[gentoo-user] Brother Scanner

Silvio Siefke

Oct 18, 2012, 9:10:02 PM10/18/12
Hello,

i have a Brother MFC 7320 Printer, Scanner and Fax. Printer is installed
perfectly, scanner want not work. I try as user and as root, but xsane
found not the scanner.

gentoo-desk ~ # sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x01eb) at libusb:002:008

gentoo-desk ~ # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-libsane.rules
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="01eb", MODE="0664",
GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

gentoo-desk ~ # cat /etc/group | grep scanner
scanner:x:102:siefke

Has someone a idea, where i can search the mistake?

Regards
Silvio

Joseph

Oct 18, 2012, 11:00:03 PM10/18/12
in /etc/sane.d/ you have a file with extension .conf
what is the content of it?

--
Joseph

Neil Bothwick

Oct 19, 2012, 5:20:02 AM10/19/12
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 02:58:49 +0200, Silvio Siefke wrote:

> i have a Brother MFC 7320 Printer, Scanner and Fax. Printer is installed
> perfectly, scanner want not work. I try as user and as root, but xsane
> found not the scanner.
>
> gentoo-desk ~ # sane-find-scanner -q
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x01eb) at libusb:002:008

Does scanimage -L find it? If not, try as root, this is usually due to
permissions on the device. You may need to change the MODE and GROUP
assignments in your udev rule to use := instead of = if your settings
are being overridden by another rule.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bad dog! Leave that wire alone.....click.....###@*##....NO TERRIER
signature.asc

Silvio Siefke

Oct 19, 2012, 3:00:01 PM10/19/12
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:16:41 +0100
Neil Bothwick <ne...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> Does scanimage -L find it? If not, try as root, this is usually due to
> permissions on the device. You may need to change the MODE and GROUP
> assignments in your udev rule to use := instead of = if your settings
> are being overridden by another rule.

siefke@gentoo-desk : ~ $ scanimage -L

as root:

gentoo-desk siefke # scanimage -L

Silvio Siefke

Oct 19, 2012, 3:00:02 PM10/19/12
Hello,

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:57:12 -0600
Joseph <sysc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> in /etc/sane.d/ you have a file with extension .conf
> what is the content of it?

gentoo-desk siefke # ls /etc/sane.d/
abaton.conf dll.conf ma1509.conf saned.conf
agfafocus.conf dll.d magicolor.conf sceptre.conf
apple.conf dmc.conf matsushita.conf sharp.conf
artec.conf epjitsu.conf microtek.conf sm3840.conf
artec_eplus48u.conf epson.conf microtek2.conf snapscan.conf
avision.conf epson2.conf mustek.conf sp15c.conf
bh.conf fujitsu.conf mustek_pp.conf st400.conf
canon.conf genesys.conf mustek_usb.conf stv680.conf
canon630u.conf gt68xx.conf nec.conf tamarack.conf
canon_dr.conf hp.conf net.conf teco1.conf
canon_pp.conf hp3900.conf p5.conf teco2.conf
cardscan.conf hp4200.conf pie.conf teco3.conf
coolscan.conf hp5400.conf pixma.conf test.conf
coolscan2.conf hpsj5s.conf plustek.conf u12.conf
coolscan3.conf hs2p.conf plustek_pp.conf umax.conf
dc210.conf ibm.conf qcam.conf umax1220u.conf
dc240.conf kodak.conf ricoh.conf umax_pp.conf
dc25.conf leo.conf rts8891.conf xerox_mfp.conf
dell1600n_net.conf lexmark.conf s9036.conf

Regards and Thank you for help

Silvio

Joseph

Oct 19, 2012, 9:30:01 PM10/19/12
You have a lot of configuration file in that directory, I have only one or two.
Anyhow, according to your first post the output of root:

sane-find-scanner -q is:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x01eb) at libusb:002:008

go to directory: /etc/sane.d/
and find out which file contains: 0x04f9 or 0x01eb

run:
find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x04f9'
or
find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x01eb'

post the content of that file.

