Virtualbox 64 bit guest option is missing

Artifex Maximus

Aug 22, 2012, 2:30:03 PM8/22/12
Hello!

Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
required for 64 bit guests.

The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

Bye,

Greg Madden

Aug 22, 2012, 8:00:02 PM8/22/12

On Wednesday 22 August 2012 10:21:50 am Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
> required for 64 bit guests.
>
> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>
> Bye,

I think you have the answser, afaik, you can not run 64bit guests without vt
support. So, will 32 bit guests be enough for your use?

VT-x/AMD-v cpus are the way to go. It was a substantial increase in performance
when I upgraded. I know AMD advertises multiple cores for virtualization.
--
Peace,

Greg

Artifex Maximus

Aug 23, 2012, 3:40:01 AM8/23/12
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Greg Madden <gomad...@gci.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 August 2012 10:21:50 am Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
>> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
>> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
>> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
>> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
>> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
>> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
>> required for 64 bit guests.
>>
>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
>> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>>
>> Bye,
>
> I think you have the answser, afaik, you can not run 64bit guests without vt
> support. So, will 32 bit guests be enough for your use?

Thank you. Looks like I have to buy a new CPU with VT. Unfortunately
32 bit is not enough for me as I would like to test 64 bit systems
within my Virtualbox.

> VT-x/AMD-v cpus are the way to go. It was a substantial increase in performance
> when I upgraded. I know AMD advertises multiple cores for virtualization.

I look for some E8xxx CPU. It has higher FSB and clock speed than mine
which is a plus.

Bye,

Darac Marjal

Aug 23, 2012, 6:50:02 AM8/23/12
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and
> guest x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a
> E5200 which does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit
> hosts (which typically come with hardware virtualization support),
> 64-bit guest operating systems are always supported regardless of
> settings, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the
> guest.". It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is
> required for 64 bit guests.
>
> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU? If I change the CPU am
> I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

When you specify the guest operating system type, do you have the option
for 64-bit OSes? When creating a new Virtual machine, if you select,
say, "Debian", you'll get a 32-bit virtual processor. What you need to
do is select "Debian (64-bit)", if available, and then your guest can
access the 64-bit capabilities.

signature.asc

Jon Dowland

Aug 23, 2012, 7:00:01 AM8/23/12
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64

Are you running both of

• a 64bit kernel (I guess yes, given above)
• the 64bit version of virtualbox (not the 32bit one on top of 64bit kernel)

Artifex Maximus

Aug 23, 2012, 8:20:01 AM8/23/12
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Jon Dowland <jm...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:21:50PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64
>
> Are you running both of
>
> • a 64bit kernel (I guess yes, given above)

Yes, latest.

> • the 64bit version of virtualbox (not the 32bit one on top of 64bit kernel)

I am using Virtualbox from Debian packages installed with aptitude
which I think 64 bit by default on 64 bit OS.

Bye,

Artifex Maximus

Aug 23, 2012, 8:20:01 AM8/23/12
There is no such 64-bit entry.

Bye,

Camaleón

Aug 24, 2012, 10:00:02 AM8/24/12
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> Virtualbox on my Wheezy x86_64 is not showing 64 bit for guest and guest
> x86_64 OS installer displays CPU mismatch error. My CPU is a E5200 which
> does not have VT support. Virtualbox page says "On 64-bit hosts (which
> typically come with hardware virtualization support), 64-bit guest
> operating systems are always supported regardless of settings, so you
> can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the guest.".

The three listed conditions have to be met :-(

> It is not clear for me that 64 bit host is enough or VT is required for
> 64 bit guests.

I regret to say that yes: for 64-bits guests VirtualBox requires VT-x, it
is more detailed here¹:

"(...) Even though VirtualBox does not always require hardware
virtualization, enabling it is required in the following scenarios:

(...)

- VirtualBox's 64-bit guest support (added with version 2.0) and
multiprocessing (SMP, added with version 3.0) both require hardware
virtualization to be enabled. (This is not much of a limitation since the
vast majority of today's 64-bit and multicore CPUs ship with hardware
virtualization anyway; the exceptions to this rule are e.g. older Intel
Celeron and AMD Opteron CPUs.)"

> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
> there any solution staying at the current CPU?

Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need a
VT-x enabled micro, yes.

> If I change the CPU am I need to reinstall Virtualbox?

