[gentoo-user] Libreoffice-bin 3.4 error on execute

Fernando Antunes

Jun 6, 2011, 7:30:02 AM6/6/11
Yesterday I emerged Libreoffice-bin 3.4 and the installation worked fine.

However, when I try to run it, I receive this error message :

Failed to execute child process "libreoffice3.4" (No such file or directory).

Any clue ?

Stefan G. Weichinger

Jun 6, 2011, 9:00:02 AM6/6/11

Same here. I think the ebuild got the commandline wrong.
If you start it from the shell, it is "libreoffice".

A symbolic link should help, otherwise I assume there will be a fix in
portage soon.

Stefan

Walter Dnes

Jun 6, 2011, 6:10:01 PM6/6/11
On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:21:21AM -0300, Fernando Antunes wrote

Applications generally do *NOT* use the version number in the
executable name, or even the fact that they're a "bin" version. You
just supply the base filename on the commandline. E.g., I have
"libreoffice-bin-3.3.2" installed. It is launched with the command
"libreoffice". I have "gimp-2.6.11" installed. It is launched with the
command "gimp".

A few programs allow multiple versions. They have the real executable
in a working directory, and a symlink in /etc/usr/bin which points to
the real executable. So you launch the main version with the regular
command. You can also launch other installed versions by supplying the
full pathname to its working directory.

--
Walter Dnes <walt...@waltdnes.org>

Alan McKinnon

Jun 6, 2011, 8:40:01 PM6/6/11
Apparently, though unproven, at 00:03 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, Walter Dnes did
opine thusly:

+1

Looks like this ebuild was rushed.

3.4.0 fails for any language other than "en" due to a typo in the ebuild:
#370179

AFAICS the desktop files are installed as-is from the rpms containing this:
Exec=libreoffice3.4 --writer %U
but there's a dosym call missing in the ebuild
#370345 references the issue but it hasn't been addressed yet

I have only two words:

shoddy work

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com