cannot open EPS file with inkscape

Umarzuki Mochlis

Apr 23, 2010, 10:20:02 AM4/23/10
At inkscape wiki, it says that we can open .eps file if ghostscript is installed
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_formats_can_Inkscape_import.2Fexport.3F

# aptitude search ghostscript
i A ghostscript                     - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
p   ghostscript-doc                 - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
i A ghostscript-x                   - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr

or does it meant other ghostscript?

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Camaleón

Apr 23, 2010, 11:00:03 AM4/23/10
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:17:00 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> At inkscape wiki, it says that we can open .eps file if ghostscript is
> installed
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/
FAQ#What_formats_can_Inkscape_import.2Fexport.3F

Mmmm, it says it can "import" not to "open".

Have you tested with "File/Import" and it fails?

> # aptitude search ghostscript
> i A ghostscript - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
> p ghostscript-doc - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
> i A ghostscript-x - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
>
> or does it meant other ghostscript?

It seems to need "ps2pdf" so check if you have it installed with "whereis
ps2pf".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Umarzuki Mochlis

Apr 23, 2010, 11:40:02 AM4/23/10
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:17:00 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> At inkscape wiki, it says that we can open .eps file if ghostscript is
> installed
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/
FAQ#What_formats_can_Inkscape_import.2Fexport.3F

Mmmm, it says it can "import" not to "open".

Have you tested with "File/Import" and it fails?

i cannot import it and it is not detected as inkscape file

> # aptitude search ghostscript
> i A ghostscript                     - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
> p   ghostscript-doc                 - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
> i A ghostscript-x                   - The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpr
>
> or does it meant other ghostscript?

It seems to need "ps2pdf" so check if you have it installed with "whereis
ps2pf".

i have ps2pdf

$ whereis ps2pdf
ps2pdf: /usr/bin/ps2pdf /usr/share/man/man1/ps2pdf.1.gz

have i missed something else?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón

Apr 23, 2010, 11:50:02 AM4/23/10
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:39:08 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Have you tested with "File/Import" and it fails?
>>

> i cannot import it and it is not detected as inkscape file

Are you getting any warning message?

>> It seems to need "ps2pdf" so check if you have it installed with
>> "whereis ps2pf".
>>

> i have ps2pdf
>
> $ whereis ps2pdf
> ps2pdf: /usr/bin/ps2pdf /usr/share/man/man1/ps2pdf.1.gz
>
> have i missed something else?

Not sure... maybe you are facing this bug:

***
inkscape: EPS import broken
***

Umarzuki Mochlis

Apr 23, 2010, 12:10:02 PM4/23/10
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:39:08 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Have you tested with "File/Import" and it fails?
>>

> i cannot import it and it is not detected as inkscape file

Are you getting any warning message?

when i tried to open it from command line
$ inkscape T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps
T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
����
^

and there's a pop-up with message "Failed to load the requested file T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps"

>> It seems to need "ps2pdf" so check if you have it installed with
>> "whereis ps2pf".
>>

> i have ps2pdf
>
> $ whereis ps2pdf
> ps2pdf: /usr/bin/ps2pdf /usr/share/man/man1/ps2pdf.1.gz
>
> have i missed something else?

Not sure... maybe you are facing this bug:

***
inkscape: EPS import broken
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón

Apr 23, 2010, 12:20:01 PM4/23/10
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:04:48 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Are you getting any warning message?
>>

> when i tried to open it from command line $ inkscape
> T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps:1: parser
> error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
> ����
> ^
>
> and there's a pop-up with message "Failed to load the requested file
> T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps"

That error is quite similar to the one reported at Debian BTS.

Check if the version of Inkscape that you are running is affected by that
bug. As per the report, starting from 0.47 the error should be fixed.

Camaleón

Apr 23, 2010, 1:30:02 PM4/23/10
El 2010-04-24 a las 00:31 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis escribió:

(you forgot replying to the list)

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Camaleón wrote:

> > > when i tried to open it from command line $ inkscape
> > > T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps:1: parser
> > > error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
> > > ����
> > > ^
> > >
> > > and there's a pop-up with message "Failed to load the requested file
> > > T-SHIRTMODELS-by_APEstar.eps"
> >
> > That error is quite similar to the one reported at Debian BTS.
> >
> > Check if the version of Inkscape that you are running is affected by that
> > bug. As per the report, starting from 0.47 the error should be fixed.
> >

> oh...mine is 0.46 on debian lenny

If you can't update, at least you can add your comments into that bug
;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20100423170...@stt008.linux.site

Liam O'Toole

Apr 23, 2010, 1:40:02 PM4/23/10
On 2010-04-23, Umarzuki Mochlis <umar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --000e0cd112f6a7783f0484e81498

As an alternative, openoffice.org can open .eps files.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/slrnht3mb9.bu7...@dipsy.selfip.org