I don't think so.

¹https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html#hwvirt

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Artifex Maximus

Aug 24, 2012, 3:00:01 PM8/24/12
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for your long and detailed answer. I cut it down a bit, sorry.

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>> there any solution staying at the current CPU?
>
> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need a
> VT-x enabled micro, yes.

OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d capable.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-%286M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB%29

>> If I change the CPU am I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>
> I don't think so.

Well. Still no 64 bit option and System/Acceleration tab is disabled
in my Virtualbox. Any idea why? Motherboard? BIOS?

My system is:
"Linux artifex 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 02:45:17 UTC 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux"

dmesg:
"[ 0.051573] CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping 0a
[ 0.140066] Brought up 2 CPUs
[ 0.140068] Total of 2 processors activated (11970.46 BogoMIPS)."

vboxdrv related lines (what and why legacy support warning?):
"[ 55.378467] vboxdrv: Found 2 processor cores.
[ 55.378878] vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x22e offMax=0xc57
[ 55.378926] vboxdrv: TSC mode is 'synchronous', kernel timer mode
is 'normal'.
[ 55.378928] vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 4.1.18_Debian
(interface 0x00190000).
[ 55.452749] vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
[ 160.448576] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy
support in use)"

Bye,

Sven Hartge

Aug 24, 2012, 8:40:01 PM8/24/12
Artifex Maximus <arti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:21:50 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

>>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>>> there any solution staying at the current CPU?
>>
>> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you
>> need a VT-x enabled micro, yes.

> OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
> capable.

Did you enable the support for those features inside the BIOS setup? If
not, they may be masked and unusable for Linux and VirtualBox.

If your BIOS does not support those options, you may need to upgrade to
a newer version. If no newer version is available from the vendor, you
may need a new mainboard, I'm afraid.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Camaleón

Aug 25, 2012, 7:50:02 AM8/25/12
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 20:52:06 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The question is I need to upgrade my CPU to any VT capable CPU or is
>>> there any solution staying at the current CPU?
>>
>> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need
>> a VT-x enabled micro, yes.
>
> OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
> capable.
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-%286M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB%29

This one looks better, your system will thank (more cache, fsb speed yet
still the same low TDP) :-)

>>> If I change the CPU am I need to reinstall Virtualbox?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
> Well. Still no 64 bit option and System/Acceleration tab is disabled in
> my Virtualbox. Any idea why? Motherboard? BIOS?

Sure, your BIOS has to provide an option to toggle "on" VT-x, if no, ask the
manufacturer for a BIOS update or how to enable this.

And as you seem to be running a 64-bits host OS there shouldn't be more
tweaks to do.

> My system is:
> "Linux artifex 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 02:45:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
>
> dmesg:
> "[ 0.051573] CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz stepping 0a
> [ 0.140066] Brought up 2 CPUs
> [ 0.140068] Total of 2 processors activated (11970.46 BogoMIPS)."
>
> vboxdrv related lines (what and why legacy support warning?): "
> [ 55.378467] vboxdrv: Found 2 processor cores.
> [ 55.378878] vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x22e offMax=0xc57
> [ 55.378926] vboxdrv: TSC mode is 'synchronous', kernel timer mode is 'normal'.
> [ 55.378928] vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 4.1.18_Debian (interface 0x00190000).
> [ 55.452749] vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
> [ 160.448576] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)"

I think the warning is harmless. I also get it from another native applications
(e.g., ntpd) and IIRC, the message came from a library (libpcap) but is pointless.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Chris Bannister

Aug 25, 2012, 9:30:01 AM8/25/12
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:44:18AM +0000, Camale�n wrote:

> >> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you need
> >> a VT-x enabled micro, yes.
> >
> > OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
> > capable.
> >
> > http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-%286M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB%29
>
> This one looks better, your system will thank (more cache, fsb speed yet
> still the same low TDP) :-)

You have been reported to the AAAA. (American Association for the Abuse
of Acronyms) :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Camaleón

Aug 25, 2012, 10:10:01 AM8/25/12
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 01:20:04 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:44:18AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
>> > capable.
>> >
>> > http://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-%286M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB%29
>>
>> This one looks better, your system will thank (more cache, fsb speed
>> yet still the same low TDP) :-)
>
> You have been reported to the AAAA. (American Association for the Abuse
> of Acronyms) :)

He, he... :-D

But I also have to thank the English language makes such (ab)use of them,
it really prevents me of doing more typos.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Artifex Maximus

Aug 26, 2012, 12:00:01 PM8/26/12
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Sven Hartge <sv...@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Artifex Maximus <arti...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, you can stil install a 32-bits guest OS but for 64-bits you
>>> need a VT-x enabled micro, yes.
>
>> OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
>> capable.
>
> Did you enable the support for those features inside the BIOS setup? If
> not, they may be masked and unusable for Linux and VirtualBox.