--
Joseph

Joseph

Oct 19, 2012, 9:50:02 PM10/19/12
try to read this documentation:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/USB_Scanner

--
Joseph

Silvio Siefke

Oct 19, 2012, 9:50:02 PM10/19/12
Morning,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:23:03 -0600
Joseph <sysc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> run:
> find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x04f9'
> or
> find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x01eb'
>
> post the content of that file.

siefke@gentoo-desk : /etc/sane.d $ find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x04f9'
./genesys.conf:usb 0x04f9 0x2038

siefke@gentoo-desk : /etc/sane.d $ cat genesys.conf
# genesys.conf: Configuration file for Genesys Logic GL646 and GL841 based scanners

#
# scanners that are not yet supported
# uncomment them only for developpment purpose
#

# UMAX Astra 4500 and Avision iVina 1600
#usb 0x0638 0x0a10

# Hewlett Packard ScanJet 2400c
usb 0x03f0 0x0a01

# Hewlett Packard ScanJet 3670c/3690c
usb 0x03f0 0x1405

# Plustek OpticPro ST24
#usb 0x07b3 0x0601

# Syscan DocketPort 465
#usb 0x0a82 0x4802

#
# supported scanners
#

# Medion MD5345/MD6228/MD6471
usb 0x0461 0x0377

# Hewlett Packard ScanJet 2300c
usb 0x03f0 0x0901

# Canon LiDE 35/40/50
usb 0x04a9 0x2213

# Canon LiDE 60
usb 0x04a9 0x221c

# Canon LiDE 100
usb 0x04a9 0x1904

# Canon LiDE 110
usb 0x04a9 0x1909

# Canon LiDE 200
usb 0x04a9 0x1905

# Canon 5600F
usb 0x04a9 0x1906

# Canon LiDE 700F
usb 0x04a9 0x1907

# Canon LiDE 210
usb 0x04a9 0x190a

# Canon 5600f
usb 0x04a9 0x1906

# Visioneer Strobe XP200
usb 0x04a7 0x0426

# Visioneer Strobe XP300
usb 0x04a7 0x0474

# Ambir/Syscan DocketPort 665
usb 0x0a82 0x4803

# Visioneer Roadwarrior
usb 0x04a7 0x0494

# Visioneer XP100 rev 3
usb 0x04a7 0x049b

#Pentax DSmobile 600
usb 0x0a17 0x3210
usb 0x04f9 0x2038 < find alert

# Syscan DocketPort 467
usb 0x1dcc 0x4812

# Syscan DocketPort 485
usb 0x0a82 0x4800

# DCT DocketPort 487
usb 0x1dcc 0x4810

# Syscan/Ambir DocketPort 685
usb 0x0a82 0x480c

# Visioneer OneTouch 7100
usb 0x04a7 0x0229

# Xerox Travel Scanner 100
usb 0x04a7 0x04ac

# Panasonic KV-SS080
usb 0x04da 0x100f

# Hewlett Packard ScanJet G4010
usb 0x03f0 0x4505

# Hewlett Packard ScanJet G4050
usb 0x03f0 0x4605

# Plustek OpticBook 3600
usb 0x07b3 0x0900

siefke@gentoo-desk : /etc/sane.d $ find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x01eb'

Joseph

Oct 19, 2012, 10:20:01 PM10/19/12
On 10/20/12 03:42, Silvio Siefke wrote:
>Morning,
>
>On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:23:03 -0600
>Joseph <sysc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> run:
>> find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x04f9'
>> or
>> find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x01eb'
>>
>> post the content of that file.
>

>siefke@gentoo-desk : /etc/sane.d $ find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '0x04f9'
>./genesys.conf:usb 0x04f9 0x2038

try to append to this file: genesys.con
usb 0x04f9 0x01eb

and restart the system.

>usb 0x04f9 0x2038 < find alert

--
Joseph

Jörg Schaible

Oct 20, 2012, 4:40:01 AM10/20/12
Hi Silvio,
I have a Brother DCP-9010CN (also an USB PSC) connected to my server and can
typically print and scan over network (using cupsd and saned). So I guess
you should be able to do the same.

Typically you have to install a driver directly from Brother:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1.html

You can install this RPM on Gentoo with rmp2targz. I have to use for my PSC
the driver generation 3 and had to install it afterwards with
"/usr/local/Brother/sane/setupSaneScan3" for configuration and
"/usr/bin/brsaneconfig3 -i" adds the driver to the SANE configuration.
Something similar should exist for your driver.

Hope this helps,
Jörg

Silvio Siefke

Oct 20, 2012, 9:30:02 PM10/20/12
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 20:14:14 -0600
Joseph <sysc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> try to append to this file: genesys.con
> usb 0x04f9 0x01eb
>
> and restart the system.

i have make, but change nothing. scanimage found not the scanner and
xsane same. Maybe goes not under Linux.

Regards
Silvio

Dale

Oct 20, 2012, 9:40:01 PM10/20/12
If it is not seeing it still, could it be that something is missing in
the kernel and it is hardware/driver related?

Also, you did make sure it is plugged up correctly? Maybe try
connecting it to another port too?

My brother, family brother not hardware brother, recently had the
scanner part go dead in his combo. The printer would work but nothing
related to the scanner worked. Possible?

Does anyone know if there is something specific to the scanner that
needs to be in the kernel? I don't have a scanner yet.

Dale

:-) :-)