Is lfe/reference-guide buildable?

H Durer

Sep 1, 2015, 10:37:16 AM9/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
I tried this but hit a few roadblocks.

a) I had to npm install gitbook-cli and not gitbook.
b) The gitbook code installed that way supports templates and all code blocks with "{{ ... }}" are interpreted as template invocations (or whatever template related -- I didn't dive into that, it just creates a parsing error in the contents of the curly brackets).  So I had to wrap all (I did all, some don't have these double curly brackets) pages in "{% raw %}" and "{% endraw %}" to disable the template processing.

Are these known issues?

Duncan McGreggor

Sep 1, 2015, 1:46:51 PM9/1/15
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
It *should* be buildable ... to be honest, I haven't built any of the latter gitbooks locally on my machine since the early days of the SICP book. I've done everything on the gitbooks server.

If this is something you want to do, I'd look into any recent (v2.0) gitbook tutorials (for both local builds as well as self-hosting).

Sorry I don't have more info for you :-/

H Durer

Sep 1, 2015, 4:30:07 PM9/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Well, I do have it working now with said changes.
I was wondering if the existing way actually was working for anybody else and I just got something wrong on my install.

Seems to be of very little use if nobody can make changes -- or would you expect people to sign up with gitbooks and work there?

Duncan McGreggor

Sep 1, 2015, 11:13:22 PM9/1/15
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM, H Durer <h.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, I do have it working now with said changes.

Got it.

I was wondering if the existing way actually was working for anybody else and I just got something wrong on my install.

One possibility is that the local copy might be using a different markdown parser than the one on the gitbooks server ...

Seems to be of very little use if nobody can make changes

Agreed; that would be of little use.

-- or would you expect people to sign up with gitbooks and work there?

Hadn't really thought about it. I've used the gitbooks UI and the github repo about evenly (pushes to the github repo fire off a webhook job on gitbooks' build infrastructure).

Worst case scenario -- I accept a PR which breaks the build and I have to figure out why.

Best case scenario, folks can build before submitting a PR to check that their changes didn't break anything.

If you have improvements for the instructions, I'd definitely appreciate a patch for the README/Makefile.

Thanks,

H Durer

Sep 2, 2015, 1:40:05 PM9/2/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
OK, I have verified my setup in a clean docker image.  I'll send a pull request.

BTW: I now see that the repo has no licensing notice, so already with my git clone I violated someone's copyright.
I assume that was ok.  Let me know if not and I'll delete my copy.

Duncan McGreggor

Sep 4, 2015, 9:30:19 AM9/4/15
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM, H Durer <h.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, I have verified my setup in a clean docker image.  I'll send a pull request.

Awesome -- thanks! (been traveling, thus the delay)

BTW: I now see that the repo has no licensing notice, so already with my git clone I violated someone's copyright.
I assume that was ok.  Let me know if not and I'll delete my copy.

I will add a license! (Apache 2.0).

Thanks for the heads-up,