KDE 5 in Debian

Himanshu Shekhar

Feb 25, 2016, 4:50:04 PM2/25/16

Has anyone tried installing KDE plasma desktop (KDE 5) on Debian Stable.
Yeah, it's not in stable, but is there any way to install it without losing the benefits of Debian stable.

Also, I have Gnome already installed alongside Xfce. Would that trouble?

Adam Wilson

Feb 26, 2016, 1:10:09 AM2/26/16
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 03:14:03 +0530 Himanshu Shekhar
<irm20...@iiita.ac.in> wrote:

> Has anyone tried installing KDE plasma desktop (KDE 5) on Debian
> Stable. Yeah, it's not in stable, but is there any way to install it
> without losing the benefits of Debian stable.

The whole point of Debian stable is that it is supposed to be just
that- stable. Installing packages from testing/unstable will just net
you a FrankenDebian and defeat the whole point of having stable in the
first place with packages that haven't been properly tested/debugged.

Even if you were to install KDE 5, it would require so many updated
dependencies that you'd essentially have created a testing system
anyway.

If you want newer packages, just upgrade to testing. You cannot make
massive system overhauls like this on a stable system without
effectively forfeiting the benefits of a stable system in the first
place.

If you are prepared to put up with some troubleshooting for newer
packages and you know what you're doing, upgrade to testing/unstable.
If not, stick with stable. It Just Works.

> Also, I have Gnome already installed alongside Xfce. Would that
> trouble?

It shouldn't. Which DM do you plan to use after you have carried out
your plan of action? KDM? GDM?