installing a package from lenny on an etch machine...

Rick Thomas

Aug 1, 2008, 1:30:14 PM8/1/08
I want to try running "dibbler" (a DHCPv6 service) on my little home
network. It has a couple of Lenny machines and an Etch machine.
The Etch machine will be the server and the Lenny machines will be
clients.

Unfortunately, Dibbler is only available from the Lenny archives.

I tried copying the dibbler .deb onto the Etch machine and doing
"dpkg -i" on it, but this is what I got.

> # dpkg -i dibbler-doc_0.7.1-1_all.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package dibbler-doc.
> (Reading database ... 97676 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Unpacking dibbler-doc (from dibbler-doc_0.7.1-1_all.deb) ...
> Setting up dibbler-doc (0.7.1-1) ...
>

> # dpkg -i dibbler-server_0.7.1-1_powerpc.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package dibbler-server.
> (Reading database ... 97684 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Unpacking dibbler-server (from dibbler-server_0.7.1-1_powerpc.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dibbler-server:
> dibbler-server depends on libc6 (>= 2.7-1); however:
> Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6.ds1-13etch7.
> dibbler-server depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1); however:
> Version of libstdc++6 on system is 4.1.1-21.
> dpkg: error processing dibbler-server (--install):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> dibbler-server

As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server"
package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.

I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now. And I
really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny
libraries.

So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
source package and recompile it on Etch.

Can anybody tell me how to do that? RTFM is easy if you know what
parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM,
that will be great!

Thanks!

Rick

Tomasz Mrugalski

Aug 1, 2008, 3:20:09 PM8/1/08
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 somebody known as Rick Thomas wrote:

> As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server"
> package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.
>
> I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now. And I
> really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny
> libraries.
>
> So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
> source package and recompile it on Etch.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to do that? RTFM is easy if you know what
> parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM,
> that will be great!

Sure. Download dibbler-0.7.1-src.tar.gz from Dibbler homepage, extract it
and compile. Since dibbler is developed under Debian I really don't expect
any troubles.

Or you can read Dibbler User's Guide. There's Linux installation section.
I'm sorry to inform all reading challenged users that latest Dibbler
release does not yet provide comic user's guide.
(Sorry, I coudn't resist ;)

For totally lazy users, here are the commands:
wget -nd http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/dibbler/dibbler-0.7.1-src.tar.gz
tar zxvf dibbler-0.7.1-src.tar.gz
cd dibbler-0.7.1
make client server relay
(or make client if you need client only)

If you want to build DEB packages, download latest CVS snapshot (debian/
directory is not distributed with src.tar.gz) and follow
doc/RELEASE-METHOD (short version is that you must type:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot)
Some extra tools for building deb packages will be required.

Hope that helps. Also, Lenny is to be released within a few months.
Dibbler hopefully will be part of it.

Sorry about being sarcastic. I couldn't resist. User's Guide is really
plain and simple. :)

Regards,
Tomek

Jérémie Corbier

Aug 1, 2008, 4:10:14 PM8/1/08
On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 01:17:00PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
> I want to try running "dibbler" (a DHCPv6 service) on my little home network.
> It has a couple of Lenny machines and an Etch machine. The Etch machine will
> be the server and the Lenny machines will be clients.
>
> Unfortunately, Dibbler is only available from the Lenny archives.
>
> I tried copying the dibbler .deb onto the Etch machine and doing "dpkg -i" on
> it, but this is what I got.

You can try to use wide-dhcpv6-server as a replacement for dibbler-server. You
won't have to compile anything since it is available in the official Etch
archive.

Cheers,

--
Jeremie