Even it is a quite old motherboard "Intel Virtualization Technology"
BIOS options is enabled. I cannot change that option though. My
motherboard just for info is a Fujitsu-Siemens G31T-M2 which is some
ECS OEM motherboard with G31 chipset.

> If your BIOS does not support those options, you may need to upgrade to
> a newer version. If no newer version is available from the vendor, you
> may need a new mainboard, I'm afraid.

I am using latest BIOS. Looks like I have VT option in BIOS which is
enabled but still no VT in Virtualbox under Debian and Windows XP 32
bit (I read that Virtualbox on VT capable CPU is able to emulate 64
bit guests on 32 bit host).

Bye,

Sven Hartge

Aug 26, 2012, 12:30:02 PM8/26/12
Artifex Maximus <arti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Sven Hartge <sv...@svenhartge.de> wrote:
>> Artifex Maximus <arti...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK, now a lovely little E8400 power my machine which is VT-x and VT-d
>>> capable.
>>
>> Did you enable the support for those features inside the BIOS setup? If
>> not, they may be masked and unusable for Linux and VirtualBox.

> Even it is a quite old motherboard "Intel Virtualization Technology"
> BIOS options is enabled. I cannot change that option though. My
> motherboard just for info is a Fujitsu-Siemens G31T-M2 which is some
> ECS OEM motherboard with G31 chipset.

Hmm. Could you post the output of

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

so that we can see which capabilities the kernel thinks are available on
you CPU,

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Camaleón

Aug 26, 2012, 12:40:02 PM8/26/12
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:26:19 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:

> Artifex Maximus <arti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Sven Hartge <sv...@svenhartge.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Did you enable the support for those features inside the BIOS setup?
>>> If not, they may be masked and unusable for Linux and VirtualBox.
>
>> Even it is a quite old motherboard "Intel Virtualization Technology"
>> BIOS options is enabled. I cannot change that option though. My
>> motherboard just for info is a Fujitsu-Siemens G31T-M2 which is some
>> ECS OEM motherboard with G31 chipset.
>
> Hmm. Could you post the output of
>
> grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
>
> so that we can see which capabilities the kernel thinks are available on
> you CPU,

That will be of little help because CPU will expose the VT-x capabilities
despite the BIOS have them turned off.

@Artifex, contact your motherboard manufacturer and ask specifically for
this. I see nothing at the manual or specs regarding VT-x for your board¹.

¹http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=812&CategoryID=1&MenuID=16&LanID=0

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Sven Hartge

Aug 26, 2012, 12:50:02 PM8/26/12
Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:26:19 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:

>> Hmm. Could you post the output of
>>
>> grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
>>
>> so that we can see which capabilities the kernel thinks are available on
>> you CPU,

> That will be of little help because CPU will expose the VT-x
> capabilities despite the BIOS have them turned off.

Oh?

I must admit, I never owned a board/CPU combination, where the CPU had
virtualization features but the board lacked support for them. So I
assumed the capabilities list would reflect this.

Never mind then.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Camaleón

Aug 26, 2012, 1:10:02 PM8/26/12
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:47:34 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:

> Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:26:19 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
>
>>> Hmm. Could you post the output of
>>>
>>> grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
>>>
>>> so that we can see which capabilities the kernel thinks are available
>>> on you CPU,
>
>> That will be of little help because CPU will expose the VT-x
>> capabilities despite the BIOS have them turned off.
>
> Oh?
>
> I must admit, I never owned a board/CPU combination, where the CPU had
> virtualization features but the board lacked support for them. So I
> assumed the capabilities list would reflect this.

I experienced such situation: a BIOS revision that did not expose any VT-
x options while the CPU supported them. A BIOS update solved it and a new
menu for VT-x was added to the updated BIOS.

