.plan site for LFE projects

Duncan McGreggor

Dec 26, 2015, 9:14:08 PM12/26/15
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Hey all,

Before it got blasted out on the Planum Twittereum, I wanted to mention it here on the list. In short, we've got a new community-driven site for various hacking projects:
 * http://plan.lfe.io/

This serves a few purposes:

* So that individuals have single place to not loose track of the projects they're working on (with the understanding being that open source work can often span large gaps of non-working time where it's easy to forget what we were doing before the gaps...)

* So others in the community know the fun things each of us is working on

* For community members who want to contribute to an LFE project when they have a spare moment -- the .plan site providing a quick glance at the available projects that are getting the most attention

* For new LFE hackers who want to volunteer their services to a project, and otherwise wouldn't  know where to begin (this would also be a great resource for hackdays and even internships, if your company is using any of the mentioned projects/libraries).

If you'd like to get your projects/TODOs/etc. up on the LFE .plan site, you can either ping me directly by email, or submit a PR to this project:
  * https://github.com/lfex/plan

Don't be shy, either -- entries can be anything from LFE feature requests to new languages inspired by LFE, from a list of things you want to learn to a list of your LFE libraries currently under development.

Happy New year, everyone!

Eric Bailey

Dec 26, 2015, 10:37:27 PM12/26/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
I love (and needed) this! It popped up in my GitHub feed earlier, so I've already made a few PRs.

Thank you very much, Duncan. And happy new year to you and the rest of the community!

Eric

_____________________________

Duncan McGreggor

Dec 27, 2015, 3:07:16 PM12/27/15
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
I'm so glad, Eric!

I've just tweeted it to spread the word to those who might find it useful or missed this thread ...

Duncan McGreggor

Jędrzej Nowak

Dec 27, 2015, 9:43:19 PM12/27/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
If I may suggest something, one should try to improve basic / getting started docs. For now *none* of official getting-started works out of the box on Fedora 22. rebar from system package installs lfe0.9 and therefore a lot of things are broken. Then obviously lfe cannot continue, because it crashes. Etc.

Same applies for lfetool install lfe which links /usr/bin/lfe to /tmp/lfe/bin/lfe, which is also not good :)

--
Jędrzej Nowak

Duncan McGreggor

Dec 28, 2015, 1:09:19 PM12/28/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Oh dear, that's distressing. We've had reports of this in the past, which is one of the driving reasons behind the CentOS and Fedors Docker images:
 * https://hub.docker.com/r/lfex/centos/
 * https://hub.docker.com/r/lfex/fedora/

Have you tried them?

Those are defined in the Dockerfiles here:
 * https://github.com/lfex/dockerfiles/blob/master/centos/Dockerfile
 * https://github.com/lfex/dockerfiles/blob/master/fedora/Dockerfile

The only systems with which I have tried running through the getting-started guides are Ubuntu, Debian, Mac OS X, Windows, and (a while ago) Free/DragonflyBSD.

Sounds like, while some systems have a painless LFE install experience, others could benefit from an actual "install guide" (Windows for sure, and it sounds like Red Hat-derrived systems too; some *BSDs are less than easy ...).

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up! I'll update my .plan file to include wider system support in the getting-started guides.

In the meantime, I hope that some of the links above may help you out (and others who come across this message via Google searches ...)

Jędrzej Nowak

Dec 28, 2015, 1:55:08 PM12/28/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

In those images rebar is *not* installed from repository but it's "just" downloaded as binary file. Fedora that I tested was vanilla fedora with vanilla repos (not even erlangsolutions repo added)

I will try to find some time and go through "guides" and find more problems (no promises though, permanent lack of time)

--
Jędrzej Nowak

arp...@cryptolab.net

Dec 28, 2015, 2:49:45 PM12/28/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com, Jędrzej Nowak
On 2015-12-27 16:26, Jędrzej Nowak wrote:
> If I may suggest something, one should try to improve basic / getting
> started docs. For now *none* of official getting-started works out of
> the box on Fedora 22. rebar from system package installs lfe0.9 and
> therefore a lot of things are broken. Then obviously lfe cannot
> continue, because it crashes. Etc.
>
> Same applies for lfetool install lfe which links /usr/bin/lfe to
> /tmp/lfe/bin/lfe, which is also not good :)

I agree there are improvements to be made to the build system/Makefile
in order to provide a better out-of-the-box experience. I've been
hitting similar issues in the past, both in FreeBSD and Fedora
GNU/Linux.

I'll try to find some time this weekend to play with it and try to use
rebar3 for compilation and installation. I will also try to solve the
bootstrapping issue that the current build system has.

@everyone we would need to discuss this before v1.0 is out :)

lfetool is another story, but I also agree we should start the roadmap
for updating all the documentation and point to up-to-date tooling
instead. What I mean is that lfetool is heading to a new rebar3 plugin
system.

Duncan McGreggor

Dec 28, 2015, 6:08:21 PM12/28/15
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang, Jędrzej Nowak
Awesome -- thanks!

(also, that sort of update is perfect for a .plan, *wink* *wink* ...)