libsane-extras: epson perfection 4490 PHOTO doesn't work on amd64

Markus Grunwald

Dec 26, 2007, 9:30:14 AM12/26/07
Hello,

After making sure that the epson 4490 photo is supported by linux (debian package libsane-extras, epkowa backend) I bought this fine scanner. Works like a charm on ... you know ;)

But on my debian lenny tp61 (Linux haktar 2.6.22.5gru #4 SMP Sun Nov 18 17:58:05 CET 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux) with 64 bit linux, I can't get the scanner to work. I followed the instructions in /usr/share/doc/libsane-extras/README.Debian, added myself to the scanner group and tried scanimage -L, but the scanner didn't appear.

lsusb shows the scanner:

markus@haktar:/usr/lib$ lsusb | grep -i epson
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:0119 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 4490 Photo

lshal shows something about the scanner, too, mainly that the device is located at /dev/bus/usb/002/003

I straced scanimage but didn't find anything special. Maybe I overlook something. All I see is that the firmware, located in /usr/share/iscan/esfw54.bin isn't touched. Hmm....

I tried installing the packages from http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html without success. I tried to compile the sources, but the frontend will compile only for IA32.

As you can imagine, google didn't help me, neither. So I am out of ideas and have to double boot for the first time since almost 4 years. Have to get used to windows again :(

I hope that you can help me

--
Markus Grunwald

Registered Linux User Nr 101577 gpg/pgp fingerprint: 7E01F5FE15CEDD0A
http://counter.li.org (gpg --recv-keys 7E01F5FE15CEDD0A)
icq 314331831

Markus Grunwald

Dec 26, 2007, 1:50:12 PM12/26/07
Hello,

on http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.3 I found out, that my 64 bit sane won't work with the binary only libraries from epson. They propose to install 32 bit sane...

I have the ia32 libs installed, but how can I install 32 bit debian packages with (or without...) aptitude ?

Florian Kulzer

Dec 27, 2007, 12:10:07 PM12/27/07
On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 19:45:44 +0100, Markus Grunwald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.3
> I found out, that my 64 bit sane won't work with the binary only
> libraries from epson. They propose to install 32 bit sane...
>
> I have the ia32 libs installed, but how can I install 32 bit debian
> packages with (or without...) aptitude ?

I don't know if anybody has already figured out a 64bit wrapper for the
32bit epson libraries (like they did for Adobe's flashplayer).

If all else fails then you can set up a 32bit chroot environment and run
the 32bit version of sane and the epson libraries in there.

https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id292281

Florian |

Felix Karpfen

Dec 28, 2007, 6:10:19 PM12/28/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:44:28 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> If all else fails then you can set up a 32bit chroot environment and run
> the 32bit version of sane and the epson libraries in there.

A related topic - I hope.

I have used an Epson 4490 scanner (+ iscan) successfully in a Debian Sarge
environment. When I upgraded to Debian Etch, the Epson-supplied versions
of iscan + proprietary plugin -

/iscan-plugin-gt-x750-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm -

started to balk. iscan now sends the following error message:

/usr/share/iscan/esfw54.bin/esfw54.bin: Not a directory

which is true. There is a file - "/usr/share/iscan/esfw54.bin"; the
directory (?) does not exist.

Despite this error, I have - by coaxing and massage - managed to persuade
Etch to recognise the scanner.

The posting from Florian Kulzer inspired me to revisit the Avasys site.

I found that both iscan and the iscan plugin have been updated.

The new plugin reads:

/iscan-plugin-gt-x750-1.0.0-1.c2.i386.rpm

Does any Debian Etch user have experience with this updated version of the
plugin (and with the updated version of iscan [2.10.0-1.c2])?

I do not wish to replace something that works badly in Etch with something
that does not work all.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen