mplayer won't play audio CD

Rodolfo Medina

Jun 29, 2017, 5:00:07 PM6/29/17
Please help... mplayer works fine when playing files (mp3, wav, etc), but
fails in playing audio CDs. When I launch it as a normal user I have:

$ mplayer cdda://
MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing cdda://.
Found audio CD with 12 tracks.
libavformat version 57.56.101 (external)

Track 1

Exiting... (End of file)

and, as root,

# mplayer cdda://
MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing cdda://.
Found audio CD with 12 tracks.
rawaudio file format detected.

Track 1
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1602:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1052:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
[AO SDL] using aalib audio driver.
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
Failed to initialize audio driver 'sdl:aalib'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

In Google I couldn't find a solution...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rodolfo

deloptes

Jun 30, 2017, 2:00:07 AM6/30/17
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Please help...  mplayer works fine when playing files (mp3, wav, etc), but
> fails in playing audio CDs.  When I launch it as a normal user I have:

check if you are member of the cdrom group

regards

Rodolfo Medina

Jun 30, 2017, 3:30:07 AM6/30/17
Yes, I am...

Rodolfo

Curt

Jun 30, 2017, 5:30:07 AM6/30/17
On 2017-06-29, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please help... mplayer works fine when playing files (mp3, wav, etc), but
> fails in playing audio CDs. When I launch it as a normal user I have:
>
> $ mplayer cdda://
> MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
> do_connect: could not connect to socket
> connect: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

How about giving it the full path:

mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom cdda://1
mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1

or wherever the device exists on your machine.

Also perhaps verify in a mixer program (alsamixer, e.g.) that cdrom audio output
isn't muted.

Maybe there's no audio cable between the cd drive and the sound card.

;-)

--
“Yeah yeah.” --Sidney Morgenbesser's retort to a speaker who said that although
there are many cases in which two negatives make a positive, he knew of no case

Brian

Jun 30, 2017, 6:30:06 AM6/30/17
It is worth noting that local access to the /dev/sr* device does
not depend on being a member of the cdrom group, Using 'ls -l':

brw-rw----+ root cdrom 11, 0 June 30 11:15 /dev/sr0

The "+" is a result of 70-uaccess.rules in /lib/udev/rules.d. It
indicates an Access Control List (ACL).

The installer has always put the first user into the cdrom group. It
is questionable whether this is necessary any more.

--
Brian.

Thomas Schmitt

Jun 30, 2017, 6:40:04 AM6/30/17

Curt wrote:
> mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1
> or wherever the device exists on your machine.

Unless on very old systems, i'd expect /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, ...

> Maybe there's no audio cable between the cd drive and the sound card.

I doubt that mplayer would use the PLAY AUDIO command to let the drive
send an analog signal to the sound card. I rather assume it uses READ CD
to get the 16 bit digital audio data and then processes them like other
input.
So no audio cable from drive to sound card would be needed.

Brian wrote:
> It is worth noting that local access to the /dev/sr* device does
> not depend on being a member of the cdrom group, Using 'ls -l':
> brw-rw----+ root cdrom 11, 0 June 30 11:15 /dev/sr0
> The "+" is a result of 70-uaccess.rules in /lib/udev/rules.d. It
> indicates an Access Control List (ACL).

... which can be inquired by

$ getfacl /dev/sr0
user:thomas:rw-

So my desktop user got an extra permission to read and write, regardless
of group membership or "others" permission.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Curt

Jun 30, 2017, 7:30:05 AM6/30/17
On 2017-06-30, Thomas Schmitt <scdb...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Curt wrote:
>> mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1
>> or wherever the device exists on your machine.
>
> Unless on very old systems, i'd expect /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, ...

Or wherever the device exists on your machine.

>> Maybe there's no audio cable between the cd drive and the sound card.
>
> I doubt that mplayer would use the PLAY AUDIO command to let the drive
> send an analog signal to the sound card. I rather assume it uses READ CD
> to get the 16 bit digital audio data and then processes them like other
> input.
> So no audio cable from drive to sound card would be needed.

Oh, ok, ripping good.

