity to vote for a Libertarian.  Remember that Libertarianism was a major pillar of the GOP big tent for nearly 75 years...

That being said, every Libertarian candidate should be vetted prior to endorsement or funds allocation.  The limit of that vetting should be a review of policies to ensure non-violation of the NAP, a signed NAP statement of principles, and a dues paying party member of the state and/or national.  Outside of that, candidates should be free to find the winning combination for Libertarians in an election, and should fully be supported by the state and local parties, so long as they are members in good standing.

Steven M. Nielson
Region 1 Alternate to LP
Former Chairperson 2015-2016,
Libertarian Party of Washington State