postfix logs delay, delays, dsn

frank jacottin

Jan 22, 2008, 1:34:02 PM1/22/08
Hello,

A newbie question but I could not find anything meaninful about the
format of the postfix log files.
I'm in particular interested in the meaning of delay (it seems obvious),
delays and dsn. A pointer to any documentation will be appreciated.

ex: Jan 22 19:23:07 cronos postfix/smtp[25635]: A47BFA6C04B:
to=<m...@whatever.com>, relay=server.whatever.com[123.xx.xx.xx]:25,
delay=0.59, delays=0.05/0/0.41/0.13, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 +OK
message queued for delivery.)

Thanks,
Frank.

MrC

Jan 22, 2008, 2:11:21 PM1/22/08
frank jacottin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A newbie question but I could not find anything meaninful about the
> format of the postfix log files.
> I'm in particular interested in the meaning of delay (it seems obvious),
> delays and dsn. A pointer to any documentation will be appreciated.

From the 2.3.13 Release Notes:

[Feature 20051103] This release makes a beginning with a series of
new attributes in Postfix logfile records.

- Better insight into the nature of performance bottle necks, with
detailed logging of delays in various stages of message delivery.
Postfix logs additional delay information as "delays=a/b/c/d"
where a=time before queue manager, including message transmission;
b=time in queue manager; c=connection setup time including DNS,
HELO and TLS; d=message transmission time.

Also:

http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/942d0df284ae5109/0c443f854646d36f?lnk=gst&q=time+in+connection+setup+delays#0c443f854646d36f
http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/7c87618c4bf22f08/2beed1d4b43abcf8?lnk=gst&q=delays+viktor#2beed1d4b43abcf8
http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/269f21d4429c55ef/b68e99704344d19a?lnk=gst&q=time+in+connection+setup+delays#b68e99704344d19a