> Brian wrote:
>> It is worth noting that local access to the /dev/sr* device does
>> not depend on being a member of the cdrom group, Using 'ls -l':
>> brw-rw----+ root cdrom 11, 0 June 30 11:15 /dev/sr0
>> The "+" is a result of 70-uaccess.rules in /lib/udev/rules.d. It
>> indicates an Access Control List (ACL).
>
> ... which can be inquired by
>
> $ getfacl /dev/sr0
> user:thomas:rw-
>
> So my desktop user got an extra permission to read and write, regardless
> of group membership or "others" permission.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Rodolfo Medina

Jun 30, 2017, 7:30:05 AM6/30/17
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdb...@gmx.net> writes:

> Curt wrote:
>> mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1
>> or wherever the device exists on your machine.
>
> Unless on very old systems, i'd expect /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, ...

`mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/sr0 cdda://1' gives the same error output as
`mplayer cdda://'.

> Brian wrote:
>> It is worth noting that local access to the /dev/sr* device does
>> not depend on being a member of the cdrom group, Using 'ls -l':
>> brw-rw----+ root cdrom 11, 0 June 30 11:15 /dev/sr0
>> The "+" is a result of 70-uaccess.rules in /lib/udev/rules.d. It
>> indicates an Access Control List (ACL).
>
> ... which can be inquired by
>
> $ getfacl /dev/sr0
> user:thomas:rw-
>
> So my desktop user got an extra permission to read and write, regardless
> of group membership or "others" permission.

Same output for me.

Rodolfo

Brian

Jun 30, 2017, 12:00:08 PM6/30/17
On Fri 30 Jun 2017 at 12:27:18 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> "Thomas Schmitt" <scdb...@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Curt wrote:
> >> mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1
> >> or wherever the device exists on your machine.
> >
> > Unless on very old systems, i'd expect /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, ...
>
> `mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/sr0 cdda://1' gives the same error output as
> `mplayer cdda://'.

How about

vlc cdda:// ?

You have "solved" this problem previously:

Brian.

Rodolfo Medina

Jun 30, 2017, 8:20:07 PM6/30/17
Brian <ad...@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri 30 Jun 2017 at 12:27:18 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> > Unless on very old systems, i'd expect /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, ...
>>
>> `mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/sr0 cdda://1' gives the same error output as
>> `mplayer cdda://'.
>
> How about
>
> vlc cdda:// ?

Yes, vlc works!

> You have "solved" this problem previously:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/02/msg01080.html

Yes, but that time mplayer won't play files either. Now instead mplayer works
with mp3, audio files... but fails only with audio CDs. That time the problem
was solved installing alsaplayer-alsa and pulseaudio. Now I already have those
packages in my system...

Rodolfo

Brian

Jul 1, 2017, 6:30:06 AM7/1/17
On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 01:12:18 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad...@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> >> `mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/sr0 cdda://1' gives the same error output as
> >> `mplayer cdda://'.
> >
> > How about
> >
> > vlc cdda:// ?
>
> Yes, vlc works!

Not quite what you wanted but you can now play an audio CD.

We suppose the CD ROM shows activity (a blinking light) with
'mplayer cdda://' even though there is no sound output.

How do you go on with

'mplayer -ao alsa cdda:// ?

> > You have "solved" this problem previously:
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/02/msg01080.html
>
> Yes, but that time mplayer won't play files either. Now instead mplayer works
> with mp3, audio files... but fails only with audio CDs. That time the problem
> was solved installing alsaplayer-alsa and pulseaudio. Now I already have those
> packages in my system...

This could also be a software issue but this time involving pulseaudio.

--
Brian.

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 8:00:06 AM7/1/17
Brian <ad...@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

>> > How about
>> >
>> > vlc cdda:// ?
>>
>> Yes, vlc works!
>
> Not quite what you wanted but you can now play an audio CD.

Recently I noticed that mplayer, when playing audio CDs, is always complaining
this way:

`Audio device got stuck!'

, and sound continuosly `jumps' so becoming unheardable, and I thought it was
the device's hardware fault. But vlc plays well with no at all that problem.
I wonder about that... mplayer is very potent and comfortable, that's why I
use it...

> We suppose the CD ROM shows activity (a blinking light) with
> 'mplayer cdda://' even though there is no sound output.

I had settled the alias: `mplayer = mplayer -demuxer lavf'. After removing it,
now mplayer works regularly over CDs (apart from the above problem) as a normal
user. Instead, as root, the problem I started this thread with remains:
mplayer doesn't work... Not so great a problem, after all. But isn't it
strange that something user can do root can't...?

