Common lisp stat and 2014

David Hodge

Feb 9, 2014, 4:14:45 AM2/9/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

And Happy New Year.

It turns out that my personal circumstances have changed quite considerably , so I will have some time to devote to c-l-s on a more regular and sustainable basis.

So, Tony - how should we start?

And Tamas, if you are reading this, I have nearly finished my LOESS implementation, I will post it in a few days once I am sure it is correct

Cheers

Tamas Papp

Feb 9, 2014, 5:00:02 AM2/9/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks. Currently I am working on a medium-size project that I decided
to program in R. The reason is that I wanted to submerge myself in R
once more (I did use it quite frequently in my pre-Lisp days) because it
is full of nice concepts that I want to adapt for CL (and, to be honest,
R is also full of bad decisions and concepts, too).

If there is interest, I could blog about the the features of R that I
want to adapt to a CL library.

Best,

Tamas

David Hodge

Feb 9, 2014, 6:40:56 AM2/9/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com, lisp...@googlegroups.com
I actually think that there is a lot of stuff from R that cls will benefit from.

So I would be interested in hearing your experiences when you are ready.

No rush, there is a lot of work to do before CLS is able to use such concepts.

Sent from my iPad

A.J. Rossini

Feb 9, 2014, 8:58:11 AM2/9/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
I would find such a blog interesting.  I will upload a few changes and write more this evening. Work has not really stopped :)

Sent from Gmail Mobile

A.J. Rossini

Feb 12, 2014, 3:52:28 AM2/12/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
Dear all -

I've confirmed that things work right now, under the following conditions:

0. I am working with Debian unstable, SBCL 1.1.14

1. Definition of "work" is:  clean compile of everything, and running stuff from the examples directory, 00-04.   10 is what I am working on now (examples of basic EDA)

2. You need the common-lisp-stat and lisp-matrix versions from my github repo at this point (the rest of the changes ought to be in the recent quicklisp distribution, but those two are newer)

3. There is a list of tasks that are needed to be done -- at this point, PLEASE work in the examples/ directory, and if something is lacking in the infrastructure in src/ , put a patch or the function there (in examples) and we'll migrate.

4. the use of row / column  type accessors should come from lisp-matrix (or similar from GSLL -- but I'm using lisp-matrix, for various reasons),  please use statistically-oriented nomenclature, or be prepared to migrate (cases, variables, observations) for common-lisp-state.  You can ignore this, but I promise to change...

5. David, lowess or loess would go into the examples/ directory for now...

6.  It would be great if someone could do a simple MLE example, that is next (and is the start of "real statistical inference") after I do some of the table / graphics stuff for EDA

7.  There has been some interesting work on reproducible random number streams recently for cl-randist .    My current gripe on the current set of pRNGs in Common Lisp is the inability to do this (but I am VERY enthusiastic about some of the functional approaches that others have done, but without perfect reproduction, this isn't statistically useful...)

More sooner...

best,
-tony

--
best,
-tony

blind...@gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee:  Do stupid things faster with more energy!

A.J. Rossini

Feb 12, 2014, 4:01:09 AM2/12/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com
And if you've got the github repo's below in your quicklisp/local-projects/  directory, you might need to do:

(ql:quickload :antik)
(ql:quickload :cls)

to get things loaded before trying out the examples... (and there could be reference/path issues in the examples, i.e. depending on which directory you start in)

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisp-stat.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

David Hodge

Feb 12, 2014, 4:25:34 AM2/12/14
to lisp...@googlegroups.com, lisp...@googlegroups.com
Ok cool

I will pull this down tonight and start looking

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lisp-stat+...@googlegroups.com.