[Samba] Winbindd Takes 100% CPU.

Linux Addict

Mar 20, 2009, 11:00:20 AM3/20/09
Environment:
RHEL4 U6
Samba 3.2.8

After the installation, Winbind is taking 100% CPU. A restart seems to fix
most of the times, but cant figure out the reason winbind takes all CPU. Is
there any bugs worked already. If not, please someone help me resolve this.

Let me know what kind of logs you may need.

~LA

Linux Addict

Mar 20, 2009, 1:40:08 PM3/20/09
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Linux Addict <linuxa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Environment:
> RHEL4 U6
> Samba 3.2.8
>
> After the installation, Winbind is taking 100% CPU. A restart seems to fix
> most of the times, but cant figure out the reason winbind takes all CPU. Is
> there any bugs worked already. If not, please someone help me resolve this.
>
> Let me know what kind of logs you may need.
>

> ~LA

And also, When I stop winbindd(/etc/init.d/winbind stop), the command
complete successfully, but still the winbindd processes keep running. I had
to run stop them multiple times to in order stop the winbind. Once the
winbind stopped, the cpu usage returns to normal

Miguel Jinez

Mar 20, 2009, 1:50:07 PM3/20/09
2009/3/20 Linux Addict <linuxa...@gmail.com>

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Linux Addict <linuxa...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Environment:
> > RHEL4 U6
> > Samba 3.2.8
> >
> > After the installation, Winbind is taking 100% CPU. A restart seems to
> fix
> > most of the times, but cant figure out the reason winbind takes all CPU.
> Is
> > there any bugs worked already. If not, please someone help me resolve
> this.
> >
> > Let me know what kind of logs you may need.
> >

> > ~LA
> >

> And also, When I stop winbindd(/etc/init.d/winbind stop), the command
> complete successfully, but still the winbindd processes keep running. I had
> to run stop them multiple times to in order stop the winbind. Once the
> winbind stopped, the cpu usage returns to normal
>

> We have a problem like this, we found problems in nsswitch.conf (ERASE
winbind in passwd, group and shadow if you have that)

And the problem was detected too in smb.conf with the line:
ldapsam:trusted = Yes

Now we don't have this problem

Mike

Linux Addict

Mar 20, 2009, 2:50:13 PM3/20/09

Its somewhat inconsistent. I have log level 20 still dont see any errrors. I
recently added passdb backend = tdbsam and that seems to be causing issues
on few servers, but rest of the hosts seems to doing Ok.

I tried strace on winbindd, but dont see anything.

Is there way we can find out what winbindd spent so much time on CPU. Are
there any tools available?

~LA

Miguel Jinez

Mar 20, 2009, 3:20:04 PM3/20/09
2009/3/20 Linux Addict <linuxa...@gmail.com>

> The reason is a reported bug, in samba 3.2.7 is fixed

Linux Addict

Mar 20, 2009, 4:50:11 PM3/20/09

I am using 3.2.8 already.