rsync problem

francois mounier

Sep 4, 2003, 6:40:12 AM9/4/03
Hi

I am using Debian woody 3.0_r1 on hppa and rsync 2.5.6

I have several web servers and I d like to use rsync to keep my web
content up-to-date on each server. One of the server runs rsync as a
daemon the other are rsync clients...

So on all I have installed rsync package on all
From my client when I do
rsync 192.168.1.2::
it retruns
test welcome
So means that the rsync server is running (rsync --daemon on the
server)

Here my /etc/rsync.d file

log file = /var/log/rsyncd

[test]
path = /var/www
comment = welcome

but when I run
rsync 192.168.1.2::test/ /var/www

it returns this error
@ERROR: invalid gid nobody
rsync: connection inexpectedly closed (39 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(150)

and when I check the log file on my server
rsync: name lookup failed for 192.168.1.4: Name or service not known
Invalid gid nobody

I am logged as root on each machines and the chmod of /var/www is at
777....(if its usefull)
What I am doing wrong???
I there anything to do with the content of the /etc/hosts files ??

Thanks
francois

Gerhard Venter

Sep 4, 2003, 7:10:06 AM9/4/03
francois mounier wrote:

>it returns this error
>@ERROR: invalid gid nobody
>rsync: connection inexpectedly closed (39 bytes read so far)
>rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
>io.c(150)

I don't know if Debian is different, but rsync can work with its own
users and passwords (i.e they don't have to be, or should probably not
be Unix users), in a file called rsyncd.secrets. In a non-Debian setup
I have this line in the rsync.d file:
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

The file /etc/rsyncd.secrets contains:
mirroruser:mirroruser'spassword

The client can have a file (which can be called rsyncpassword or
anything, because you specify it in the command)
Then the client runs:
rsync -acvz -P --timeout=6000 --stats --password-file=/etc/rsyncpassword
mirro...@192.168.1.2::test/ /var/www

Gerhard

francois mounier

Sep 4, 2003, 9:50:11 AM9/4/03
-------------------

> francois mounier wrote:
>
> >it returns this error
> >@ERROR: invalid gid nobody
> >rsync: connection inexpectedly closed (39 bytes read so far)
> >rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> >io.c(150)
> >
> I don't know if Debian is different, but rsync can work with its own

> users and passwords (i.e they don't have to be, or should probably
not
> be Unix users), in a file called rsyncd.secrets. In a non-Debian
setup
> I have this line in the rsync.d file:
> secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>
> The file /etc/rsyncd.secrets contains:
> mirroruser:mirroruser'spassword
>
> The client can have a file (which can be called rsyncpassword or
> anything, because you specify it in the command)
> Then the client runs:
> rsync -acvz -P --timeout=6000 --stats
--password-file=/etc/rsyncpassword
> mirro...@192.168.1.2::test/ /var/www
>
> Gerhard

I ve found the problem...
In the rsyncd.conf file
I add this line
gid = nogroup

and now its working very well...
Thanks for the command line very usefull..

Bye
Francois

Kevin McKinley

Sep 16, 2003, 7:40:16 AM9/16/03
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:55:50 +0200
francois mounier <irt01...@isaip.uco.fr> wrote:

> but when I run
> rsync 192.168.1.2::test/ /var/www
>
> it returns this error
> @ERROR: invalid gid nobody
> rsync: connection inexpectedly closed (39 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(150)

This is a bug in Debian's rsync packaging (and shame on me for not filing it
when I noticed it).

By default rsync runs as the user "nobody" in the group "nobody".

Debian doesn't use the group "nobody"; that group is "nogroup".

So in the "[test]" section of /etc/rsyncd.conf, add a line:

"gid = nogroup"

Kevin