But regardless this I think that "cpuinfo" is about CPU and not BIOS
capabilities; from here you can't really know what to expect.

> Never mind then.

Every motherboard manufacturer use different settings (even more for
OEMized motherboards that can be also highly customized by the computer
manufacturer), that's why is always better to directly ask them to be
sure :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Martin Steigerwald

Aug 28, 2012, 2:10:02 PM8/28/12
Am Sonntag, 26. August 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:47:34 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
> > Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That will be of little help because CPU will expose the VT-x
> >> capabilities despite the BIOS have them turned off.
> >
> > Oh?
> >
> > I must admit, I never owned a board/CPU combination, where the CPU
> > had virtualization features but the board lacked support for them.
> > So I assumed the capabilities list would reflect this.
>
> I experienced such situation: a BIOS revision that did not expose any
> VT- x options while the CPU supported them. A BIOS update solved it
> and a new menu for VT-x was added to the updated BIOS.
>
> But regardless this I think that "cpuinfo" is about CPU and not BIOS
> capabilities; from here you can't really know what to expect.

May dmidecode be able to step in there?

It shows the DMI / SMBIOS tables.

Ciao,

Camaleón

Aug 29, 2012, 9:50:02 AM8/29/12
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:01:41 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 26. August 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

>> > Oh?
>> >
>> > I must admit, I never owned a board/CPU combination, where the CPU
>> > had virtualization features but the board lacked support for them. So
>> > I assumed the capabilities list would reflect this.
>>
>> I experienced such situation: a BIOS revision that did not expose any
>> VT- x options while the CPU supported them. A BIOS update solved it and
>> a new menu for VT-x was added to the updated BIOS.
>>
>> But regardless this I think that "cpuinfo" is about CPU and not BIOS
>> capabilities; from here you can't really know what to expect.
>
> May dmidecode be able to step in there?
>
> It shows the DMI / SMBIOS tables.

I never have had a positive experience with dmidecode because it provides
untrustworthy output :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Martin Steigerwald

Aug 29, 2012, 10:20:02 AM8/29/12
In my experience it depends heavily on the BIOS. But for this ThinkPad
T520 the output appears to be pretty accurate for me. On the FTS Esprimo
workstation at work the output appears to be quite lacking of detail.

Whether everything is correct? Well…

But since it somehow seems to relate to the BIOS I thought it might help
here.

Camaleón

Aug 29, 2012, 11:20:02 AM8/29/12
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:17:25 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. August 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>> > May dmidecode be able to step in there?
>> >
>> > It shows the DMI / SMBIOS tables.
>>
>> I never have had a positive experience with dmidecode because it
>> provides untrustworthy output :-/
>
> In my experience it depends heavily on the BIOS.

Having an updated version of the utility it can also help but yet again,
the results are not always the expected.

(side note: in the Spanish mailing list we've been recently discussing
about this issue... a user was a bit perplexed for the results of "lshw" -
which uses dmidecode- that showed his micro only had enabled one of the
two cores while the rest of the tools said otherwise)

> But for this ThinkPad T520 the output appears to be pretty accurate for
> me. On the FTS Esprimo workstation at work the output appears to be
> quite lacking of detail.
>
> Whether everything is correct? Well…
>
> But since it somehow seems to relate to the BIOS I thought it might help
> here.

It can be also useless -even if dmidecode is right- because the current
BIOS revision could be not exposing the VT-x capabilities if they were
disabled on purpose by the manufacturer (but can be enabled by updating
the BIOS firmware).

I think this is one of those specific/complex situations where I prefer
to contact the motherboard manufacturer because only they can tell you
about the board options and capabilities.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Artifex Maximus

Sep 12, 2012, 4:20:01 PM9/12/12
Someone recommend the XenClient CD. I've tried that and says that VTx
is disabled even it is enabled in BIOS. :-(

> @Artifex, contact your motherboard manufacturer and ask specifically for
> this. I see nothing at the manual or specs regarding VT-x for your board¹.
>
> ¹http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=812&CategoryID=1&MenuID=16&LanID=0

Thanks. Mine is Fujitsu-Siemens (manufactured by ECS) G31T-M2 which is
slightly different from any other which I found on ECS site. So no
BIOS there. I already have the latest (dated 2008) FuSi BIOS for my
board. I'll contact with FuSi hope they will help me.

Bye,