> How do you go on with
>
> 'mplayer -ao alsa cdda://'?

This doesn't help. But, I repeat, mplayer now works and read audio CDs from
normal user. Only, it continuosly `jumps' and gets stuck. (I will open a new
thread about that.)

Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 8:20:06 AM7/1/17
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently I noticed that mplayer, when playing audio CDs, is always
> complaining this way:
>
> `Audio device got stuck!'
>
> , and sound continuosly `jumps' so becoming unheardable, and I thought it was
> the device's hardware fault.

The problem disappears running mplayer as:

mplayer -ao alsa

Rodolfo

Curt

Jul 1, 2017, 9:30:06 AM7/1/17
On 2017-07-01, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, vlc works!
>>
>> Not quite what you wanted but you can now play an audio CD.
>
> Recently I noticed that mplayer, when playing audio CDs, is always complaining
> this way:

When playing audio CDs?

> `Audio device got stuck!'
>
> , and sound continuosly `jumps' so becoming unheardable, and I thought it was
> the device's hardware fault. But vlc plays well with no at all that problem.
> I wonder about that... mplayer is very potent and comfortable, that's why I
> use it...
>

>> We suppose the CD ROM shows activity (a blinking light) with
>> 'mplayer cdda://' even though there is no sound output.
>

> I had settled the alias: `mplayer = mplayer -demuxer lavf'. After removing it,
> now mplayer works regularly over CDs (apart from the above problem) as a normal

Oh, I see. There's something vaguely wild about this goose.

> user. Instead, as root, the problem I started this thread with remains:
> mplayer doesn't work... Not so great a problem, after all. But isn't it
> strange that something user can do root can't...?

Comme c'est étrange...

>> How do you go on with
>>
>> 'mplayer -ao alsa cdda://'?
>

> This doesn't help. But, I repeat, mplayer now works and read audio CDs from
> normal user. Only, it continuosly `jumps' and gets stuck. (I will open a new
> thread about that.)
>
> Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 9:40:05 AM7/1/17
Curt <cu...@free.fr> writes:

>>> Not quite what you wanted but you can now play an audio CD.
>>
>> Recently I noticed that mplayer, when playing audio CDs, is always
>> complaining this way:
>
> When playing audio CDs?
>
>> `Audio device got stuck!'
>>
>> , and sound continuosly `jumps' so becoming unheardable, and I thought it
>> was the device's hardware fault. But vlc plays well with no at all that
>> problem. I wonder about that... mplayer is very potent and comfortable,
>> that's why I use it...
>>

>>> We suppose the CD ROM shows activity (a blinking light) with
>>> 'mplayer cdda://' even though there is no sound output.
>>

>> I had settled the alias: `mplayer = mplayer -demuxer lavf'. After removing
>> it,
>> now mplayer works regularly over CDs (apart from the above problem) as a
>> normal
>
> Oh, I see. There's something vaguely wild about this goose.

Are you calling me stupid...? Thanks... ;-)

Curt

Jul 1, 2017, 10:00:05 AM7/1/17
On 2017-07-01, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Oh, I see. There's something vaguely wild about this goose.
>
> Are you calling me stupid...? Thanks... ;-)

I'm not calling you stupid and you're not stupid, far from it.

deloptes

Jul 1, 2017, 10:30:05 AM7/1/17
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Are you calling me stupid...?  Thanks... ;-)

just to be clear. You have had setup an alias for mplayer, correct? So
everything people advised here was run via this alias 'mplayer -demuxer
lavf'.

regards

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 11:10:07 AM7/1/17
I'm sorry... I apologize. But the problem with root still remains...

Thanks

Rodolfo

Curt

Jul 1, 2017, 11:40:06 AM7/1/17
On 2017-07-01, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
There's no need to apologize. As for the root problem I don't believe it
is a problem in the sense you mean it (I think). pulseaudio is not
intended to be run as root (that's what I'm reading on the innertubes). As
usual my understanding of the whole kaboodle is quite fragile, however. Also
I believe pulseaudio is configured per-useredly. IOW you'd have to
configure it for root in order for it to work (for root). Maybe.

Unless you're not using pulseaudio, in which case...

Now you see who's stupid.

