Unit testing programs: currently LIFT, FIVEAM is somewhere, what about CLUNIT (from tgutu)

A.J. Rossini

Feb 24, 2014, 3:01:51 AM2/24/14
to lisp-stat
Dear all (and especially Tamas) -

I'm re-evaluating unit testing programs, as I have been coding again and so there is a window of opportunity before my habits get calcified.

I'm feeling so-so about LIFT, while I like it's design, there are some documented inefficiencies which might be an issue, and the licensing appears to be changed to be friendly (though I might be confusing the licensing with the old CL-VARIATES licensing which plain barfed).

Tamas, I note that you've been using CLUNIT, and was impressed by how easy it was to follow your tests/package-API from it.    Comments?  it looks like TGUTU's version, I know that there is one more system with the same name, floating around.

Others -- comments?

best,
-tony

blind...@gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee:  Do stupid things faster with more energy!

Marco Antoniotti

Feb 24, 2014, 5:04:47 AM2/24/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
My 0.02EUR is that, if properly documented and with a better tutorial, STEFIL would be the way to go.  I am sure Attila would be very helpful in that case.

For simple stuff I stick to Franz util.test which does the job.

Cheers
--
MA

Tamas Papp

Feb 25, 2014, 1:27:59 AM2/25/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Indeed I like TGUTU's CLUNIT very much. It works very well for both
interactive and automated testing, and the syntax/semantics is very
friendly, with tons of nice features (composable fixtures, single
overall report, rerun failed tests, etc). Also, the author is very
responsive to bug reports and feature requests (see eg
https://github.com/tgutu/clunit/issues/5 )

I used LIFT before, and IMO CLUNIT clearly dominates it.

Best,

Tamas

David Hodge

Feb 25, 2014, 1:35:03 AM2/25/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have no strong preference. I think I would just want the test done and run!

LIFT is , I suppose, the basic bare minimum. I have used 5am and liked it, but will look at the incarnation of CL-UNIT that is mentioned.

25 February 2014 2:27 pm
Hi everyone,

Indeed I like TGUTU's CLUNIT very much. It works very well for both
interactive and automated testing, and the syntax/semantics is very
friendly, with tons of nice features (composable fixtures, single
overall report, rerun failed tests, etc). Also, the author is very
responsive to bug reports and feature requests (see eg
https://github.com/tgutu/clunit/issues/5 )

I used LIFT before, and IMO CLUNIT clearly dominates it.

Best,

Tamas

24 February 2014 4:01 pm