Fedora 9 - REVIEW

May 20, 2008, 4:52:01 PM5/20/08
to Linux4All
Well,
1: the nfs drives don't show up on MyComputer as before, when put in
the fstab file,
it was kind of nice to be able to just double-click to mount them...
2: the Login manager is gone...
3: Network Manager is still not working properly
4: Flash transparency in FireFox is not working

Conclusion:
nothing that make the OS more appealing to new users is working right
yet !

PS: if they don't start listening to the users, Linux will never
win...

TC, and good luck,

stevejberry

May 22, 2008, 6:31:51 AM5/22/08
to Linu...@googlegroups.com
Fedora 9 isnt on my box yet, but I do run Fedora 8 and I'm extremely
happy with the build and release.

The main problem I have with 9 is xorg's versions, and incompatibility
with nvidia kernel modules. so in the mean time, there's two solutions

run F9 with F8's xorg, or just run F8.

so I'm continuously going to run Fedora 8 until they release a new xorg
that nvidia will release a kernel module for that I can use with GLX and
twinview extensions.

in addition, I would also like to say the community has a say, and does
dictate what happens within the distribution, just as any linux distro.
The Main problem with the Fedora 9 release isnt the os
it's the changes in infrastructure, these changes are to make way for
the future of Fedora to thrive, not so much to make the 9 release a
PERFECT release. it has the clear vision to maintain it's superiority in
distributions by making the USERS able to communicate ideas better with
this infrastructure change.

in the short term, F9 will pretty much suck for new users, in the long
term, f9 will change and evolve with new internal package changes and
make things a little smoother with 3rd party ajustments.

Cutting edge sometimes takes a while to sharpen :)

give it time.