Status...

A.J. Rossini

Jan 9, 2013, 9:15:41 AM1/9/13
to lisp-stat
Dear all -

I've been quiet, but working. Some points...

1. am very pleased at the diversity of possible data frame setups.
I'm intrigued by Tamas' approach for a column store, and I think that
I need to re-think my R-centric biases re: "observation" (row) data.
There are some really cool systems at work (well, in a completely
separate branch of my very large company) which leverage specialized
column store hybrid systems for incredibly awesome crunching speed.
2. I've been merging David's work (have about 10 more patches to
integrate) so hopefully by Monday I will have a repo that will allow
for he and I will be in sync, which will be useful.
3. I'd like to encourage experimentation and positive reviews of
experiments. Consolidation is VERY PREMATURE, especially since people
are getting work done with what they have, others can evaluate and
take "lessons learned" for moving forward.
4. NO ONE should be worried about crappy code. Fixes are for later,
we need a full "proof of concept" first.
5. I'm impressed by the selection/query stuff. Please remember that
variety is the spice of life, and specialization is something we
aren't ready for, just yet...

Like David, I'm reviewing the existing prototypes for API strategies.
Worry not about the code, just about getting the API right (sensible,
and implementable).

best,
-tony

blind...@gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee: Do stupid things faster with more energy!