;-)

> Thanks

David Wright

Jul 1, 2017, 11:50:06 AM7/1/17
First, it would seem sensible to clean up your first post by
revealing the output from, say,

# mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://

Currently I don't have mplayer installed, only mplayer2.
I would point out that this command still reads input.conf
files so you might want to move them out of the way too.

Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
sound files from other sources?

Thirdly, what's in /dev/snd?

# mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://
MPlayer2 2.0-728-g2c378c7-4+b1 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
Cannot open file '/root/.mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /root/.mplayer/input.conf.
Cannot open file '/etc/mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /etc/mplayer/input.conf.

Playing cdda://.
Found audio CD with 11 tracks.
CD-Text (CD):

Track 1
CD-Text (track):

Detected file format: rawaudio
Selected audio codec: Uncompressed PCM [pcm]
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 3.2 (03.2) of 4629.0 ( 1:17:09.0) 2.6%

Exiting... (Quit)
# ls -lR /dev/snd
/dev/snd:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Jul 1 08:25 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 2 Jul 1 08:25 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 5 Jul 1 08:25 hwC0D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 4 Jul 1 08:28 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 3 Jul 1 10:28 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 1 Jul 1 08:26 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Jul 1 08:25 timer

/dev/snd/by-path:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jul 1 08:25 pci-0000:00:1b.0 -> ../controlC0
#

Cheers,
David.

Curt

Jul 1, 2017, 12:10:12 PM7/1/17
On 2017-07-01, David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
> than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
> sound files from other sources?

Actually, upon further reflection, the root error message from his
original post was:

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root
PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)

which might mean the incriminated environment variable is being inherited from his
user shell (if he used 'su' maybe).

So, in order obviate that, he should--well, you tell me.

David Wright

Jul 1, 2017, 12:50:05 PM7/1/17
On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 16:00:12 (+0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2017-07-01, David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
> > than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
> > sound files from other sources?
> >

> Actually, upon further reflection, the root error message from his
> original post was:
>
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
> uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root
> PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
>
> which might mean the incriminated environment variable is being inherited from his
> user shell (if he used 'su' maybe).
>
> So, in order obviate that, he should--well, you tell me.

# mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
should deal with that.

Without that parameter, I (mplayer2) get an extra line of output:

AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused ←--------
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)

Cheers,
David.

Brian

Jul 1, 2017, 1:50:05 PM7/1/17
On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 10:42:45 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 16:03:13 (+0100), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > deloptes <delo...@gmail.com> writes:

> > > just to be clear. You have had setup an alias for mplayer, correct? So
> > > everything people advised here was run via this alias 'mplayer -demuxer
> > > lavf'.
> >

> > I'm sorry... I apologize. But the problem with root still remains...
>
> First, it would seem sensible to clean up your first post by
> revealing the output from, say,
>
> # mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://

As someone whose use and knowledge of anything other than vlc is
minimal I did this on unstable and got

Unknown option on command line: --noconfig=all
Error parsing option on the command line: --noconfig=all

> Currently I don't have mplayer installed, only mplayer2.

How relevant is this statement to the issue?

Package: mplayer2 (3:0.23.0-2)
transitional dummy package for mpv

This is a transitional dummy package to get upgrading systems to
install the mpv package. It can safely be removed once no other
package depends on it.

> I would point out that this command still reads input.conf
> files so you might want to move them out of the way too.
>
> Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
> than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
> sound files from other sources?

Once Thomas Schmitt had disposed of the idea that mplayer requires a
cable between drive and sound card it comes down to software and not
hardware.

(I use cdplay from the cdtool package quite extensively, especially in
scripts. If the OP had been using cdtool, Curt's cable suggestion would
have very likely been correct as cdtool uses the analogue play method).

I installed mplayer on a machine (which has pulseaudio) yesterday. There
was no problem with playing an audio CD, but I did not go in for any
customisation, which is probably not the case with Rodolfo Medina.

--
Brian.

Thomas Schmitt

Jul 1, 2017, 2:50:05 PM7/1/17

Brian wrote:
> Once Thomas Schmitt had disposed of the idea that mplayer requires a
> cable between drive and sound card it comes down to software and not
> hardware.

To be exacting, i only doubted the idea. It got disposed by the report
that a normal user (the desktop starting user ?) can have success.

