Squid for apt.

1 view

pgega

May 19, 2008, 8:00:12 AM5/19/08

I am running plenty of small debian installation on vmserver and I
wish I could you squid for caching apt-get's downloads.
I recently set squid , but as far as I can understand access.log my
squid is always downloading files from internet , not from its cache.

Would you have some experience in 'caching apt' ?

Should squid's host and all clients use the same DNS ?

Thanks,
Pawel

Sven Hoexter

May 19, 2008, 9:00:16 AM5/19/08
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 04:38:55AM -0700, pgega wrote:

Hi,

> I am running plenty of small debian installation on vmserver and I
> wish I could you squid for caching apt-get's downloads.
> I recently set squid , but as far as I can understand access.log my
> squid is always downloading files from internet , not from its cache.
>
> Would you have some experience in 'caching apt' ?

Works fine here. Setting 'maximum_object_size 100 MB' or even higher
and a 'cache_dir' big enough is important.

Or maybe you set 'minimum_object_size' too high?

HTH,
Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world

pgega

May 19, 2008, 10:00:17 AM5/19/08
Thanks very much,

It looks it has started working.

On May 19, 2:00 pm, "Sven Hoexter" <s...@timegate.de> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 04:38:55AM -0700, pgega wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I am running plenty of small debian installation on vmserver and I
> > wish I could you squid for caching apt-get's downloads.
> > I recently set squid , but as far as I can understand access.log my
> > squid is always downloading files from internet , not from its cache.
>
> > Would you have some experience in 'caching apt' ?
>
> Works fine here. Setting 'maximum_object_size 100 MB' or even higher
> and a 'cache_dir' big enough is important.
>
> Or maybe you set 'minimum_object_size' too high?
>
> HTH,
> Sven
> --
> If God passed a mic to me to speak
> I'd say stay in bed, world
> Sleep in peace
> [The Cardigans - 03:45: No sleep]

Alex Samad

May 19, 2008, 10:50:14 AM5/19/08
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:36:44AM -0700, pgega wrote:
> Thanks very much,
>
> It looks it has started working.

maybe look at apt-cache as well ?

--
"You've also got to measure in order to begin to effect change that's just more -- when there's more than talk, there's just actual -- a paradigm shift."

- George W. Bush
07/01/2003
Washington, DC

signature.asc

Gilles Mocellin

May 19, 2008, 4:10:08 PM5/19/08
Le Monday 19 May 2008 16:41:56 Alex Samad, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:36:44AM -0700, pgega wrote:
> > Thanks very much,
> >
> > It looks it has started working.
>
> maybe look at apt-cache as well ?

There's plenty (!) of apt cache tools (perhaps only one must survive ?) :
- approx
- apt-proxy
- apt-cacher

signature.asc

Bob

May 19, 2008, 11:10:07 PM5/19/08
pgega wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running plenty of small debian installation on vmserver and I
> wish I could you squid for caching apt-get's downloads.
> I recently set squid , but as far as I can understand access.log my
> squid is always downloading files from internet , not from its cache.
>
> Would you have some experience in 'caching apt' ?
>
> Should squid's host and all clients use the same DNS ?
>
> Thanks,
> Pawel

Hi, for various reasons I have 9 Debian installs around the house and I
use apt-proxy.

It's pretty cool to be able to perform net installs in a few minutes and
updates are equally fast, after the first time. The only downside is
it's a bit picky about it's internet connection, I know that sounds
weird but when I have it connected directly to the internet with no http
proxy it stalls and doesn't work properly, when I have it behind a squid
proxy it's happy as a sand boy.

A slightly nonstandard thing I've done is I've created a different
section for each release, so instead of having
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/debian/ etch main
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/debian-security/ etch/updates main
or
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/debian/ lenny main
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/debian-security/ lenny/updates main
in my apt sources files I have
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/etch/ etch main
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/etch-security/ etch/updates main
or
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/lenny/ lenny main
deb http://192.168.24.99:9999/lenny-security/ lenny/updates main

This is because apt-proxy will only hold a certain number of versions of
any given package, although this number is configurable I found that
sometimes stable packages were being pushed out by those from sid and
testing, this way I've still got most of sarge in cache .

One thing I'm thinking of doing is editing the host file on my router so
DNS requests for debian.org return the IP of my apt-proxy so that the
hardwired security apt source at install time gets redirected to my
proxy. The problem with that is then I can't browse to debian.org,
what'd be really cool is if there was a separate apt pool address [0]
that did load balancing and had it's address hardwired into the
installer, users of an apt proxy could over ride that address at their
router so installs would automagically pull their files from the proxy.
Another benefit is that, laptops would use the proxy when inside network
but could still update when offsite, without having to edit their
sources file.

Any way, give apt-proxy a go, I took a friend off Vista the other day
and he was *blown away* that I could setup a whole OS complete with
officesuite and gimp and the rest from one CD, in under an hour, while
we had a chat and a coffee, it's freaky fast.

[0] a bit like the ntp pool