segfaults and error 4 in ld-2.13.so with soffice.bin and kate

Gary Roach

Oct 7, 2014, 7:00:01 PM10/7/14
After cloning my bad drive to a new one and installing the new drive
(see previous messages titled excessive CPU usage) i am left with the
following problem:

Kate and libreoffice.writer refuse to open and give the errors

soffice.bin[10369]: segfault at 7ffe25921b1c ip 00007ffd559f97c3 sp
00007fff317bc4a0 error 4 in ld-2.13.so[7ffd559f0000+20000] and

kate[8636]: segfault at 7fa4e4a5cb3f ip 00007fa4a700eadd sp
00007fff31fbd630 error 4 in ld-2.13.so[7fa4a7005000+20000]respectively.

These fault messages were found in th kern.log file

Any attempt to start kate produces the message and drops back to the prompt.

Libreoffice will start and works for everything except writer. Writer
will start but errors out when an attempt is made to open an odt file.
Doc files open OK.

I have tried every program that is installed on my system. All others
work fine.

System information:
OS Debian Linux amd64
Wheezy
Intel i5-750 processor with Intel mother board

I've searched the net and this list hand have not found any useful
information. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R.

Gary Roach

Oct 11, 2014, 9:20:01 PM10/11/14
On 10/07/2014 03:00 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
> After cloning my bad drive to a new one and installing the new drive
> (see previous messages titled excessive CPU usage) i am left with the
> following problem:
>
> Kate and libreoffice.writer refuse to open and give the errors
>
> soffice.bin[10369]: segfault at 7ffe25921b1c ip 00007ffd559f97c3 sp
> 00007fff317bc4a0 error 4 in ld-2.13.so[7ffd559f0000+20000] and
>
> kate[8636]: segfault at 7fa4e4a5cb3f ip 00007fa4a700eadd sp
> 00007fff31fbd630 error 4 in ld-2.13.so[7fa4a7005000+20000]respectively.
>
> These fault messages were found in th kern.log file
>
> Any attempt to start kate produces the message and drops back to the
> prompt.
>
> Libreoffice will start and works for everything except writer. Writer
> will start but errors out when an attempt is made to open an odt file.
> Doc files open OK.
>
> I have tried every program that is installed on my system. All others
> work fine.
>
> System information:
> OS Debian Linux amd64
> Wheezy
> Intel i5-750 processor with Intel mother board
>
> I've searched the net and this list hand have not found any useful
> information. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.
>
> Gary R.

I found several internet references to memory errors as a cause for
segfault errors and tried to run both memtest86 and memtes86+. Both
programs gave the same error message. - error:too small lower memory
(0x99100 > 0x8f000). There are indications that this is a bug in the
memtest programs and not a system problem. What is true and what should
I do about it.

The original problem is still hear and I have no idea how to fix it.
Please help!!!

Gary R.

Don Armstrong

Oct 11, 2014, 9:30:01 PM10/11/14
On Tue, 07 Oct 2014, Gary Roach wrote:
> After cloning my bad drive to a new one and installing the new drive
> (see previous messages titled excessive CPU usage) i am left with the
> following problem:
>
> Kate and libreoffice.writer refuse to open and give the errors

I would reinstall libreoffice, kate, and all of their dependencies
before going too far into this.

It's quite possibly that your bad drive had a bad sector or similar in
one or more of these programs... especially since you didn't experience
these segfaults before, and no one else has either.

Something like:

aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i';
aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(kate)~i';

will do that for you.

If they still occur, enable coredumps, and get a backtrace of the
coredump using gdb or similar. [You'll also want to install all of the
-dbg packages you can for the libraries referenced in the backtrace.]

--
Don Armstrong http://www.donarmstrong.com

One day I put instant coffee in my microwave oven and almost went back
in time.
-- Steven Wright

Michael Biebl

Oct 11, 2014, 9:40:02 PM10/11/14
Am 12.10.2014 um 03:28 schrieb Don Armstrong:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014, Gary Roach wrote:
>> After cloning my bad drive to a new one and installing the new drive
>> (see previous messages titled excessive CPU usage) i am left with the
>> following problem:
>>
>> Kate and libreoffice.writer refuse to open and give the errors
>
> I would reinstall libreoffice, kate, and all of their dependencies
> before going too far into this.
>
> It's quite possibly that your bad drive had a bad sector or similar in
> one or more of these programs... especially since you didn't experience
> these segfaults before, and no one else has either.