The hardware is at least not yet proven to be faulty. I am not really
aware whether it was reported that one of the successful CD play attempts
was acoustically flawless. (E.g. by pure Grunge with all its fine nuances.)

> I installed mplayer on a machine (which has pulseaudio) yesterday. There
> was no problem with playing an audio CD

Did you try as superuser ?

I have the gutt feeling that user "root" is slowly being moved into
the role of the man who once was indispensible but now is just an
old fart whom the young agile people don't trust to do anything useful.

Curt noticed this message in the original message:
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by
> uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root
> PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)

So if the software means that the superuser is not welcome, then this
should be discussed with the software's Debian maintainer or its upstream
developers.

The other messages in the original post
look like software or system management problems, too.
(But hey, i am no expert with software that causes flamewars whenever
its name gets mentioned.)

Brian wrote:
> cdtool uses the analogue play method

It has been deprecated by MMC-5, which is the first MMC version mentioning
Blu-ray drives. So one could assume that BD drives would not support the
PLAY AUDIO command. Nevertheless, my newest two BD drives announce its
availability by feature 103h. Only my good old LG GGW-H20 does not offer it.
I assume the ASUS and the Optiarc burner have an audio socket at their
backside. The last one i had with front earphone socket was a Lite-On CD
burner from 2003.

David Wright

Jul 1, 2017, 5:50:05 PM7/1/17
On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 18:46:27 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Sat 01 Jul 2017 at 10:42:45 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > > I'm sorry... I apologize. But the problem with root still remains...
> >
> > First, it would seem sensible to clean up your first post by
> > revealing the output from, say,
> >
> > # mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://
>
> As someone whose use and knowledge of anything other than vlc is
> minimal I did this on unstable and got
>
> Unknown option on command line: --noconfig=all
> Error parsing option on the command line: --noconfig=all
>
> > Currently I don't have mplayer installed, only mplayer2.
>
> How relevant is this statement to the issue?
>
> Package: mplayer2 (3:0.23.0-2)
> transitional dummy package for mpv
>
> This is a transitional dummy package to get upgrading systems to
> install the mpv package. It can safely be removed once no other
> package depends on it.

I don't know. Actually I'm using
MPlayer2 2.0-728-g2c378c7-4+b1 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
which is a real package.

But the thrust of my post was two-fold: (1) get configuration
files out of the way, and (2) get pulseaudio out of the way.
I'm assuming people can handle reading the man page to adjust
the command line arguments (eg my long options _require_ --ao
and --noconfig to parse correctly; the OP seems to get away
with one hyphen).

Were I using stretch mplayer, I would have posted yesterday,
but the thread seemed to have wandered up blind alleys (group
membership, device aliases, etc) without addressing the error
messages posted (missing sound device files, alsa/sdl errors).

> > I would point out that this command still reads input.conf
> > files so you might want to move them out of the way too.
> >
> > Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
> > than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
> > sound files from other sources?
>
> Once Thomas Schmitt had disposed of the idea that mplayer requires a
> cable between drive and sound card it comes down to software and not
> hardware.
>
> (I use cdplay from the cdtool package quite extensively, especially in
> scripts. If the OP had been using cdtool, Curt's cable suggestion would
> have very likely been correct as cdtool uses the analogue play method).

Yes, I've used cdplay on occasions, and it's a lot quieter than
cdda because the disc so slowly comparatively, though I always
use eject rather than cdeject as the latter has given me problems.

Of course, with a laptop, you're at the mercy of the constructor
as to whether the analogue link exists.

> I installed mplayer on a machine (which has pulseaudio) yesterday. There
> was no problem with playing an audio CD, but I did not go in for any
> customisation, which is probably not the case with Rodolfo Medina.

Linux sound is complex enough that, once things work well enough,
I prefer not to disturb them, which is why I beg your forbearance.

Cheers,
David.

