Tutorial for LFE

Duncan McGreggor

Mar 1, 2015, 11:35:16 AM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

As was recently pointed out on Twitter, we don't really have an LFE tutorial. Robert's come up with a good plan for addressing this, and that involves finding a good tutorial for Erlang we can convert to LFE.

We've got a ticket created for this here:

There's a comment pointing to the "Getting Started" Erlang tutorial here:

If you have a favorite Erlang tutorial, could you share it? (Also, if you have another language tutorial that you really like, that'd be useful too ...)

Thanks!

Mário Guimarães

Mar 1, 2015, 3:00:53 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duncan

my experience with existing LFE documentation is that it is dispersed and incomplete, and having one more document right now does not seem to me of great help.

Perhaps, it would be better to have just one complete LFE manual (that would include comparisons to the Erlang syntax) and a quick reference card. For a tutorial, the "Casting spells ..." is enough perhaps.

For example, Racket's documentation is a very good example to take from.

Then, what I would like to see are examples of web applications, relational database access, domain-specific languages, laziness, and other examples showing the expressiveness of LFE in contrast to that of CL, Clojure, Erlang and even Haskell, solving problems where these languages are showcased by their communities.

Regards,
Mário

Aleksandar Radulovic

Mar 1, 2015, 3:10:06 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Mário Guimarães <mario.luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps, it would be better to have just one complete LFE manual (that would include comparisons to the Erlang syntax) and a quick reference card. For a tutorial, the "Casting spells ..." is enough perhaps.

I like the idea of a one (page) LFE manual with comparisons to the Erlang syntax. Something along the lines of this:

Has to be, IMHO, succint in explaining all the important bits.

Also, we should add LFE to http://learnxinyminutes.com/ as well.

Cheers,
alex
--
a lex 13 x
http://a13x.net | @a13xnet

Duncan McGreggor

Mar 1, 2015, 3:16:07 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Oh, nice -- these are *great ideas* guys!

Thanks!

Mário Guimarães

Mar 1, 2015, 3:32:20 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Yup, such a page (like for Clojurescript) would be great and act as a quick reference card!
It should also include explanations for the remaining of LFE that are not part of Erlang also (e.g., macros).

This should be a self-contained big page, that would not require the reader to jump anywhere. It could start telling how to install Erlang+LFE, start a shell, explain the shell commands, explain what should be an LFE's project structure, how to build a project, then it would have a table comparing LFE constructs to those of Erlang (like done for the given link for Clojurescript and JavaScript), then it would give links for interesting LFE project examples, all this as much succinctly and visually as possible, and complete; that is, it should enough for fast learners to jump to LFE quickly!

Then, and only then, the tutorials ...

Cheers
Mário

Duncan McGreggor

Mar 1, 2015, 4:01:57 PM3/1/15
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Aleksandar Radulovic <al...@a13x.net> wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Mário Guimarães <mario.luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps, it would be better to have just one complete LFE manual (that would include comparisons to the Erlang syntax) and a quick reference card. For a tutorial, the "Casting spells ..." is enough perhaps.

I like the idea of a one (page) LFE manual with comparisons to the Erlang syntax. Something along the lines of this:

I had planned on copying the Lisp hyperpolyglot page:

and replacing one of the four columns with LFE ... but I like the look and feel of the cloujurescript page you've shared. A lot.

I'm opening tickets for the suggestions you guys are making -- thanks again!

Mário Guimarães

Mar 1, 2015, 4:04:39 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Give I priority to those tickets Above any other documents  ;-)

Looking forward for such page.
MG

Duncan McGreggor

Mar 1, 2015, 4:24:15 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I think you're right :-)

Mário Guimarães

Mar 1, 2015, 4:32:56 PM3/1/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
You know, my head is bouncing between diving into CL or LFE for serious work, and having good documentation quickly is a must for me.

What attracts me in using LFE instead of CL, is the Erlang ecosystem being consistent, maintained, and proven in serious and highly demanding environments, not to mention that the philosophy of actors attracts me much.

I don't see the CL ecosystem winning Erlang on these ... well, until someone convinces me on the contrary.

:-)

Robert Virding

Mar 9, 2015, 6:22:08 AM3/9/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
We are working now at "translating" the Erlang "Getting started" in to an LFE tutorial. It is designed for newcomers and will give an overview of LFE as well as the fundamentals behind the erlang concurrency model, error handling and how they are used to build systems. OTP is not a part of it, but I think (hope) that the standard Erlang documentation will be understandable after the tutorial.

I don't know if we need an extra tutorial "LFE for lispers" or if the basic tutorial will suffice for that as well. We do intend to describe things like macros.

You can check it out at https://www.gitbook.com/@lf, but please remember it is work in progress and definitely NOT complete yet.

Robert

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Mário Guimarães <mario.luis.guimaraes@gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps, it would be better to have just one complete LFE manual (that would include comparisons to the Erlang syntax) and a quick reference card. For a tutorial, the "Casting spells ..." is enough perhaps.

I like the idea of a one (page) LFE manual with comparisons to the Erlang syntax. Something along the lines of this:

I had planned on copying the Lisp hyperpolyglot page:

and replacing one of the four columns with LFE ... but I like the look and feel of the cloujurescript page you've shared. A lot.

I'm opening tickets for the suggestions you guys are making -- thanks again!

Duncan McGreggor

Mar 9, 2015, 10:39:06 AM3/9/15
to lisp-flavo...@googlegroups.com
That link is broken; here's another one:

As you go through, note that tutorial pages aren't being worked on consecutively -- so if you get a 404, keep going, there's more there :-)

In particular, Robert's been working on the concurrent section a bunch (in fact, he's done *most* of the work for this tutorial!)

P.S. I'm going to step through the tutorial and add blank pages right now for anything that hasn't been done yet, so that you can click through without getting 404s ...