Running a debsums check might be a good idea as well to find possibly
corrupted files.

universe are pointed away from Earth?

signature.asc

Gary Roach

Oct 12, 2014, 12:20:01 PM10/12/14
On 10/11/2014 06:28 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014, Gary Roach wrote:
>> After cloning my bad drive to a new one and installing the new drive
>> (see previous messages titled excessive CPU usage) i am left with the
>> following problem:
>>
>> Kate and libreoffice.writer refuse to open and give the errors
> I would reinstall libreoffice, kate, and all of their dependencies
> before going too far into this.
>
> It's quite possibly that your bad drive had a bad sector or similar in
> one or more of these programs... especially since you didn't experience
> these segfaults before, and no one else has either.
>
> Something like:
>
> aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i';
> aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(kate)~i';
>
> will do that for you.
>
> If they still occur, enable coredumps, and get a backtrace of the
> coredump using gdb or similar. [You'll also want to install all of the
> -dbg packages you can for the libraries referenced in the backtrace.]

Thanks for your help. As suggested, I first ran debsum on kate and
libreoffice. All check sums were OK. I then ran the reverse-Depends as
suggested above on kate and cleared the problem. Kate now works fine.
The reverse-Depends run on Libreoffice returned - E: Couldn't configure
pre-depend dpkg:amd64 for libreoffice-common:amd64, probably a
dependency cycle.

Gary Roach

Oct 12, 2014, 12:30:02 PM10/12/14
On 10/11/2014 06:28 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014, Gary Roach wrote:
>> After cloning my bad drive to a new one and installing the new drive
>> (see previous messages titled excessive CPU usage) i am left with the
>> following problem:
>>
>> Kate and libreoffice.writer refuse to open and give the errors
> I would reinstall libreoffice, kate, and all of their dependencies
> before going too far into this.
>
> It's quite possibly that your bad drive had a bad sector or similar in
> one or more of these programs... especially since you didn't experience
> these segfaults before, and no one else has either.
>
> Something like:
>
> aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i';
> aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(kate)~i';
>
> will do that for you.
>
> If they still occur, enable coredumps, and get a backtrace of the
> coredump using gdb or similar. [You'll also want to install all of the
> -dbg packages you can for the libraries referenced in the backtrace.]

Thanks for your help. As suggested, I first ran debsum on kate and
libreoffice. All check sums were OK. I then ran the reverse-Depends as
suggested above on kate. This cleared the problem. Kate now works fine.
The reverse-Depends run on Libreoffice returned - E: Couldn't configure
pre-depend dpkg:amd64 for libreoffice-common:amd64, probably a
dependency cycle.

{{{Sorry about the prior message being cut short. I hit the wrong button.}}}

In conclusion, I tried re-running the reverse-Depends on
libreoffice-common:amd64 but got the usual - 0 packages upgraded, 0
newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded - message when there is
nothing to do. Libreoffice still doesn't work. Same error of soffice.bin
segfault error4 ld-2.13.so

Gary R

Don Armstrong

Oct 12, 2014, 1:40:01 PM10/12/14
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Gary Roach wrote:
> Thanks for your help. As suggested, I first ran debsum on kate and
> libreoffice. All check sums were OK.

It's most likely not libreoffice or kate itself, but one of its
dependencies. Something like:

aptitude search -F '%p' '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i'|xargs debsums -c;

> I then ran the reverse-Depends as suggested above on kate. This
> cleared the problem. Kate now works fine. The reverse-Depends run on
> Libreoffice returned - E: Couldn't configure pre-depend dpkg:amd64 for
> libreoffice-common:amd64, probably a dependency cycle.

aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i~not(~name(dpkg))'

You might have to repeat the ~not() bit if there are other packages
involved in a dependency cycle.

--
Don Armstrong http://www.donarmstrong.com

Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves
exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves
only the unanimity of the graveyard.
-- Justice Roberts in 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

Gary Roach

Oct 15, 2014, 4:10:02 PM10/15/14
I finally purged libreoffice from my system and then, using locate,
removed every LO file left. I then re-installed libreoffice from
wheezy-backport to get the amd64 version. This cleared the problem.

Thanks for all of the help you gave.

Gary R.