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 6:40:05 PM7/1/17
Curt <cu...@free.fr> writes:

> On 2017-07-01, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> deloptes <delo...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> just to be clear. You have had setup an alias for mplayer, correct? So
>>> everything people advised here was run via this alias 'mplayer -demuxer
>>> lavf'.
>>

>> I'm sorry... I apologize. But the problem with root still remains...
>
> There's no need to apologize. As for the root problem I don't believe it
> is a problem in the sense you mean it (I think). pulseaudio is not
> intended to be run as root (that's what I'm reading on the innertubes). As
> usual my understanding of the whole kaboodle is quite fragile, however. Also
> I believe pulseaudio is configured per-useredly. IOW you'd have to
> configure it for root in order for it to work (for root). Maybe.
>
> Unless you're not using pulseaudio, in which case...
>
> Now you see who's stupid.
>
> ;-)

:-) thanks...

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 7:30:06 PM7/1/17
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> writes:

> My output seems to be the same as yours:
>
> # ls -lR /dev/snd
> /dev/snd:
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Jul 1 23:55 by-path
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 2 Jul 1 23:55 controlC0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 5 Jul 1 23:55 controlC1
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 4 Jul 1 23:55 hwC0D0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 9 Jul 1 23:55 hwC1D0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 3 Jul 1 23:56 pcmC0D3p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 7 Jul 1 23:56 pcmC1D0c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 6 Jul 1 23:56 pcmC1D0p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 8 Jul 1 23:55 pcmC1D2c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 1 Jul 1 23:55 seq
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Jul 1 23:55 timer
>
> /dev/snd/by-path:
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jul 1 23:55 pci-0000:00:01.1 -> ../controlC0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jul 1 23:55 pci-0000:00:14.2 -> ../controlC1

Well, no, it's different: in mine there's no pcmC0D0c...

Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 7:30:06 PM7/1/17
Thanks to all who kindly replied.

David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> Secondly, most of the error messages involved alsa rather
> than the CD player. How does root get on with playing
> sound files from other sources?

Yes, the error message remains also with sound files, so it actually does not
concern cdda:

# mplayer beeth-symph3-klemperer_01.wav
MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing beeth-symph3-klemperer_01.wav.
libavformat version 57.56.101 (external)
Audio only file format detected.
Load subtitles in ./
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1602:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:1052:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
[AO SDL] using aalib audio driver.
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
Failed to initialize audio driver 'sdl:aalib'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

> First, it would seem sensible to clean up your first post by
> revealing the output from, say,
>
> # mplayer --noconfig=all --ao=alsa cdda://
>
> Currently I don't have mplayer installed, only mplayer2.
> I would point out that this command still reads input.conf
> files so you might want to move them out of the way too.

The error remains:

# mplayer -noconfig all -ao alsa beeth-symph3-klemperer_01.wav
MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
[...]

Please note that if, instead of becoming root with `su', I log in as root, the
error message is smaller:

[...]

Thanks,

Rodolfo

David Wright

Jul 1, 2017, 8:00:05 PM7/1/17
Any help from
?

Cheers,
David.

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 9:30:05 PM7/1/17
Yes: it solved half a problem... or maybe one since they were two... Thanks to
archlinux topic's suggestion (create .asoundrc and put `defaults.pcm.device 3'
in it), mplayer's finally plays as root, but its output is:

# mplayer -ao alsa beeth-symph3-klemperer_01.wav
[...]

, and there's no sound...

Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 1, 2017, 9:40:07 PM7/1/17
...also with `-ao alsa'.

Rodolfo

Curt

Jul 2, 2017, 5:40:05 AM7/2/17
On 2017-07-02, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
> AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> Video: no video
> Starting playback...

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/0 mplayer ... ?

> , and there's no sound...
>
> Rodolfo

Brian

Jul 2, 2017, 7:30:06 AM7/2/17
On Sun 02 Jul 2017 at 09:29:25 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2017-07-02, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >==========================================================================
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
> > AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> > Video: no video
> > Starting playback...
>
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/0 mplayer ... ?

The message (from pulseaudio, I think) is valid. su has been used to
gain root so $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is inherited from the user's shell.
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR should be specific for each user, not shared.

export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=""

can be run before mplayer to not see it.

> > , and there's no sound...

There is for me.

root@test:/home/brian# ls -lR /dev/snd
/dev/snd:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Jul 2 11:54 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 2 Jul 2 11:54 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 7 Jul 2 11:54 hwC0D2
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 4 Jul 2 11:56 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 3 Jul 2 12:21 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 5 Jul 2 11:56 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 6 Jul 2 11:54 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 1 Jul 2 11:54 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Jul 2 11:54 timer

/dev/snd/by-path:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jul 2 11:54 pci-0000:00:1b.0 -> ../controlC0

--
Brian.

