Explain the contents of bootloader...

Puneet B

Jan 2, 2014, 4:49:01 AM1/2/14
to linux...@googlegroups.com
Hi i flashed the cubieboard image to sd card from this link.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlUFd5OHVOaFJIRmc/edit.

then in Volumn(bootlaoder)  folder of sdcard i got fallowing binaries.

1.boot.axf
2.boot_signature.axf
3.drv_hdmi.drv
4.font32.sft
5.magic.bin
6.prvt.axf
7.script.bin
8.boot.ini
9.drv_de.drv
10.font24.sft
11.linux       -> linux.bmp  linux.ini  u-boot.bin (sub contents).
12.os_show   ->bat0.bmp   bat2.bmp  bat5.bmp  bat8.bmp     bempty.bmp    full.bmp    linux2.bmp   melis2.bmp   wince1.bmp
                  bat10.bmp  bat3.bmp  bat6.bmp  bat9.bmp     bootlogo.bmp  head.bmp    low_pwr.bmp  startup.bmp  wince2.bmp
                  bat1.bmp   bat4.bmp  bat7.bmp  battery.bmp  empty.bmp     linux1.bmp  melis1.bmp   tail.bmp

13.script0.bin
14.sprite.axf

Out of these i know script.bin , and u-boot.bin (but i flashed to /dev/sdc ).

Kindly tell what will be purpose of remaining binaries.

and tell me what will be difference between boot0 ,boot1 and sunxi-spl.bin ,u-boot.bin.

Regards
Punith

Olliver Schinagl

Jan 2, 2014, 10:05:04 AM1/2/14
to linux...@googlegroups.com
On 02-01-14 10:49, Puneet B wrote:
> Hi i flashed the cubieboard image to sd card from this link.
>
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlUFd5OHVOaFJIRmc/edit.
>
> then in Volumn(bootlaoder) folder of sdcard i got fallowing binaries.
>
> 1.boot.axf
This is the allwinner 'battery charging app' that also chainloads u-boot
if need so.
> 2.boot_signature.axf
this is some sort of signature required by boot.axf i assume
> 3.drv_hdmi.drv
this is the HDMI driver to output over ... hdmi yes
> 4.font32.sft
a font
> 5.magic.bin
some secret sauce
> 6.prvt.axf
some private data
> 7.script.bin
the famous script.bin/fex
> 8.boot.ini
a dos file for boot.axf to parse to decide what to boot
> 9.drv_de.drv
display engine driver
> 10.font24.sft
a nother font!
> 11.linux -> linux.bmp linux.ini u-boot.bin (sub contents).
the linux splash screen (android actually) an ini file to tell boot.axf
what and how to boot it (it being u-boot).
u-boot here is the lichee-u-boot, one that does NOT init dram, but DOES
support NAND
> 12.os_show ->bat0.bmp bat2.bmp bat5.bmp bat8.bmp bempty.bmp
> full.bmp linux2.bmp melis2.bmp wince1.bmp
> bat10.bmp bat3.bmp bat6.bmp bat9.bmp
> bootlogo.bmp head.bmp low_pwr.bmp startup.bmp wince2.bmp
> bat1.bmp bat4.bmp bat7.bmp battery.bmp
> empty.bmp linux1.bmp melis1.bmp tail.bmp
boot.axf image files (like empty battery, charging, some pics they
intended to use as boot selector that never happened.

> 13.script0.bin
backup copy of script.bin, in case 1 is broken it tries to read this one
> 14.sprite.axf
helper program to handle the loading of bitmaps it would seem.

> Out of these i know script.bin , and u-boot.bin (but i flashed to
> /dev/sdc ).
you cannot flash that u-boot to a SD card, it works only on nand, and
you shouldn't mess with it.

> Kindly tell what will be purpose of remaining binaries.
>
> and tell me what will be difference between boot0 ,boot1 and
> sunxi-spl.bin ,u-boot.bin.
YOu really don't know this yet? Have you ever looked at our wiki?

boot0 is allwinner's version of what we call u-boot-sunxi-spl. boot1 is
allwinners variant of what we call u-boot.bin boot0/1 is what we call
u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin which is inteded to be flashed to an mmc card,
starting at the 8k marker.

Oliver

> Regards
> Punith

Puneet B

Jan 3, 2014, 8:22:42 AM1/3/14
to linux...@googlegroups.com, olive...@schinagl.nl
Hi Olliver,

Thanks for your reply.

where is uImage ?

I did not find uImage  neither in Volummn nor in other partition.

But kernel is booting fine.

Regards
Punith

Olliver Schinagl

Jan 3, 2014, 8:49:19 AM1/3/14
to Puneet B, linux...@googlegroups.com
On 03-01-14 14:22, Puneet B wrote:
> Hi Olliver,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> where is uImage ?
The android kernel? Guess

> I did not find uImage neither in Volummn nor in other partition.
You never read our wiki have you?

> But kernel is booting fine.
Of course it is, but let me help you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+is+the+kernel+image+on+an+android+device&l=1