When will Erlang Solutions officially support LFE?

Mário Guimarães

Jul 27, 2016, 8:04:35 AM7/27/16
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've just been at Erlang Solution's home page, in which we can read

Large scale systems Powered by Erlang & Elixir

I looked around their site but saw no reference to LFE ...

Is there any plans for Erlang Solution's to sponsor LFE in the near future, specially after the existence of LFE 1.0 ?

What is still missing for Erlang Solutions to sponsor LFE ?

Thanks

Mário

Duncan McGreggor

Aug 1, 2016, 1:35:58 PM8/1/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Since there's been no response to this, I thought I'd chime in and give a general response ... nothing big, just some perspective. If nothing else, it fills in some of the silence :-)

Background:
 * I do not work for ESL
 * I have no insight to their business strategy
 * I have run 2.5 (very small) software services companies in the past

There are a couple of things a company has to keep in mind when supporting a new language (I naturally start with engineering and work my way towards business!):
 * Is it a completely new language? A dialect? Similar in any way to a supported language?
 * Is there in-house expertise: For the language itself? For real-world deployments?
 * Is there a customer who wants to make a switch? Could we win a contract if the language is supported?
 * Can we get a recurring/subscription contract for a project written in the language?

In some cases, that last bullet will trump all others, since what's usually entailed in that is money for long-term support (which translates to packaging, download accessibility, on-going low-level support, and some marketing) and due to the nature of some of those contracts, you have better revenue projections.

So, If this were my company and the language inventor was on my staff, I'd either need 1) enough short-term contracts to cover the setup overhead, or 2) a significant long-term contract that would do the same (on a different time scale, of course).

ESL almost certainly has more factors than that when evaluating whether it should/could support a new language, but this probably gets us into the ballpark when considering your question. Given that they are already calling out LFE expertise in their job descriptions (did you see that Twitter conversation?), I'd say it was probably just a matter of time :-)

Or at least, so we can hope!

Robert Virding

Aug 1, 2016, 8:11:58 PM8/1/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
You have to ping me sometimes to get an answer. :-)

Erlang Solutions do training, consulting and support for all languages in the Erlang ecosystem, that includes Erlang, Elixir and LFE.

We are pushing the concept of the erlang ecosystem, contact us for more information.

Robert

Mário Guimarães

Aug 20, 2016, 8:17:23 AM8/20/16
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

just comming back from my (turned internet off) vacations :-)

Duncan, you gave a thourough analysis that makes perfect sense, lets hope LFE gets more momentum in the near future.

Robert: it would help LFE to get more momentum if it was publicly recognized in Erlang Solution's web site, like Elixir is. Someone looking into this site would think today that the safest choice would be to go with Erlang or Elixir, nothing more. As such, Erlang Solution's effort in "pushing the concept of the erlang ecosystem" should be made more public, and the sooner the better, to push the idea of "Polyglot Erlang" among the community too.

(I did not found the image you sent in their web site; searching for LFE only returned two results, see below).

Regards,
Mário

Imagem intercalada 1

Robert Virding

Aug 24, 2016, 8:11:25 PM8/24/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Yes, I know and I quite agree. We, ESL in Stockholm, are pushing both LFE and the ecosystem concept as hard as we can. We are going for a more unified vision of the erlang/elixir/LFE world.

But even if it not visible we do training, consulting and support in it if you ask us.

Robert