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 2, 2017, 10:20:05 AM7/2/17
Brian <ad...@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun 02 Jul 2017 at 09:29:25 +0000, Curt wrote:
>
>> On 2017-07-02, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >==========================================================================
>> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid
>> > 1000! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio
>> > as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
>> > AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
>> > Video: no video
>> > Starting playback...

No, neither

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/0 mplayer ... ?

nor

export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=""

did help...

Thanks,

Rodolfo

Curt

Jul 2, 2017, 11:10:06 AM7/2/17
On 2017-07-02, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, neither
>
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/0 mplayer ... ?
>
> nor
>
> export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=""
>
> did help...

Well I'm still reading that "pulseaudio in normal user mode will allow
only the active session as marked by ConsoleKit to access the audio
hardware."

So it would seem that you'd have to run pulseaudio as a system-wide
instance for this to work (sound for your regular user and root through
pulseaudio, configured by each with pavucontrol).

> Thanks,

Brian

Jul 2, 2017, 12:20:06 PM7/2/17
Help with what? export.... is only intended to make the variable empty
so that the message above does not appear after a su to root. It does
not turn a non-working audio into a working one.

Your original problem (no CD audio as a user) has been solved. No audio
as root is an interesting problem but hardly critical. I have no issue
with audio as a user or as root when playing a CD. Reviewing any tweaks
you have made to the system is advised.

--
Brian.

Rodolfo Medina

Jul 2, 2017, 1:40:05 PM7/2/17
It's so... All right.

Thanks,

Rodolfo

Thomas Schmitt

Jul 5, 2017, 6:00:07 PM7/5/17

Michael Fothergill quoted:
> Zieht den Bayern die Lederhosen aus

That's the traditional and well justified defamation of german soccer
club FC Bayern Muenchen.

We shall not forget to mention the profound analysis by Die Toten Hosen:

What parents does one need to have
to be so rotten
to sign a contract
with that [beep] club ?

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/dietotenhosen/bayern.html

Michael Lange wrote:
> But... how do you know he is a Bayern München fan?? :-)

Hey. Since when does it need the presence of a Bayern fan to start
chanting derogative verses against the ball kicking money bags ?

Wilko Fokken

Jul 7, 2017, 4:50:05 PM7/7/17
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 09:23:15AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2017-06-29, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please help... mplayer works fine when playing files (mp3, wav, etc), but
> > fails in playing audio CDs. When I launch it as a normal user I have:
> >
> > $ mplayer cdda://
> > MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.3.0 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
> > do_connect: could not connect to socket
> > connect: No such file or directory
> > Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
>
> How about giving it the full path:
>
> mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom cdda://1
> mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/hdb cdda://1
>
> or wherever the device exists on your machine.
>
> Also perhaps verify in a mixer program (alsamixer, e.g.) that cdrom audio output
> isn't muted.
>
> Maybe there's no audio cable between the cd drive and the sound card.
>
> ;-)

Moin together,

having only recently succeded in running a movie DVD and a music CD using
mplayer via smplayer under Debian Jenny on my laptop "hp 6730b", I found
that my pulseaudio sound system needs to be activated BEFORE other
processes using sound are started.

[using 'ps ax', one can study the mplayer params set by smplayer]

In order to be able to refresh my sound system at any time, even after
processes using sound are already active, I'm using a simple alias
(from within a terminal):

alias pulse='sudo kill -9 $(pidof pulseaudio) && alsamixer -c0'

hope this may help a bit

W. Fokken

Greg Wooledge

Jul 7, 2017, 5:20:06 PM7/7/17
On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 10:27:03PM +0200, Wilko Fokken wrote:
> alias pulse='sudo kill -9 $(pidof pulseaudio) && alsamixer -c0'

man pkill, and stop using -9

Wellington Terumi Uemura

Jul 7, 2017, 10:40:06 PM7/7/17
Sorry to bump in to this, but why not use players like vlc, Audacious or
Kodi?

To me Audacious still kicking and works on Debian 9.
https://s9.postimg.org/ir3ta4kdb/Audacious.png

deloptes

Jul 8, 2017, 3:10:05 AM7/8/17
Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:

> Sorry to bump in to this, but why not use players like vlc, Audacious or
> Kodi?

