USB hub problem.

atar

Jan 5, 2014, 1:30:02 PM1/5/14
Hi there!

I've a Toshiba USB 3.0 hard disk drive and when I attach it directly to
the USB controller on my PC I succeed to mount it without any problem, but
surprisingly, when I attach it to my PC via a 4-port USB hub, things get
complicated.

For some reason, the system registers the hard disk drive as a character
device under the name: '/dev/sg3' and the mount command refuses to mount
it and emits the following error messages:

Error reading bootsector: Illegal seek
Failed to sync device /dev/sg3: Invalid argument
Failed to mount '/dev/sg3': Illegal seek

What should I do in order to be able to mount the HDD via the USB hub too?

Regards,

atar.

Ignazio Palmisano

Jan 5, 2014, 1:40:02 PM1/5/14
On 5 January 2014 20:07, atar <atar....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've a Toshiba USB 3.0 hard disk drive and when I attach it directly to the
> USB controller on my PC I succeed to mount it without any problem, but
> surprisingly, when I attach it to my PC via a 4-port USB hub, things get
> complicated.
>
> For some reason, the system registers the hard disk drive as a character
> device under the name: '/dev/sg3' and the mount command refuses to mount it
> and emits the following error messages:
>
> Error reading bootsector: Illegal seek
> Failed to sync device /dev/sg3: Invalid argument
> Failed to mount '/dev/sg3': Illegal seek
>
> What should I do in order to be able to mount the HDD via the USB hub too?
>
> Regards,
>
> atar.

I think I saw similar issues once, and the problem was that the USB
port was not providing enough power. Does the hub have any way of
attaching an external power source?
I.

atar

Jan 5, 2014, 3:50:02 PM1/5/14
Hi!

Thanks for replying!

As per your question, the USB hub has not a jack for an external power
supply since it is designed to receive all its power from the USB bus
itself. moreover, the HDD itself is powered solely on the bus power. But I
think you're likely to be correct since Microsoft Windows XP is also not
able to mount the HDD when it is attached via the hub. apparently those
devices need a hub with external power supply to provide them with their
power consumption requirements.

Regards,

atar.

Joe

Jan 5, 2014, 4:50:01 PM1/5/14
On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 22:31:14 -0000
atar <atar....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for replying!
>
> As per your question, the USB hub has not a jack for an external power
> supply since it is designed to receive all its power from the USB bus
> itself. moreover, the HDD itself is powered solely on the bus power.
> But I think you're likely to be correct since Microsoft Windows XP is
> also not able to mount the HDD when it is attached via the hub.
> apparently those devices need a hub with external power supply to
> provide them with their power consumption requirements.

You may also find that the length and/or quality of the cabling
matters. I have a small Samsung drive which came with a cable about 8cm
long, and it doesn't work reliably with longer cables.

It certainly doesn't work through a hub, but it is long enough ago that
I tried it that I can't remember the exact problem. I would have tried
it with an externally-powered hub, as the ports of an unpowered hub
often restrict the supply current to 100mA or so, a full-spec USB
port must be able to provide 500mA.

--
Joe