GRUB: "error incompatible license. Entering rescue mode..."

Christian Hammers

Nov 10, 2011, 6:10:02 AM11/10/11
Hello

Yesterday I created an empty guest system on a VMware Host, bootet it with
a GRML CD, copied over a running system and installed a boot loader using
grub-install.

When rebooting this newly cloned guest system I got the following error:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: incompatible license.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I felt a bit baffled and had no clue so I rebooted GRML again, and this time
ran the grub-install after doing a chroot into the cloned system. That worked.

Still, I'm wondering where this "incompatible license" error comes from.
I cannot find it in the current GRUB2 source code. Has it anything to do
with VMware? Google shows a couple of hits for this message but no real
answer to where there should be a license issue.

Any ideas?

bye,

-christian-

Jerome BENOIT

May 10, 2012, 7:30:02 PM5/10/12
Hello List:

I have exactly the same issue, and the same wondering:
any (fresh) idea ?

> When rebooting this newly cloned guest system I got the following error:
>
> GRUB loading.
> Welcome to GRUB!
>
> error: incompatible license.
> Entering rescue mode...
> grub rescue>
>
>I felt a bit baffled and had no clue so I rebooted GRML again, and this time
>ran the grub-install after doing a chroot into the cloned system. That worked.
>
>Still, I'm wondering where this "incompatible license" error comes from.
>I cannot find it in the current GRUB2 source code. Has it anything to do
>with VMware? Google shows a couple of hits for this message but no real
>answer to where there should be a license issue.
>
>Any ideas?

Jerome

Ralf Mardorf

May 11, 2012, 1:00:01 AM5/11/12
GRUB 3 and GRUB Legacy are GNU GPL 3+
http://www.vmware.com/ ?

It's not unusual that there are issues regarding to licenses.

The Linux kernel-rt and the proprietary Nvidia driver do have licenses
issues too. Not funny since nv is dropped.

- Ralf

Brian

May 12, 2012, 5:10:01 AM5/12/12
On Fri 11 May 2012 at 01:20:04 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> Hello List:
>
> I have exactly the same issue, and the same wondering:
> any (fresh) idea ?

Your setup is possibly inconsistent. The modules in /boot/grub do not
match the version of GRUB in the MBR.

Jerome BENOIT

May 12, 2012, 9:20:02 AM5/12/12
Hello List:

On 12/05/12 11:04, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 11 May 2012 at 01:20:04 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>
>> Hello List:
>>
>> I have exactly the same issue, and the same wondering:
>> any (fresh) idea ?
>
> Your setup is possibly inconsistent. The modules in /boot/grub do not
> match the version of GRUB in the MBR.

This is certainly true as to fix the issue I played with `grub-install --recheck'.
The error message sounds them rather inappropriate.

Jerome

Brad Alexander

May 12, 2012, 10:40:02 AM5/12/12
I don't recall a license issue, but I recently migrated my workstation
from one drive to the other, and I had to do the following to get it
to work:

grub-install --recheck (to update for the drive/partition UUIDs)
update-grub (to update grub.cfg)

And of course, update your fstab/crypttab.

--b
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAKmZw+Z6C2mcL2Tcjjmb3XcY+fF0QeTaUS3tN4zvVMBc=VH...@mail.gmail.com