Because they are ugly and not of same quality compared to mplayer

Wellington Terumi Uemura

Jul 8, 2017, 6:10:06 AM7/8/17
Please define quality, sound quality?
Where can I read more about it?
Can you equalize the sound on the fly?
Have you heard about mpv?

deloptes

Jul 8, 2017, 7:10:05 AM7/8/17
Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:

> Please define quality, sound quality?
> Where can I read more about it?
> Can you equalize the sound on the fly?
> Have you heard about mpv?
> https://mpv.io/

I don't want to argue. Everybody is free to use what she/he find suitable.
I don't care what mpv is as I already have what I need.

regards

Wellington Terumi Uemura

Jul 8, 2017, 7:40:05 AM7/8/17
I really want to know, not to argue. Something I should consider with
mplayer?
I design audio gear myself.
http://i.imgur.com/rUpDHBG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Xl8IqPV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/grEcWxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K8czc7U.jpg

And still looking for a decent HQ audio option for linux, did I miss
something on mplayer?

Thanks.

Wilko Fokken

Jul 8, 2017, 9:00:06 AM7/8/17
On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 11:34:13PM -0300, Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:
> Sorry to bump in to this, but why not use players like vlc, Audacious or
> Kodi?
>
> To me Audacious still kicking and works on Debian 9.
> https://s9.postimg.org/ir3ta4kdb/Audacious.png

Within dselect,
I made a little test activating packets for installation:

a) vlc
b) mplayer + smplayer

and compared the amount of packets to be installed:

mplayer turned out to be the slimmer choice,
and does it's job.

deloptes

Jul 8, 2017, 9:20:05 AM7/8/17
Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:

> And still looking for a decent HQ audio option for linux, did I miss
> something on mplayer?

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. mplayer can be embedded,
but it is just the engine. in the background there are (almost) the same
plugins you would see in vlc.

Look at their homepage or in the code directly.

regards

Wellington Terumi Uemura

Jul 8, 2017, 10:20:05 AM7/8/17
Too bad I can't code, otherwise I would. Tried to learn a few years ago,
all I see is "do this, do that, hello world" but I miss some kind of a
logic behind it. Is just like OS's, if you get the logic behind it you
can use any, it doesn't matter the brand.

I'm looking for Improved signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), True 24-bit @
192kHz audio playback, no humans hear that, still I have hardware to do
some test with, low latency, players that doesn't click or pops, you
know, the good stuff.

Thanks.

Wellington Terumi Uemura

Jul 8, 2017, 10:30:05 AM7/8/17
I don't have space limitations around here, as long as it works. ;)
Maybe I should move to another Linux distribution specific for my needs.
http://www.ap-linux.com

I don't know if is because I'm aging and now I've other priorities, I
don't fell like messing with Linux too much. Before I used to compile my
kernel specific to my machine, with specific cflags and all.

Now I just want the damn thing to work ;)

deloptes

Jul 8, 2017, 1:40:05 PM7/8/17
Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:

> I'm looking for Improved signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), True 24-bit @
> 192kHz audio playback, no humans hear that, still I have hardware to do
> some test with, low latency, players that doesn't click or pops, you
> know, the good stuff.

So you must know that the source should be coded this way otherwise it makes
no sense. In todays world of mp3 crippled audio, I am not sure you find
high quality coded stuff that easy.

You better grab a some vinil from your grandma ;-)

deloptes

Jul 8, 2017, 1:50:05 PM7/8/17
Wellington Terumi Uemura wrote:

> Now I just want the damn thing to work

For this reason I use Trinity Desktop ;-) - it just works - the old fashion
way.

Wellington Terumi Uemura

Jul 9, 2017, 9:50:06 PM7/9/17
Yes, I use source from HDtracks, ProStudio Masters, 7studio, Bowers &
Wilkins Society of Sound, Primephonic, DSD, along Hi-Res 24-bit/192kHz
capable equipment.

I'm not a big fan of downloading mp3, I rather like to convert my own
stuff to hear it in FLAC or AAC. Music in general this days are crap,
the ones that play in the main media in special, not to say the quality,
most of then are over saturated, over compressed (loudness war).

Checking some with Audacity you can see a red block from start to finish
of the song.

Not big fan of vinyl and tube/valve amps. ;-)