Casting SPELs in LFE

Duncan McGreggor

Feb 12, 2015, 5:57:10 PM2/12/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I've mentioned this earlier, but I think it's now at a stage where I can start managing feedback/corrections/suggestions from the community, so I'm making it a bit more official now :-)

The classic Common Lisp comic (GPL doc) Casting SPELs in Lisp:
 * http://lisperati.com/casting.html

The LFE port is barely recognizable ... except for the drawings and some of the content:
 * http://lfe.gitbooks.io/casting-spels/

It's not quite finished yet -- the command server section still needs to be polished up, and a few bits after that, but most of the rest of it is ready for folks to run through and cut themselves on rough edges -- I'll supply band-aides and kudos for the adventurous and daring :-)

I'll send along an update when I've completed the last few sections...

Feedback is welcome either here or in a ticket:
 * https://github.com/lfe/casting-spels/issues/new

Thanks!

Nelson Milian

Feb 13, 2015, 11:54:46 PM2/13/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Duncan. Thank so much for making this. I am going through it right now.

I consider myself an advanced-beginner in programming and I just got into the Erlang community, so I can give you this perspective.

Some notes:
1. Some misspellings, but nothing major. Section 5.3 first sentence "so it probably timem to talk about" could be clearer as "so it is time to talk about"
    There was another one, but I forgot to jot it down.
2. After chapter 6 I started getting lost because of of the "magic" record functions. I'm going to go look them up now and see how they work.
    Maybe you can add relevant links to the section as a footnote. http://lfe.gitbooks.io/reference-guide/content/16.html

That's all for now. I hope this helps, and thanks again for creating this. I'm looking forward to your LFE SICP and was excited when I found it one day randomly.

Nelson

Duncan McGreggor

Feb 14, 2015, 1:11:36 AM2/14/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Okay,

I've just run through the code in the book several times, and it seems to check out okay.
 * The complete code is available in the book repo in the ./code directory
 * The code in the book has been updated to match the latest in ./code/game.lfe

I did a bunch of updates, fixes, etc., today squashing all the bugs I found. A bit more text needs to be added in places, per the tickets filed here:

but even with that text missing, the overall experience should be pretty complete for the user.

Let me know if you run into any issues,

Nelson Milian

Feb 14, 2015, 7:55:10 AM2/14/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Code worked great, I didn't have any issues with the actual code. I had an issue understanding the syntax and mechanics of records with pattern matching in LFE. The user and reference guide helped me get through my misunderstanding. I'm going to give it another look today.

Thanks again,

Nelson

Duncan McGreggor

Feb 14, 2015, 4:47:35 PM2/14/15
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM, Nelson Milian <nel...@digital-thought.com> wrote:
Hey Duncan. Thank so much for making this. I am going through it right now.

Awesome! You're welcome :-)

I consider myself an advanced-beginner in programming and I just got into the Erlang community, so I can give you this perspective.

Some notes:
1. Some misspellings, but nothing major. Section 5.3 first sentence "so it probably timem to talk about" could be clearer as "so it is time to talk about"

Indeed -- fixed.

    There was another one, but I forgot to jot it down.
2. After chapter 6 I started getting lost because of of the "magic" record functions. I'm going to go look them up now and see how they work.
    Maybe you can add relevant links to the section as a footnote. http://lfe.gitbooks.io/reference-guide/content/16.html

Added!

That's all for now. I hope this helps, and thanks again for creating this. I'm looking forward to your LFE SICP and was excited when I found it one day randomly.

Very helpful! This is the sort of thing that brings polish to an otherwise almost-there effort ;-)

Thanks!

Nelson