unums as new numerical computation unit vs. floats

Robert Herman

May 17, 2016, 2:32:37 PM5/17/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
Has anyone looked into, or familiar with unums?

Supposedly a new number format for computation to replace floats and their problems.

Robert Virding

May 17, 2016, 5:27:56 PM5/17/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
No I haven't seen them before. Question is if they will take off and make it into the processor. Maybe we could actually match against "floats" in a useful manner.

Robert

Robert Herman

May 18, 2016, 11:36:04 AM5/18/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
They are in the exploratory phase with people all over writing implementations with small bits as proof of concept. I have no doubt that if they find no big hurdles, they will be implemented. I believe I already found mention that somebody has implemented a software unum processor in an FPGA.

I think his point of even if the software implementation of unums, akin to software FPU libs, is the same or even a bit slower, it at least puts you in a bounded region of your answer, unlike floats that can be way off when rounding errors and other ills occur.

Rob

H Durer

May 18, 2016, 3:41:55 PM5/18/16
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like they'll also want to use interval arithmetic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unum_(number_format)

TR NS

Oct 7, 2016, 7:30:42 AM10/7/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
I read a good bit about it. It seems to have some merit but I think it is a bit more complex than it really needs to be, especially the 2.0 version.

Robert Virding

Oct 7, 2016, 9:00:54 AM10/7/16
to Lisp Flavoured Erlang
They seem very interesting but as LFE runs on top of the BEAM, the Erlang VM, it is not something we can really do anything about. It is out of our direct control.

Robert