GnuTLS versus OpenSSL.

peas...@shaw.ca

May 23, 2013, 12:20:02 PM5/23/13
Can anyone explain why Debian uses OpenSSL rather
than GnuTLS? Is it just that OpenSSL was available
first and many packages use it?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202 Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca http://carnot.yi.org/

Andrei POPESCU

May 23, 2013, 12:40:02 PM5/23/13
On Jo, 23 mai 13, 09:10:06, peas...@shaw.ca wrote:
> Can anyone explain why Debian uses OpenSSL rather
> than GnuTLS? Is it just that OpenSSL was available
> first and many packages use it?

I doubt there is any general Debian policy of using OpenSSL rather than
GnuTLS. If a particular software can use both it's usually the package
Maintainer who decides how that software will be configured for Debian.

Kind regards,
Andrei
signature.asc

peas...@shaw.ca

May 29, 2013, 2:00:03 PM5/29/13
* From: Andrei POPESCU <andreim...@gmail.com>
* Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:31:42 +0300
> I doubt there is any general Debian policy of using OpenSSL rather than
> GnuTLS.

OK; thanks.

> If a particular software can use both it's usually the package
> Maintainer who decides how that software will be configured for Debian.

OpenVPN uses OpenSSL and I don't know of anything using GnuTLS;
but then my experience is meagre.

Seems plausible that OpenSSL gained prominence just by being first.

... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202 Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca http://carnot.yi.org/
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Tixy

May 30, 2013, 3:30:01 AM5/30/13
On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 07:10 -0700, peas...@shaw.ca wrote:
> * From: Andrei POPESCU <andreim...@gmail.com>
> * Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:31:42 +0300
> > I doubt there is any general Debian policy of using OpenSSL rather than
> > GnuTLS.
>
> OK; thanks.
>
> > If a particular software can use both it's usually the package
> > Maintainer who decides how that software will be configured for Debian.
>
> OpenVPN uses OpenSSL and I don't know of anything using GnuTLS;
> but then my experience is meagre.

As it happens, there is a security update for gnutls today and I see in
aptitude as I upgrade it that there are 224 packages which depend on it,
significant ones which I have installed are exim4, cups, wget,
network-manager...

--
Tixy